News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Re: Bob Huntley RIP
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »
Perhaps the timing has been orchestrated such that we remember two quality gentlemen at this time of year, and I doubt either Mr. Huntley or Mr. Palmer would be opposed to being mentioned together as being exemplary in similar ways. I hope it is appropriate for me to be thinking this way.

God bless Mr. Huntley and his family.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 12:02:58 PM »
I'll always remember the time spent with the man. He loved the game and other golfers for all the right reasons.

Btw: How many pages will this thread go before one man thanks Bob for getting them on Cypress Point? Reminds me of Bob's famous story of an indoor hat wearing alligator armed friend. Hilarious and sad running the gamut of every worthy emotion.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 12:57:23 PM »
I was lucky enough to have met 'Sir Boab' a few times, and played in his 4some once at Barona Creek.  We exchanged many IMs in years past and we also had a wonderful dinner in Nebraska where I introduced him to a similar quietly courageous fellow who served in the armed forces in Korea, and became his friend and who he hosted at MPCC.  Which was exactly in character of the man to extend the hand of friendship and generosity, sort of the "if you play golf, you are my friend" mentality. 

Like so many here, we can't say we knew him so well, like many of our close friends, yet we knew him enough that we would want to be more like him;  kind, thoughtful and intelligent, generous, and engaging with a multitude of incredible life stories. 

I think I will continue to look throughout our human lot as I go through life and hope to bump into another such good fellow, now that I know even better by his example, what one looks and acts like.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 01:02:01 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

DMoriarty

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 02:55:38 PM »
I had written this out and started a thread before I noticed Gene had already started a thread.  I'll cut and paste this here to consolidate:

Bob passed away on March 4.  He had been battling health issues for a while now, and in December his problems were compounded when he suffered a mini-stroke.  I briefly visited him about a month ago. He was impeccably dressed, sitting in a lounge chair, and still charming and in excellent spirits, yet it was readily apparent that the stroke had taken his toll. By the end of our brief conversation even simple communication had become a struggle for him, and this obviously frustrated and disappointed him. Remember, this was Bob Huntley, one of the most eloquent and erudite men any of us will ever know, and a man with extremely high standards.  He was enough himself to realize that he was slipping away, and that there was nothing he could do to get back on track. At one point Leslie left the room, and he said, "Moriarty, I am already dead." It was all I could do to keep my chin up, and all I can do to keep my chin up still now.

Since then, his struggles apparently worsened until he was hardly himself, so it was a relief when he passed away peacefully in his sleep on March 4. I believe he was 87 years old. Anyone would be lucky to live half the life he lived.

As many of you know, Bob was a wonderful man. Charm, benevolence, and magnanimity perfectly balanced with subtle yet biting wit. His generosity toward so many of us is the stuff of legend, but I will mostly miss his kindness, humor, and friendship.  My heart goes out to his wonderful wife Leslie and to all his family. I thank her for her kindness and friendship, and for sharing Bob with all of us.

Next time you take your hat off when entering a clubhouse, please think of Bob.

If anyone else has anything they'd like to express or a story they might like to share, please to do so here.  I'll try to make sure his family sees this. They might like to know how much we appreciated and adored Bob.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 03:02:41 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 05:22:38 PM »

Btw: How many pages will this thread go before one man thanks Bob for getting them on Cypress Point?

On a separate family trip to California when my oldest son was roughly 12 years old, we showed up at MPCC with shorts. We were just taking a cart tour and not playing. We were on vacation and forgot the long pants rule at MPCC, and Bob did not flinch and he jury rigged some pants for the tour for Dylan and me. Needless to say, Bob used "the pants event" to needle me for years.

I don't think it is any secret at this point that Bob's friends extended to many different paths and corners of the world. One of his closest friends in Carmel/Monterey was Admiral Hank Mauz who was our (and many others) sponsor at Cypress Point.  Bob spent many years in the Rhodesian Army, and Admiral Mauz is a graduate of the United States Naval Academy (USNA) and led a very distinguished career in the United States Navy. Uncle Bob and Admiral Mauz were so excited when Dylan "no pants" Sweeney was accepted to and matriculated at USNA. They were not Dylan's sponsors, but they celebrated the event as if he was one of their own.

Admiral Mauz was named a "Distinguished Graduate" of USNA right before Dylan Sweeney's "Induction Day" on 7/1/15:

Admiral Mauz: https://www.usna.com/document.doc?id=915

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 05:25:49 PM »
I was recently asked who the Dirty Dozen were, those people that were most influential in shaping GCA.com. Certainly, Bob was one and when I moved back from Australia in 2000, his was the first hand that I shook in America. Some years later I visited Monterey with friends and we were all held in rapture by his stories. Whether speaking about Rhodesia or a 'phlegmatic' playing partner, Bob was magnetic and once met, never forgotten. He spoke thoughtfully and meaningfully - his words carried heft and his regal status came the old fashioned way: he earned it. On two occasions I attempted a Feature Interview with him, I wish that I had been more persistent. Thankfully, his 5,000+ posts live on. There is no replacing him; he was one of a kind, a true man of the world.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 06:55:29 PM »
Sad, sad news. We've all led richer lives for having known him.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »
My condolences to Bob's family, and to those of you here who were his friends.

