News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Is a course re-opening rare?
« on: January 10, 2017, 01:27:50 PM »
It looks like Salt lake City's Wingpointe at the airport is going to reopen. I'm actually glad they're doing this as its a fun course and a Arthur Hill work that is actually fun! :) I'd rate it a 3.5 to 4 on the DS, so its nothing special, but there are a few neat holes.

This past year while playing taxi for my wife who travels for work, I had noticed they kept the greens alive but pretty much let the rest of it go.

So two questions really. 

Is something like this rare in the US?

How much work will it take to bring the course back having missed a full year of maintenance?

http://fox13now.com/2016/04/28/wingpointe-golf-course-slated-to-reopen/

MCirba

Re: Is a course re-opening rare?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 01:30:22 PM »
I love it, Kalen!   As you know, I was/am a big Wingpointe fan.   Yes, it has clear drawbacks but it is great fun, as well.   ;D

I've seen courses re-open, only to close again.

Brigantine CC in NJ (Stiles/Van Kleek) closed during the Depression only to be rebuilt from their original plans in the 1950s by Garrett Renn.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

BCowan

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
Kalen,

Brandywine in the Toledo Area which i am pretty sure is Art Hills first course and very much disliked by locals is re opening for the 3rd time.  Andersons bought the land on 2-8 and built its new Headquarters there (The high land).  They took the 9 hole executive course and made a new 18, using 1 and 9 and 10-18 from original course.  Hills courses have staying power!!!!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 10:46:41 AM »
Makena in Hawaii had two courses. One closed but is reopening.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 10:58:25 AM »
Huntingdon Valley CC in Philadelphia resurrected it's third "c" nine about 20 years ago. It had sat idol for multiple decades.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »
Scanning quickly thru logo balls and a course list I've kept, I'm guessing that I've played maybe a dozen or so courses that have later closed.  The only one that I can think of that has reopened is a Denis Griffiths design in Little River, SC north of Myrtle Beach.  It was called Eastport orginally, closed down for several years, then reopened as The Valley at Eastport.  I think the reopening was, at least in part, due to a successful lawsuit by the residents of the adjoining housing/condo development. 

There is another course on the northern end of the Myrtle Beach area that will be interesting in this regard IF it ever opens.  There were two courses at Angel's Trace in Sunset Beach that closed a number of years ago, but have been bought by Ocean Ridge Plantation.  The plan has been for Tim Cate to use the existing corridors of the 36 holes of Angel's Trace to build an 18 hole course to be the 5th course at Ocean Ridge.  Both of the Angel's Trace courses were pretty good Clyde Johnston designs, and Tim Cate does excellent work, so I'd be very hopeful about such a course.  But it's been stalled for at least 5 years now, and I wonder when/if it will ever actually happen.  Ocean Ridge still has a blurb on the website about it, but no updates or idea of when it might be completed.

I'd make a guess and say that if a course DOES close and doesn't reopen pretty quickly, it becomes less likely to EVER reopen, even if the land hasn't been used for something else.  The passage of time would seem to me to make it more likely with each passing month that buyers/backers would assume that the financials not only didn't work, but never will.  That's just a guess from a guy with no money...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »
Kalen this is good news.  I also live in SLC and think highly of Wingpointe.  Not the greatest, but certainly one of the most interesting layouts in the SLC area.  The SLC area just doesn't have great golf.  The sad thing was that the conditioning of the course in it's last year was the best I'd seen in 10 years.

If there is to be a reopening I think it would be very costly.  Without even touching the layout, which could use some new ideas, they will need to strip all fairways/tess, redo almost all bunkers at the lips and eroded and tunneled under causing some to collapse.

Any idea who may be the champion of this endeavor?  SLC?  Private partnership?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 03:14:27 PM »
Brett,

It'll be interesting to see how it evolves and comes back to life especially from an ownership perspective.  It was a mistake closing it in the first place given the other lack luster courses in the area.

While all the best courses in Northern Utah are privates, I do like the fact that public options are very affordable for what you get and not overly crowded/easy to get on.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 03:28:57 PM »
I believe the other course in Hutchinson, KS, Cottonwood Hills, has recently re-opened.

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 08:04:47 PM »
Adobe Creek in Petaluma, CA closed when the owner went bankrupt several years ago. It sat empty for a year or so and then opened under new ownership. Sadly the new owners could not make a go of it and decided to close the course again at the end of last year.   

Brad Tufts

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 09:36:12 PM »
I think 9 holes at Isle Dauphine on Dauphin Island, AL has reopened recently.  Randomly, it was on one of GD's early 100 toughest lists.

Hopefully, Riddell's Bay in BDA will re-open!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

MCirba

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »
Almost played Dauphine last week but weather was uncooperative.   It looks pretty rough but glad to see it on the comeback.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back