News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Dawson

Re: Buda Cup - 2017 - Pre and Post Golf
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 10:04:40 AM »
Re the other courses mentioned, Pulborough is definitely the pick of the bunch for me, it’s exquisite heathland. I would grade them in the following order:

Pulborough
Tandridge
Royal Ashdown Forest
Crowborough Beacon/Knole Park (not played but walk it frequently)
Princes
Cooden Beach
Chart Hills

I am sadly unacquainted with Beaufort Park in Hastings. Sandwich & Deal are well known to most people on here

Re before & after golf, I work Mon-Fri so weekday golf (and BUDA itself!) is unfortunately not possible for me, but if anybody is looking for a weekend game in the South East either before or after the main event, then drop me a PM and I’ll see if I can help you out

James Boon – you asked on the other thread about accommodation or renting a house. There is plenty of accommodation in Rye as it’s a fairly well-established tourist destination, but I doubt you’ll find many large houses to rent as a group. Most places are pretty small 2 bed cottages in the town itself. There’s a small choice of hotels to suit all pockets, and quite a few B&B’s. I would get booking soon as Rye is popular and can fill up quickly in peak season

General notes on Rye for visitors. The (very quaint) compact smugglers town is arranged on a hill with the quietest lodgings and best views up at the top near the church, in an area known as the Citadel. Some of the B&B’s can get quite noisy as you move down the hill, especially as you are visiting in the height of summer, so choose carefully. If possible I would avoid anything right on the A259 ring road as it is heavily used by lorries especially in early morning. Parking is notoriously difficult in Rye, and very few hotels have it. The Old Cattle Market car park in the town centre by the station is only £1.50 for 24 hours, and is by far your best bet.

Any other questions, please ask. I spend a lot of time in Rye so know it pretty well.

Craig Disher

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2017, 12:17:18 AM »
The accommodations in Rye can be found on several websites. All the b&bs and inns in the town are fine as long as you're willing to accept the inconvenient parking arrangements. One b&b to avoid is the Aviemore Guest House. It is noisy and exiting the front door can be dangerous.

If anyone is interested in booking a house, I'd suggest a recently developed area in Camber. The houses are within walking distance of the Rye GC and parking would not be an issue. The houses are extremely popular due to the nearby Camber Sands beach so do book early. A sampling can be found here

https://www.bramleyandteal.co.uk/cottages?getSearch=true&Duration=3&Town=Camber&daysf=4&Profile=0&SortBy=PartySize&SearchType=Custom&rpp=12&isShortBreak=True&PropertyFacilities=bramleyandteal;1594;6|&viewmap=false

Sam Krume

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »
if any one is looking for a house for rent, have a look on Airbnb. Definitely worth a look..
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/4623691?checkin=11-08-2017&checkout=15-08-2017&guests=7&adults=7&children=0&infants=0&s=Ct1lXK3p

Niall C

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2017, 09:47:08 AM »
For those that are playing at BUDA and travelling down from Scotland, can you message me. It might be worthwhile seeing if there is scope to travel together and maybe get some golf in on the way down or the way back up.

Niall

mike_malone

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2017, 10:25:00 PM »
Jack Weiner and I have a tee time at Swinley Forest for 8/9. I'm not sure if anyone can join us but I wanted to let you all know.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2017, 08:29:55 AM »
Can I get advice for getting on Sandwich either the day after Deal on Tuesday or the preceding Thursday ?
AKA Mayday

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2017, 12:44:57 PM »
RSG doesn't really take visitors during August, I'd suggest emailing the secretary explaining it's a once in a lifetime trip and seeing if they will let you on.
Cave Nil Vino

David McIntosh

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2017, 05:00:21 AM »
Mark,

I noticed the RSG website states it doesn't accept three or four ball play in August although it doesn't specifically mention there being no visitor play during the month. Do you know the reason for this policy (i.e. why is August different from the rest of the year)?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:03:22 AM by David McIntosh »

James Boon

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2017, 12:30:40 PM »
Mike,

You are right we need to get this sorted. Afraid I'm not the one to sort a spreadsheet though!

The idea of joining you across the channel in France is very tempting but I think I'm going to struggle...

I'm sure everyone has their own ideas and I suspect many will want to head to Sandwich and Deal, but I'm still tempted to try a few of those I mentioned originally. I may be tempted by others and nothing is set yet but I'm thinking of [size=78%]driving down Thursday night, [/size][/size][size=78%]then play Royal Ashdown Forest and Crowborough Beacon Friday before heading to Rye. [/size][/size][size=78%]Sat to Monday lunchtime is the main event. [/size][/size][size=78%]Then on Monday afternoon head to south London to play Reigate, stop over somewhere then play Tandridge on Tuesday before driving home?[/size]

Does that marry up with anyone else ideas or does anyone else want to show their hand and tempt me to join them?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2017, 11:25:27 PM »
David several of the old money seaside clubs are busy with members in August as they either have seaside weekenders or rent houses for the month. Brancaster has a blanket ban on unaccompanied visitors in August, RSG maybe forthcoming with a polite request and a little flexibility on days.

I've had limited success getting B&B guests on in August but like an equity fund previous performance is no guarantee for the future.
Cave Nil Vino

David McIntosh

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2017, 03:55:03 AM »
Thanks Mark - understood.

