News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Lavallee

GCA Roll Call; how many have played Augusta National?
« on: January 08, 2017, 04:23:42 AM »
On the Top 100 most interested thread many have indicated little desire to play AN; I'm calling bullshit here! It is however one of the most difficult courses in the world to access, most people ticking off the Top 100 invariably have it as their last conquest. Just curious as to how many of our avid members have had the chance to play there. I'll start the count at 1 as we all know Pat Mucci has played there. :D  Feel free to IM me if you wish to remain anonymous. I'll start the over under at 10% or 150!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mike Sweeney

Re: GCA Roll Call; how many have played Augusta National?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 05:30:29 AM »
OLD POST:

I had a waiter one summer on Martha's Vineyard at the West Chop Club who worked at Augusta in the winter. He had retired from Augusta and told me some great stories and had a real love for the place. He was an older Black man and had nothing but good to say. That had to be a cool era...

NEW POST:

I still have not played Augusta National GC, and it was nice to see them give tribute to Lee Elder today. When I was a kid, I remember Lee Elder playing and honestly had no idea what he had to go through to get on that Augusta stage.

Our friends at National Links Trust are running a nice tribute to Lee Elder on Saturday:

Join NLT at Langston Golf Course on April 10th from 11am-2pm for a Masters themed event honoring Lee Elder. Mr. Elder managed Langston GC starting in 1978 and was the first Black professional golfer invited to the prestigious Masters tournament. Mr. Elder is now the honorary starter at the 2021 Masters tournament.

https://national-links-trust.myshopify.com/collections/langston-event-april-10th/products/langston-masters-event-honoring-lee-elder-ticket

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 08:39:46 PM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 07:21:54 AM »
If I had played ANGC, I would not reveal it, publicly and permanently, in order to not draw attention to the fact and my host/hostess.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

BHoover

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 08:16:13 AM »
In video game form, I have played ANGC many times.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 08:36:43 AM »

I have not,

I have walked it outside of the Masters week ... so for my personal architectural benefit ... I have at least for stood on all tees, walked the fairways and walked around the greens.

I hadn't participated in the that list. Seemed like too much work ...

I expect many don't put down a course they know they will never play to avoid personal disappointment. I was asked at a dinner - what's the one course if someone here could grant you the game - you would ask to play. The table was split with Augusta and Cypress and I said Myopia Hunt. I had to explain that I had not played Augusta, but I made peace with the idea that I will never playing there. Myopia was the last of the early American foundation courses that I had not seen and that mattered to me a great deal.

So I don't think it's games, just a dose of reality for many.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 08:43:44 AM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Jim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 08:47:24 AM »
On the Top 100 most interested thread many have indicated little desire to play AN; I'm calling bullshit here! It is however one of the most difficult courses in the world to access, most people ticking off the Top 100 invariably have it as their last conquest. Just curious as to how many of our avid members have had the chance to play there. I'll start the count at 1 as we all know Pat Mucci has played there. :D  Feel free to IM me if you wish to remain anonymous. I'll start the over under at 10% or 150!

I have not played either -- and bet the number of current GCAers who have is way less than 150. 

Gregg Evans

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 09:52:09 AM »
I can say I have without hesitation because I played it as a scoring volunteer in 1989. It is pretty fabulous. What I remember mostly is the hospitality extended by ANGC. Their oft- stated claim as to the value of the volunteers is more than supported by the consideration given on your day. Unlimited access to the Par 3 and practice facilities. Nice lunch served under the oak. The course itself was immaculate, with greens in the "practice round fast" range according to my caddie. Free to explore the grounds minus the cabins and the member dining room.
They used classic Sunday pin positions and member tees.
Figured I would get back one day but hasn't happened. Great memory.

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 09:56:52 AM »
I have played it a few times.  Not that I had any special contact but living in Ga one probably has better odds of getting the chance due to local members etc. The opportunity arises about once a year. Also back when I first got in the business I worked for a major supplier of their's and we would be invited to volunteer for the week.  We would rake bunkers and clip the edges with hand clippers etc.  All types had volunteered.  We had Bill Murray a couple of years and The Gatlin Brothers almost every year.  And they worked.  We would get a handful of tickets for sandwiches etc at lunch and we would do to work at 5:30 each morning and be finished around 9 or so.  THEN on the last week of May they would have vendor day and press day.  We would all get to play, eat bar-b-que and play the par three.  That was in the 80's...now I hear they have limited the playing and not all volunteers get to play.  During that time frame I also was calling on them in the Summers and got to watch a lot of the construction and alterations to greens etc when they were closed.  I would call on them every two weeks and it was interesting watching what they could do vs. the normal customer at that time.  It wasn't that they had super secret methods, they just had the ability and if they saw something they thought would work it was no problem having it demoed.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 10:10:11 AM »
In video game form, I have played ANGC many times.
Like many here if it was "restored" to that visible on the video history section....it would be #1 on my list

