News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gene Greco

Bob Huntley RIP
« on: March 15, 2017, 01:38:46 AM »
     I know there are many on here who knew Bob, a true gentleman and raconteur extraordinaire who was a most gracious and generous individual.
He passed about a week ago in Carmel, California.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 08:34:16 AM by Ran Morrissett »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

James Bennett

Re: Bob Huntley RIP
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 02:23:26 AM »
thanks Gene

I hadn't heard.
He was a unique individual, someone I hope I never forget. Generous and competitive.
He also made you want to be a better person yourself.

James B
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 04:09:48 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Neil Regan

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 02:28:11 AM »
A good man, a great man, and, among so much else, the soul of golf.

Thank you, Bob.

May God take you into heaven.
Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 02:31:12 AM »
What a pity.   Truly one of nicest men one will ever meet.  When reading some Darwin or the histories of golf it is very easy to transfer Bob into those plays. He is what I envision what golf, and its players was, and should, be. My condolences to his family.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 02:18:08 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Ash Towe

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 02:46:53 AM »
Bob was a man who epitomised what was best about life and golf.

A truely great human being.

Sincere condolences to his family.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 05:36:51 AM »
Sad news indeed. The man was pithy and erudite. His lack of participation on the site the last few years was a great loss. No one sent me to the dictionary more than Sir Bob. Condolences to his family.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 06:45:08 AM »
 :'(
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 06:52:41 AM »
Thank you for posting the sad news. When I first came on this site, Bob was still actively posting and it was clear how well he was regarded. As Pete points out his posts were always erudite, as well as being well-mannered and to the point. I recall that many on here would try and goad him into recounting one of his many stories and it was always a delight when he did.

When I was organising a golfing trip to California last year with some friends, one kind soul on here put me in touch with Bob and Bob kindly organised a game for us at MPCC. Unfortunately for various reasons the game fell through and I never met Bob which I very much regret. Another reminder that life is too short.

Niall 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 06:59:00 AM »
Damn.  I was reading an old thread yesterday in which Bob had participated, and wondered to myself about his health, because he had been absent for too long.

Bob was a thoughtful and valuable contributor to the board and a real gentleman ... both of which are in short supply these days [and not just on Golf Club Atlas].  We never actually met, but I do have a couple of very nice notes from him years ago, which I will always think of when I think of him. 

I had hoped to pick his brain a bit more about southern Africa before I venture that way, and will certainly be thinking of him when I do.  I'm just sorry I won't be able to send him the book.

BCrosby

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 07:58:04 AM »
Terrible news. I never met Bob, but we spoke on the phone several times.

Bob was the kind of golfer we should all aspire to be.

May he rest in peace.

Bob

Rich Goodale

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 08:16:10 AM »
My first contact with Bob was back in 2001 in his reply when I posted something on GCA regarding Nchanga golf club in Zambia.  Of course (I was later to learn) Bob knew the place backwards and forward, as he had for many of the most interesting golf courses in the world.  Bob was an Old Wykehamist who personified the motto of his School, "Manners Maketh Man."  I knew he was not well, for many years, but I'll remember my last visit with him, at the 19th hole at Pebble Beach in 2013. He'll be teeing it up with John Bernhardt today, wherever they might be.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 08:18:14 AM »
Sad news to hear; never met Mr Huntley, but we exchanged messages on a handful of times.  Always generous with his time and words of wisdom/encouragement.   Despite what I always took as someone who had lived an almost Don Quixote type life he was always respectful to this simple man from KY.  I hope St Pete has open tee times for what will no doubt be some rousing games of Wolf.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 08:40:07 AM »
I am so grateful for a post where he said, "Life's about building relationships." I hadn't thought of it that way before, but eventually his wisdom took.

I was reminded of Bob's comment when reading this passage in Paul Kalanithi's book:
"When you come to one of the many moments in life where you must give an account of yourself, provide a ledger of what you have been, and done, and meant to the world, do not, I pray, discount that you filled a dying man's days with a sated joy, a joy unknown to me in all my prior years, a joy that does not hunger for more and more but rests, satisfied. In this time, right now, that is an enormous thing."

sic transit gloria mundi
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 09:09:32 AM »
I met Bob once, while traveling to Pebble Beach with Ian Andrew. We were at Cypress Point and the pro in the shop told us that, "Mr. Huntley was coming to meet us." I assumed he was a member -- he wasn't. He was just well known in the area.

We had lunch at Pebble and then Bob joined us for part of our round the next day at MPCC. He told me the story about his failed attempt to corner the South African potato market, which is something I'll never forget.

A very interesting gentleman who I wish I had known better.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 09:40:31 AM »
This is so sad.  I was very fortunate to have met him at KP I in San Diego many years ago. Listening to him tell stories at Pete's house was amazing.  We spoke over the years and got the chance to play at Monterey with him. I somehow even managed to take some of his money playing wolf.

He will be missed.   :'(

Mike Hendren

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 09:41:54 AM »
I am broken hearted and in tears.  A month ago I touched base with Tom Huckaby to get  Bob's e-mail address.  Now I know why I didn't hear back from Bob.  I had intended to start a thread for people to praise and thank Bob while he could enjoy it.  Too damn late. 

Bob Huntley is the guy you wanted to be.  God Bless those of you who remember him this day.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:47:24 AM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 09:47:50 AM »

Bob Huntley was the guy you wanted to be.

Mike

I believe that says everything as succinctly as possible.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 09:50:38 AM »

Bob Huntley was the guy you wanted to be.

Mike

I believe that says everything as succinctly as possible.

He really was. 

Tim Bert

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 10:10:51 AM »
I'm so sad to learn this news.  I had the pleasure of playing golf with Bob, visiting his home, and having dinner with his Bob and his wife - all for the most part as a stranger to him before these interactions.  He loved the game and loved to share it with others that shared his passion.

Thoughts and prayers for the family.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 10:58:55 AM »
Damn.  I was reading an old thread yesterday in which Bob had participated, and wondered to myself about his health, because he had been absent for too long.

That thread triggered the same response in me. I never met Bob but we chatted occasionally and I often heard of his hosting generosity. A great loss indeed.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

PCCraig

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 11:26:41 AM »
Very sad news. I never met Bob but we had exchanged messages in the past and he was always a gentleman in every sense of the word.
H.P.S.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 11:28:12 AM »
Technically not a great photograph, but a favorite of mine. Bob and Neil on Park Avenue in NYC. Bob sporting the "Hipster Scarf" long before they were seen in Brooklyn:

Rest In Peace
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

SL_Solow

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 11:36:43 AM »
our world has been diminished by his passing.  He was a truly wonderful gentleman with a developed sense of humor.  My condolences to the family.

Jason Topp

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 11:38:46 AM »
There are special people in the world who transport you for a visit to an entirely new and interesting world view.  Listening to Bob discuss his experiences in sport, with movie stars and on golf courses is about as good as it gets. 

Despite his interesting life, he attacked the game of golf with passion and vigor and suffered the same disappointments we all suffer. 

I will treasure the limited time I got to spend with Bob.  Rest well Sir!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 11:47:39 AM »
I’m so sorry to hear this news. He was an incredible gentleman and very generous with his time and wisdom.

I was in contact with Bob leading up to a trip to Carmel in July 2014. We spoke a few times in hopes of meeting up but he was just out of the hospital and still in pain. I regret that I was never able to meet him.

I remember my first email to him that included a greeting of “Mr. Huntley-” His response was very gracious and closed with: “Please call me Bob.”

We’ll miss you, Bob.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back