News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Kenwood CC, Bethesda, Maryland--For You Historians
« on: July 05, 2017, 08:11:40 AM »
I have been unable to identify the original architect for our home course: Kenwood in Bethesda. It opened in 1928 and had 27 holes, but 9 were sold off for development many years ago.  It is not a particularly distinguished layout, but it does have some cool old blind and semi-blind tee shots and some interesting green complexes.  Ault did re-work a number of years ago.  I would appreciate any information about the original architect, although the Earth will continue to turn if he or she remains a mystery to me.

Thanks,

Ira

MCirba

Re: Kenwood CC, Bethesda, Maryland--For You Historians
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 01:22:24 PM »
Ira,

It seems very likely from the little bit I've looked at that the course was developed and built by the original owners and developers of Kenwood Edgar Kennedy and Donal Chamberlin

Kennedy had been a landscape architect in his native England. If you search on those two names you can find a lot of information. Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:30:45 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 02:17:31 PM »
Many thanks!

Ira

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 02:33:16 PM »
Ira,

It also appears that Kenwood had only 9 holes built that opened in 1928, and then built the other nine (across the street?) during the 30s.   
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Carl Nichols

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 03:02:46 PM »
Ira,

It also appears that Kenwood had only 9 holes built that opened in 1928, and then built the other nine (across the street?) during the 30s.

Mike,
I recall someone on GCA thinking that was a different course, which is NLE.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 07:54:58 PM »
Kenwood is mentioned here in this article published by the Montgomery County Historical Society by William M. Offut " A Short History Of County Country Clubs"

http://montgomeryhistory.org/pdf/46-4.pdf
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Ira Fishman

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 11:07:50 AM »
Thanks to all for the information.  It looks as if the original 9 from the 1920s is NLE, but still a bit murky as to the lineage for the current 18.  In any event, the club is owned/run by the Chamberlin family so I will see if the grandson may know the details.

Ira

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back