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 10:11:50 AM »
I have played it a few times.  Not that I had any special contact but living in Ga one probably has better odds of getting the chance due to local members etc. The opportunity arises about once a year. Also back when I first got in the business I worked for a major supplier of their's and we would be invited to volunteer for the week.  We would rake bunkers and clip the edges with hand clippers etc.  All types had volunteered.  We had Bill Murray a couple of years and The Gatlin Brothers almost every year.  And they worked.  We would get a handful of tickets for sandwiches etc at lunch and we would do to work at 5:30 each morning and be finished around 9 or so.  THEN on the last week of May they would have vendor day and press day.  We would all get to play, eat bar-b-que and play the par three.  That was in the 80's...now I hear they have limited the playing and not all volunteers get to play.  During that time frame I also was calling on them in the Summers and got to watch a lot of the construction and alterations to greens etc when they were closed.  I would call on them every two weeks and it was interesting watching what they could do vs. the normal customer at that time.  It wasn't that they had super secret methods, they just had the ability and if they saw something they thought would work it was no problem having it demoed.

I have no problems expressing my envy Mike :)

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 10:15:06 AM »
Played it in late October 1978-age 15-had to miss basketball practice which was a big deal back in the day.....My high school coach, who was black, was hedging but when he saw my mind was made up, he relented and said with a wry smile "well they finally let a black man play (Lee Elder 1975) so now I guess they'll let anybody play"
My father was invited by a gentlemen named George Sanken but since he was a very, very infrequent golfer he sent me.

We played the par 3 first but I don't remember much of that.
I still remember I was using a Toney Penna driver with a grip so worn from the previous owner that it had a dent where the left thumb went.
I remember playing the white tees because I was too nervous to ask to play the back tees(playing the back tees at ANGC for low handicappers was more common then as there wasn't such a massive difference between tees there is now -there remain ONLY two sets of tees-now miles apart). The greens were freshly overseeded with rye (back before they went to bent) and were very slow-as freshly germinated rye is very sticky-maybe a 5 or 6 but that time of year other places were as well until they started shaving them in November when they could get pretty darn fast, especially after a frost.
I was so nervous I was 5 over after 5, got it back to 4 over than missed a very short putt on 18(the original Ed Sneed) for 76 to end up with 77. I also remember that was my last round using a Spalding Cash-in putter.

I started playing golf in 1974 age 11, grew up over the fence at Augusta Cc and have been to every Masters since (1975-2016)
Went through the hole in the fence by 13 tee many summer afternoons as a teenager and played 13,14,11,12.
Once played the entire back nine except for putting on 18 and teeing off on 9.

Typing this makes me rethink I might be more interested in playing it than my original selection Sand Hills(which I've not played).
I always thought I would return to ANGC and get the chance to play the back tees, but that would be quite a chore for me now-unless it was warm/hot late spring day past the cool/cold dampness of winter there.

I certainly know if given the choice I would pick ANGC over Sand Hills because as I've learned, such invites are few and far between-and it's been a big part of my life.
Sand Hills, while remote ,has a very generous one time nonaccompanied access policy.
That doesn't make Sand Hills less interesting to me though as a golf course.

I'm not really a big name or Top 100 access seeker as I get much more of a thrill out of discovering and enjoying a hidden gem and the humble/real attitudes and spirits that tend to go with that......but I would make an exception to return to ANGC. ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:38:30 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Scott McWethy

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 10:30:40 AM »
If I had played ANGC, I would not reveal it, publicly and permanently, in order to not draw attention to the fact and my host/hostess.

I don't understand this at all.  Why would you not mention the fact that you've played ANGC if you had.  Do members ask that guests not tell anyone that they've played at their club.  On this site many people tell about their experiences playing Pine Valley, Shinnecock, Seminole, etc.  I'm happy for those people and love to hear the stories they tell about their experiences.  Don't know why Augusta would be any different.   
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:56:38 AM by Scott McWethy »

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 10:49:39 AM »

I have no problems expressing my envy Mike :)
  :) :)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 10:53:36 AM »
I've played it three times:  the first time the day after The Masters in 1983, when I worked as a photographer for their Yearbook, and the other two times with members.  I've only done the full experience -- staying on site and playing the par-3 course once, the most recent visit.  On that trip I was more amazed by the service than the golf course itself.