I didn't know Bob save for a few emails we exchanged over the years. But from those exchanges and from his posts here, I formed a picture of a man for whom an important part of good manners was modesty -- most of all, a modesty of expression. 

He wrote elegantly and well, using not a word more or less than the subject required, save for when he felt kindness or charity dictated a little more. He didn't seem ever to presume or to assume anything - he took people as they presented themselves, at face value, and responded accordingly, without airs or pretense. He was friendly but never (to use an old fashioned word he might've liked) *familiar*. He shared of himself and his life stories honestly and freely, but without a hint of preciousness or a sense of superiority or special-ness.

And as I type this, it suddenly feels as if I've learned more from Bob than I ever realized, or certainly than he (in his modesty) ever tried to teach.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Huntley

Peter   

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:03:29 PM by Peter Pallotta »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 07:53:39 PM »
Next time you take your hat off when entering a clubhouse, please think of Bob.

I have done this for years!

Like Ran, I tried to convince Bob to participate in an interview for posting on GCA (I was freelancing that idea), but never could persuade him that he had enough to say to make it worth posting. Obviously, he was wrong there. Every time I talked or emailed with him I could count on an entertaining story.

Plenty of mentions already of his kindness and generosity.  That's how I met Bob.  The 2008 Kings Putter event was in the the Monterey area, and Bob had arranged for many of us to play the Shore Course at MPCC.  As wonderful as that was, nothing compared to the message I got from him, asking if I would be interested in playing Cypress Point while I was out there.  I was floored by the offer, and of course didn't have to spend any time thinking before answering.  It felt like being called up to the majors. 

In an email before the visit, Bob wrote I think I get a bigger kick out of seeing the responses than I do in playing there.  And I think he meant it.  A month or so before we were meant to play, I got an email from him apologizing and explaining that CPC had raised their guest rate by $25 or so, and he wanted to make sure that I would be ok with the added expense!  Even though he had to know the answer, the considerate thing to do was to let us know, and I've met few (if any) people more thoughtful than him.

The rounds at CPC, MPCC, and elsewhere all went as wonderfully as you might imagine.  But my memories are just as strong when I think the of the main dinner, and the eloquent tribute that Bob gave to this discussion group - referring to it as a sort of "freemasonry of golf."  I know that it has become that for me, and as much as we all owe to Ran for creating the group, it has been wonderful people like Bob that really changed my golf life.  I am eternally grateful.

Bob and I shared a real love for dogs, and especially dogs and golf.  I was looking for a particular thread on dogs that he started, but couldn't find it.  I did run across this from him - what a way with words.

Many years ago, when a resident at Inverlochie Castle, I played  nine holes at Spaen Bridge, the local golf course. It was early evening and my wife and I were playing a hit and giggle and we came across a father and son with their two West Highland terriers. The scene was almost like something from Brigadoon, two men in harmony with their animals on a golf course in the sanctuary of a wondrous setting and complete solitude.

If this wasn't heaven then I wanted nothing else..

Dogs are the perfect companion on the links.

However, when I took my beloved Max, all 115lbs of him, a Lab/Swiss Mountain dog, out on the Shore course at MPCC his interest in the local deer population caused me to receive a reprimand from the powers that be. I retreated in shame.

I want to believe Bob is enjoying a round with Max while we venerate him. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 08:42:20 PM »
When the family holds a Celebration of Life gathering for Sir Bob, it seems to me they will have far more to celebrate than there would be at most if not almost all such celebrations.

Never met Bob, but he was kind enough to provide private advice to me on such things as my hairbrained ideas like an LPGA Masters tournament to be played at Cypress Point the same weekend as the Masters.

Dr. Mac X 2, plus husbands having a chance to cater to their wives after all those years of wives catering to husbands at Masters time.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 10:43:41 PM »

Mr. Huntley was the first member of this discussion board that I met in person, when he kindly hosted my father and I for a round at MPCC. That was the first of a many glorious days I shared with him - more than I rightfully deserved. Having met many more members of this tree house through the years, I know that MANY of you were similarly blessed by his many kindnesses. After he finally gave up most of his interest in playing the game a few years ago, due to his waning physical prowess, we continued to exchange correspondence every so often. It seemed as though there was at most 2-3 degrees of separation between Bob and anyone else intimately involved with the game of golf, and he was a treasure trove of anecdotes about many of the game's greatest professionals and celebrity enthusiasts.

