News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Rooney

Australia (Visited)
« on: April 05, 2017, 11:56:31 PM »
Recently finished a wonderful golf tour,playing (10) courses in (11) days.
Great:
Ausi attitude displaying assistance and friendliness.
The golf was outstanding starting with NSW in a gale and every day presenting a better MacKenzie course,i.e. Victoria,Kingston Heath and the greatest,Royal Melbourne with it's impressive elevation changes.
The King Island Cape Wickham course was greatly revered;however,Ocean Dunes(Gramme Grant) was an incredible 'Sleeper',featuring the most impressive 'Blow Out' bunkers I've ever seen on the front par 5's.Because it opened New in September,the first cut of rough needs to be thinned and expanded.In addition,this course features numerous 'blind shots' necessitating a strong consideration for a hole map or 'GPS' system.This course could,someday,be 'special' if the appropriate changes.
Barnbougle(Tasmania) was excellent,except for the flies,i.e. caddies stating the player has wind or flies.Played 'Lost Farm' and the 'Dunes' reasonably well,taking exception with hole #8 'Dunes'(T.Doak).This #1 handicap hole(459 yds) played into a strong wind featuring a 'cabbage patch 'Dune' in the middle of the fairway,with the second shot to a dramatically elevated green-------Dune was superfluous and overkill with the Head Pro stating a continuous number of complaints.
The National(Old Course)/RTJ,jr was the best course ever experienced from this architect,featuring wonderful balanced 'greenside' bunkering all angled and edge-cut as UK/English style.
Experienced (2) Great meals----Cape Wickham King Island Crayfish and Barnbougle 'Lost Farm' Chicken w/Risotto.
Average:
Restaurant water presented 'room temp' in juice glasses,requiring constant waitress replenishment.Australian beef was questionable,at best---Melbourne 'Rockpool Restaurant',Crayfish/$200,therefore ordered their most expensive steak ($70/TBone) which appeared 1/2 thickness of Ruth's Chris,with a definite 'roadkill' presentation.
Victoria and Kingston Heath greens were slow but perfect;whereas,Royal Melbourne West greens diseased and unpredictable.
The Lakes (GNorman) was judged last in course approval,displaying shoehorn tight holes with an abundance of water and trash filled ponds.Well bunkered but not a fun track.
Titleist balls $81.60 / Taylor Made $96 dz./Ausi
Great Experience for a 70 yr old!   

Don Jordan

Re: Australia (Visited)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 04:58:10 AM »
Hi Tim, glad you enjoyed your trip and got to play some great courses. Living in between Melbourne and Sydney I have played your list except for KI. I had the same experience on the 8th at Barnbougle, I think it is more to do with the prevailing breeze not prevailing for your visit.

The Lakes was redone by OCCM and is such a tough course. I have played amateur tournaments there over the last couple of years and off the back tees it is not much fun but a good test for the professionals, par is very tough in the events I have played.

The Old Course at the National is a lot of fun, very similar (and I think a little behind) another RTJ course - Joondalup in Western Australia. The Old has a great set of Par 3 holes but is horrible to walk! The Moonah course is the pick and arguably the best Norman course around. Can't wait to see what is done with the Ocean Course there by Mr Doak.

Glad you got to NSW and Victoria, they are both favourites of mine. I love the opening hole at Victoria and am still not sure on how all the par 3 holes play uphill, it is another OCCM redo and I think is a great balance between providing a enjoyable experience for members and as a tournament venue.

Pity about the food but hopefully the beer was cold.

Tim Rooney

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 07:49:58 AM »
Don,
The courses Excellent,and the Beer cold but the Shiraz was Great!

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »
Thanks Tim.  Sorry to hear about the RMW greens.  They were struggling when I visited 10-11 years ago but I had the impression that they had recovered.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 03:06:57 PM »
I'm astonished at the criticism of the food.  I consider myself a bit of a food snob and I really enjoyed eating in Australia when I was there in November.  Fresh, really ripe fruit and veg, great seafood and good meat and interesting influences in the cooking.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 03:44:05 PM »
I agree with Mark about the food.  I was in OZ for 3 full weeks, NSW, Vic, Tas., and never had one questionable meal, morning, lunch or dinner.  I loved their beef for its more full flavor, grass fed taste.  I mentioned to my wife that I think we have become accustomed to feed lot corn fed unnatural feed beef here and have forgotten what it should taste like.  I experienced same in Ireland and Scotland, where feed is natural grass fed more often than not.  I think those countries regulate feed and additives far more strict.  Same with poultry.  To each their own tastes of course.

As to the golf tour, congrats on a wonderful trip.  I only played 5 of those you mentioned, but will never forget the Aussie style of presentation of their courses, and their playing-sporting-hospitality ethos.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark_F

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 05:35:16 PM »
Australian beef was questionable,at best---Melbourne 'Rockpool Restaurant',Crayfish/$200,therefore ordered their most expensive steak ($70/TBone) which appeared 1/2 thickness of Ruth's Chris,with a definite 'roadkill' presentation.

If you at a steak at Rock pool, it would have been dry aged beef, which is completely different from normal meat.  You also can't absorb any more than 28 grams of protein during a meal, so whining about the size of the steak is silly - you need to eat less meat and eat more vegetables. 

Chris Kane

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 06:47:41 PM »

Titleist balls $81.60 / Taylor Made $96 dz./Aus
Seems very high...which shop?

Tim Rooney

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 07:07:59 PM »
Chris,
Barnbougle Dunes.

Tim Rooney

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 07:12:21 PM »
Pearce,
Kindly proof read before posting----didn't 'at' nor consume a 70 oz. steak.

Tim Rooney

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 07:14:44 PM »
Guys,
Obviously,my food experience was an aberration----thanks for your Approval!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 02:32:05 AM »
Pearce,
Kindly proof read before posting----didn't 'at' nor consume a 70 oz. steak.
Rooney,

If you're going to be rude (and someone calling me by my surname to argue with me is being rude) at least be rude to the right person.  The irony of you suggesting I proof read is marvelous but probably lost on you.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 05:32:26 PM »
Master Rooney,

I am dismayed that you struggled with the Australian cuisine. I am particularly fond of rare steak myself so steak with a "...definite roadkill presentation." sounds excellent. But then I am as skinny as all get up and the only greens I like are the ones at the end of the fairway.
And mark my words good, rare steak has lots of irony.
Haste ye back!!!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back