Mike_Young

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 10:57:12 AM »
I've played it three times:  the first time the day after The Masters in 1983, when I worked as a photographer for their Yearbook, and the other two times with members.  I've only done the full experience -- staying on site and playing the par-3 course once, the most recent visit.  On that trip I was more amazed by the service than the golf course itself.

And it seems the wine cellar is never mentioned much but is one of the best in the country...

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 11:09:34 AM »
I have never played it.  I am from Augusta and know 7 members on a first-named basis.  However, the unwritten rule is that you do not ask to play or discuss the club in any way.  While I would LOVE to play the course, I can only imagine the amount of times those guys get hounded to play.  I would never want to put a member in that position by asking to play.  If it happens one day, great!!  If not, oh well.  I have had some fantastic rounds at some of the world's best courses with great friends.  I think I will be ok.

My "bucket list" is short, but is has gotten longer since being on this site. :-)
Shinnecock
National Golf
Sand Hills
Oakmont

Anything outside of that is just gravy!!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 12:03:56 PM »
I'm sort of like Ian in the respect that the fantasy of ever playing it is long gone.

I do though, have a bucket list item to come out to see it during a practice round someday..

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 12:24:15 PM »
However, the unwritten rule is that you do not ask to play or discuss the club in any way.  While I would LOVE to play the course,

Sounds like you are screwed then!

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 12:26:48 PM »
I have not played it, but I have driven around the course in a golf cart and been all over the grounds in the middle of the night the week before and during the Masters. 

Bill Raffo

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 12:42:12 PM »
Played it in 1998. Birdied 11, parred 12 and then hooked it our of bounds on 13 to ruin my chance to play Amen Corner under par (Of course that's the first thing that comes to mind)!   

Back then, with no rough, it was a real fun place to play, until you got to the greens.  I remember tapping a putt from the top tier on nine and ending up with a 70 yard wedge coming back.  The 13th green, with a back right pin was impossible to two putt from anywhere on the left side, as I recall.

My interaction with the club as a media member in the 1990's was exceptional. On a Doak Scale, it would be the only ten of all the events I covered across many major sports. Just a wonderful mix of professionalism and personal attention, whether you were the camera guy or a nationally acclaimed columnist. I remember finding my cameraman in the clubhouse, seated at a table, watching the tournament on TV with members and thinking, "Where else could this possibly happen?"

It seems they do everything right down there, with the exception of the blacking out the TV coverage on Thursday and Friday mornings.  I'd like to see that change. 

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:54:35 PM by Bill Raffo »

Carl Johnson

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 04:57:35 PM »
I have not, but late last year (2016) one of my friends was invited to play as a guest -- two rounds + par 3 + stay in Eisenhower cabin + eat in DR.  He really enjoyed the experience, at least as much for the idiosyncrasies of the "club" as for the golf.  One thing he learned is that the course isn't rated and sloped -- what he was told, in any case -- so he could not post his scores.  I did not know that (assuming it is true).

Steve Lang

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 06:04:07 PM »
 8)  Never for real, had opportunity to see practice round one year. But I did go one under around Amen Corner at Tour 18 in Humble... ;D
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 06:30:53 PM »
Many, many friends have played it, one 96 rounds. Chatting to a B&B guest once about the amateur championship at Deal, he said "I won it a few years back". He talked about his first visit to Augusta in the autumn, playing a practise round with Palmer and in the first round with Floyd. Pretty cool.
Cave Nil Vino

MClutterbuck

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 08:33:59 PM »

I don't undertsand why you would not reveal it on a forum like this when asked and I am certain hosts don't mind. Members take guests to the pro shop and encourage you to get quite a few logoed items that can't be purchased Masters week. If they did not want people knowing you had played, that would not happen.

It is the greatest golf experience ever, on and off the course, and members could not be more gracious and proud of their club.

Jim Tang

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 09:09:28 PM »
I selected Cypress Point as the course I'm most interested in playing in Golf Digest's Top 10.  I've never played ANGC but certainly would love to.

I do know a guy who has stayed and played at Augusta.  He told me he's played courses that are better than Augusta, such as Cypress Point, Pine Valley, Oakmont, Shinnecock.  He has multiple rounds on all of those courses, including two different visits to ANGC.

However, he also said the entire experience at ANGC, from the drive down Magnolia Lane to the cabins to dinner to the par 3 and practice areas and, of course, the golf, is the greatest experience he's ever had in golf, hands down.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back