I am very grateful to have known him and I hope I can repay at least a portion of his kindnesses by following in his enormously influential and elegant footsteps.

God bless, Sir Huntley.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:43:43 AM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Scott Warren

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2017, 10:46:37 PM »
I'm among those fortunate to have known Bob, albeit only two loops of MPCC a couple of years apart and occasional PMs and emails as time passed.

He was the sort of person though that even knowing him as glancingly as I did, you felt like a firm friend and knowing him meant so much to you.

One of my most enjoyable days on a golf course was the below from my honeymoon -- a game of Wolf at MPCC Dunes with Bob, Mike Benham & Tom Huckaby. Bob's swing was still a fine thing even as it disappointed him in his autumn years. Late 2012 I returned and he wasn't well enough to play, but walked the first 11 holes with us. Not being able to participate clearly upset him.

He had a million of the best stories you ever heard, and the telling was half of the greatness of them.

I'm richer for having known him -- and not only for somehow managing to liberate him of two US doillar bills (which I have to this day as a keepsake) in that 2010 game of Wolf!

EDIT -- Found them in my folder of scorecards with the card from that day!

Finally, the tagline in my posts "GCA.com -- the Freemasonry of golf" -- was taken from one of Bob's posts here on GCA. The best tribute we can pay Bob is to try to live up to the admirable way he conducted himself online and in life.

RIP Bob.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:16:24 PM by Scott Warren »

rjsimper

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2017, 10:50:01 PM »
A gentleman among men, and a giant among gentlemen.
He will be missed by scores.
Thanks for everything, Bob.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 10:51:49 PM »
I was lucky enough to be able to meet Bob Huntley and many other GCAers at the 2008 King’s Putter mentioned by my friend, John Mayhugh. It was a very special 3 or 4 days for all of us and Bob was at the center of the event. He was one of those rare individuals who was noticed when he entered a room. The smile, the grace and warmth were contagious.

The story I want to share about Bob follows. It takes a short build-up but I think it typical of many of our experiences with Bob and worth telling. I had been a contributor for a year or so at the time and did not know a lot of people from this board.

That spring, through a thoughtful invitation from Sean Leary to play Aldarra near Seattle, I met and played with a young man named Jordan Wall, who at the time was a very youthful, sincere, energetic and in some ways naïve enthusiast of golf architecture. He had been posting a lot at the time and was well-liked as well as the target of friendly fun. He was 16 years old, did not have a driver’s license and was having family problems. He desperately wanted to go to the King’s Putter that year.

I had registered and had arranged to meet up with John Mayhugh and Tim Bert for a game in advance of the King’s Putter. After talking to Jordan we thought about him flying to SF where I could meet up with him after flying from Vancouver. He could not rent a car and had no credit card but we thought, what the heck, Jordan and I could meet up at the SF Airport, I would have a rental car and needed to get a hotel room in any event so Jordan, let’s go! David Stamm and others kindly agreed. Jordan’s family arranged a flight for him and we met up and joined everyone at the King’s Putter which was a wonderful extended weekend.

I met Bob Huntley briefly that weekend (and many others) but barely got to know him.

On the Monday after that weekend, much to my surprise, I received a voice mail message from Bob. I called back, wondering why GCA royalty would be calling. He simply said: “Mr. Jenkins, nice to meet you last weekend, I believe you had something to do with young Jordan attending the KP.  That was nice of you, would you like to play Cypress Point on July 22 (I remember the date)? You will be playing with ___ and ___ at 8:00 a.m. if you can make it”.

Shocked as I was, I found a way to make it back down there on July 22. Not only did I end up at Cypress but Bob asked me to join him in the afternoon for a round at Monterey Peninsula on the Dunes course. That was one of the most wonderful days of my life and every moment with Bob was an absolute pleasure and treat. For my simple act towards Jordan, Bob went out of his way to give me an experience I will never forget.

I know there are thousands of similar stories out there about Bob.

Bless you, Bob

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2017, 11:11:31 PM »
Please don't go Bob.
Thank you for your friendship and kindness.
Meeting you at Kings Putter was unforgettable.
I share a little of you every time I play when I say to myself and to my friends "How you won the Open Championship once... on the range"
I love Neil's picture of you on the 17th of Sand Hills!
You made all of our lives more "fair" by being a friend.
Peace & Love

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2017, 11:49:02 PM »
I never had the pleasure of meeting Bob but surely wish the opportunity had come up.  As evidenced by all who have responded, a true gentleman.

My thoughts and prayers to his family.

Far and sure, Bob!

jeffwarne

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2017, 11:51:27 PM »
RIP Sir Bob.

We exchanged many emails and phone calls over the years-reciprocating with each other taking care of mutual friends and members at our respective courses.