Buda would be my first time in the area so I'm keen to play at a few places in Kent if possible although I'm sure I could always come up with an excuse for another visit at some point outwith August if unsuccessful this time!

mike_malone

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2017, 08:53:10 AM »
Jack Weiner and I are playing Sandwich 8/16.

We want to join the group on Friday at Tandrige or whererver.

We want to join at Deal as well.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:40:39 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Mark Pearce

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2017, 01:53:12 PM »
Tandridge can't take us on the Friday.  We can play there on the Wednesday, for those interested.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

mike_malone

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2017, 05:52:44 PM »
Mark,
That knocks us out of Tandridge.

Friday is a day we are available to play with others. If something happens we will be in.
If I don't here anything in the next few weeks we likely will try Pulborough.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2017, 10:27:12 AM »
We need help with Thursday. Since we play Swinley Forest on the day of arrival ( Wed) it makes sense to play again nearby then head toward Rye.
Sunningdale and Walton Heath appear to top the list but I am open to quirk.

We also would like to stay in a town with some walkable quintessential English style.

Alternatively, we can work our way toward Rye and even consider an extra round there Thursday.

I even wonder if Brighton and Hove Albion has a game yet.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:16:42 AM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2017, 01:47:39 AM »
If Tandridge is out, what alternatives are there for the Friday?

My personal choice would be The Addington, a course that has long fascinated me and I am itching to play.

Alternatively, RAF and/or Crowborough Beacon?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 02:39:22 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Sean_A

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2017, 03:52:36 AM »
We need help with Thursday. Since we play Swinley Forest on the day of arrival ( Wed) it makes sense to play again nearby then head toward Rye.
Sunningdale and Walton Heath appear to top the list but I am open to quirk.

We also would like to stay in a town with some walkable quintessential English style.

Alternatively, we can work our way toward Rye and even consider an extra round there Thursday.

I even wonder if Brighton and Hove Albion has a game yet.

I too am looking for a Friday game.  I would like to play Pulborough, but they are traditionally closed to visitors on Fridays...I think Pearce is also looking at Pulborough.  Failing that, I would like to see Woking with its new greens. If that can't work out, another look at Knole Park is high on my list...very intriguing course.  I am not so keen on Addy, fighting to get in and especially out of Croydon during Friday PM traffic is a drag. For Pulborough and Knole Park one is already past the worst of it for Friday traffic.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 03:55:12 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2017, 04:09:47 AM »
  I am not so keen on Addy, fighting to get in and especially out of Croydon during Friday PM traffic is a drag. For Pulborough and Knole Park one is already past the worst of it for Friday traffic.

Which is why I've decided to let the train take the strain.

I get into Euston at 8am Friday, so can be at any of the courses mentioned so far by 10.30 latest.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 04:18:12 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

mike_malone

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2017, 03:28:07 PM »
Based on this we will try around London for Thursday in case Friday ends up in that area as well. I will hold off doing anything about Friday for awhile.
AKA Mayday

James Boon

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2017, 02:27:07 PM »
Evening all,

I've booked a time for me and Robin at Crowborough Beacon at 1.30 on the Friday 11 August. Its about an hours drive from there to Rye where we are staying so this seemed an ideal place to meet. They have other tee times available after this if anyone else wants to join us. They have warned me that they are having maintenance week, the week before, and if there are still signs of this they will drop the green fee to £20, but it already looks a bargain at £35!

I've also made enquiries for Reigate Heath for earlier that Friday (if I drive down the Tghursday night?) but havent had a response yet. I'm also waiting to hear back from Royal Ashdown Forest about a game on the Tuesday. In all these cases I've made it known that my enquiry may develop into a larger group depending upon interest...

Let me know if you are interested!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ben Stephens

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2017, 02:49:26 PM »
I am in hey am I your travelling companion??!!  ;D

Evening all,

I've booked a time for me and Robin at Crowborough Beacon at 1.30 on the Friday 11 August. Its about an hours drive from there to Rye where we are staying so this seemed an ideal place to meet. They have other tee times available after this if anyone else wants to join us. They have warned me that they are having maintenance week, the week before, and if there are still signs of this they will drop the green fee to £20, but it already looks a bargain at £35!

I've also made enquiries for Reigate Heath for earlier that Friday (if I drive down the Tghursday night?) but havent had a response yet. I'm also waiting to hear back from Royal Ashdown Forest about a game on the Tuesday. In all these cases I've made it known that my enquiry may develop into a larger group depending upon interest...

Let me know if you are interested!

Cheers,

James

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:34:28 PM by Ben Stephens »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2017, 02:58:59 PM »
James,

I'd be keen to play Crowborough on the Friday afternoon. Also 9 holes at Reigate in the morning sounds good.

I'll be in the market for a lift to Rye afterwards if anyone can oblige!

:)

Sam Krume

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2017, 03:14:44 PM »
The Knole is also definitely worth a look. Lovely course

mike_malone

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2017, 10:39:34 PM »
My buddy Jack and I would love to tag along at Reigate/Crowborough Friday.

Should we make the times ourselves?
AKA Mayday

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2017, 11:12:47 PM »
Who wants to visit Deal before or after the Buda?

What dates?

I will gladly host up to three... and, we can look into renting a flat or booking the dormy.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back