News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Merion to Host Curtis Cup in 2022
« on: May 23, 2017, 03:41:16 PM »
This will be the 19th USGA Championship event to be held at Merion:

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2017/05/merion-to-host-curtis-cup-in-2022.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Anthony Gholz

Re: Merion to Host Curtis Cup in 2022
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 05:06:36 PM »
If like other Curtis Cups we've attended (Chicago GC & St Louis CC) it'll be one of the only chances for some of us to walk those fairways and see good golf without straining behind 8 deep lines of people.  On my schedule

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 05:14:54 PM »
The members that give up their clubs for these events are saints. Or too old to still play golf. Either way....crazy generous.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 05:18:54 PM »
Wonder if technology will render it a "boutique" Curtis Cup by then.....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 07:30:05 PM »
So cool.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 09:53:28 PM »
And Joe Bausch will be walking with a group keeping score.
AKA Mayday

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 04:52:44 AM »
And in 2020 the Curtis Cup will be held at Conwy, a vast contrast in sophistication to Merion.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 06:34:42 AM »
Devil's Advocate
     -Repeated events at courses like Merion give exposure to great golf courses (See Gholz reference above);

-Repeated events at courses like Merion deny other courses/regions the opportunity to host such events;
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 07:53:19 AM »
1 - The members at all these great American classics should indeed by recognized & applauded for their generosity.
2. Since these are in fact great classic courses, I'm dismayed that championships are rarely held on the *same* courses the members play the other 300+ days a year.
3. That sometimes the post championship courses become what members *will play* the other 300+ days a year is a shame.
4. We often discuss the 'Augusta syndrome' and its effects on costs and expectations across the high-end board, but USGA championships have created their own syndromes too - more subtle but perhaps more pernicious.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 07:59:06 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 08:00:46 AM »
If like other Curtis Cups we've attended (Chicago GC & St Louis CC) it'll be one of the only chances for some of us to walk those fairways and see good golf without straining behind 8 deep lines of people.  On my schedule

It is a great day with no ropes and pretty much unfettered access to the golf course. I was thrilled when attending the 2010 Curtis Cup at Essex County to be able to walk down the middle of fairways and up on the greens if no contestants were on a particular hole. Members who were marshaling could not have been more accommodating and proud to show off their golf course.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:02:54 AM by Tim Martin »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 10:05:08 AM »

It is a great day with no ropes and pretty much unfettered access to the golf course. I was thrilled when attending the 2010 Curtis Cup at Essex County to be able to walk down the middle of fairways and up on the greens if no contestants were on a particular hole. Members who were marshaling could not have been more accommodating and proud to show off their golf course.

Tim,

Were you wearing your GolfWeek rater shirt? Members love that.

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 10:18:31 AM »

Tim,

Were you wearing your GolfWeek rater shirt? Members love that.

JK-NY Giants tee shirt just to f..k with the Boston faithful.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 12:44:17 PM »
I wonder how this will effect their major course renovations that are planned?

Anyone have any idea?

ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 05:50:00 AM »
Yep, can only concur with Mark L, that any event that can happily move from Conwy (annual fees considerably less than one thousand dollars) to Merion (annual fees possibly rather more), has to be rather special!

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 08:48:59 PM »
I wonder how this will effect their major course renovations that are planned?

Anyone have any idea?

ed

I can't imagine it will have any impact. If they move forward (and it looks like they will), everything should be done years before this event.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back