We often spoke of getting together and me giving him the lesson that would once and for all cure the woes that plagued his golf game late in his life..
Sadly we never did...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2017, 11:54:57 PM »
I've often wondered when this day would come. Very sad it has arrived.
The depth of feeling in the previous posts and the indelible memories in the minds of those who met Bob speak for themselves.
I spent a day with Bob in 2012. He was as I anticipated and hoped. A gem, and one who will be sorely missed. I will remember hearing about his experiences, the potato market, and his other stories. I remember the bowls of soup for lunch, and how lucky we are that the game of golf takes us to the places it does, and allows us to meet people such as Mr. Huntley.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tim Leahy

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2017, 02:36:39 AM »
I met Bob once at a dinner in Palm Springs for the Kings Putter. He captivated the group with stories of golf from around the world and was the epitomy of a gentleman. Earlier that day in the clubhouse of a course we were playing I noticed half the room that already hadnt remove their hats. I heard someone say Bob was coming and I have removed my hat in the clubhouse ever since.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

David Davis

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2017, 05:20:56 AM »
As wonderful a life Bob lived this is still such sad news and a great loss for GCA. I had only had email contact with Bob with plans that never materialized of meeting for dinner. I was with close friends of his in his neck of the woods in 2011 and he was elsewhere unfortunately. This last year I was there again in October and tried to contact him to make good on that dinner to no avail and last week when I read this sad news, of all places on Facebook through a mutual friend of ours that had travelled the world golfing with Bob, I realized it was simply not meant to be. It was not my place to bring this news to the Treehouse but I was concerned in not seeing it as well. I'm happy it was finally shared.

The stories above by those that were graced spending some time with him are wonderful and exactly how I imagined him to be in person.

Very sorry for our loss and condolences to his family. It seems Sir Bob lead us all by example, and a worthy one to follow it is. RIP!
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Sean_A

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2017, 09:19:48 AM »
I rarely contribute to threads of this nature when it involves a person I don't know, but clearly Mr Huntley is an exceptional case. Like many others, I too was the beneficiary of Bob's kindness.  Without ever having had personal contact with Bob, one very random day I received a message stating that he would be happy to arrange a game at Cypress Point for me.  Rather astonished and confounded I replied that it was a very kind offer, but that it was obviously meant for someone else.  He had clearly pressed the wrong contact person. Bob graciously responded that he double checked and the message was meant for me  8)  I never did make the trip, but that is beside the point.  Amongst a limitless number of generous and remarkable people I have had the good fortune to associate with though the game of golf, Bob stood out as extraordinary.  I have a lot of time for Bob and will long regret not taking the opportunity to meet him. 

Acta est fabula, plaudite!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:27:59 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2017, 09:27:41 AM »
Upon learning of my interest in the design work of Mike Strantz, Bob, through the kindness of his heart, offered to post me a copy of Strantz's original brochure given out to the club members at MPCC, which contained hole-by-hole sketches and plans of Strantz's design proposals. I enthusiastically took him up on his offer and true to his word, a package arrived with me in the UK a couple of weeks later, with the beautiful brochure inside. It remains one of my most treasured golfing pieces.

I'm saddened to hear of his passing and regret that the only thanks I was ever able to give him was in writing.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

George Pazin

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2017, 10:08:36 AM »
I had heard recently he was in very poor health, so I'm greatly saddened but not surprised to learn of his passing. I'm even more saddened I never got to meet him in person.

I did exchange a couple phone calls with Bob, it's a story that's been shared on here before. I had a friend who was in a late stage battle with cancer that he ultimately lost, but not before Bob was able to meet up with him at Pebble Beach and subsequently share a round with my friend at the new MPCC club. Bob hosted my friend Eric and Eric's friend at the then new Strantz designed course, and Eric played quite well, in spite of his failing health (Eric could barely talk at that stage). I like to think Bob's influence gave Eric the strength he needed to enjoy the round; I know I drew inspiration from those simple phone calls.

Well played, Bob Huntley.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

KBanks

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2017, 10:43:39 AM »
I hope that Gib will enter an appearance on the subject of our friend Bob Huntley. He long ago captured my thoughts in describing Bob as one of the most regal and erudite men he has known.

Bob was one of nature's gentlemen and, as he was to so many here, very kind and generous in his correspondence with me.  He had a rare gift for the elegant turn of phrase. A memory of one of his posts on GCA recalls these qualities. In seeking persons interested in playing CPC, he described the experience of arriving at and playing there without ever mentioning it by name. When I told him he had perfectly evoked CPC he said he did it that way to see who might respond and how, and that he would assess them by the "cut of their jib".

Thoughts and prayers for his family.

Ken

DMoriarty

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2017, 11:33:22 AM »
Leslie asked that I include her email in the thread:  leslie@huntley.com   If anyone would like the mailing address, PM me and I will forward it.

Last time I golfed with Bob he gave me swing advice.  "Be more athletic."
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back