News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Conveyance Systems
« on: December 06, 2016, 07:11:58 AM »
What are some of the most effective conveyance systems the folks here have seen to assist golfers in getting across particularly difficult stretches of terrain or walking or up or down steep changes in elevation. I'm thinking things like the long bridge on the 14th at Rolling Green in Pennsylvania but I'd like to hear everyone's ideas of what they've seen and what works best. These can include Mechanical Devices like elevators or ski lifts. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:18:09 AM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jason Topp

Re: Conveyance Systems
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 10:49:51 AM »
I have played a couple courses with angled elevators.  In both cases they seemed a bit rickety so I am not sure they provided the best option.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 11:03:47 AM »
Escalators between greens and next-tees in Japan.
Atb

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 11:31:46 AM »
Jeez Cirba,

#14 at Rolling Green isn't even the best in the Philadelphia area.

The funicular tram at Manufacturers' has to take the cake. We, very briefly, discussed using one for Blue #1 at Streamsong.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

BCowan

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 11:39:10 AM »
The 17th at Kirtland to the 18th tee (Cleveland area).  Has a conveyor system up a hill. 

Joe Zucker

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 11:45:49 AM »
The 17th at Kirtland to the 18th tee (Cleveland area).  Has a conveyor system up a hill.

Ben, do you know if that still works?  I played there about once a year from 2006-2011 and it was not working in any of those rounds.  It looked pretty rickety as I walked past...

BHoover

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 11:48:58 AM »

Ben, do you know if that still works?  I played there about once a year from 2006-2011 and it was not working in any of those rounds.  It looked pretty rickety as I walked past...

When I played Kirtland two years ago, it looked like the club had installed a new rail car. It most definitely works.

In high school, we played matches at a course in New Philadelphia, Ohio called Green Valley. The walk from the 1st green to the 2nd tee was aided by an old mine car that ran up the side of an extremely steep hill. It was old, rickety, and probably not too safe, but it was the only highlight of playing that course.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:51:27 AM by Brian Hoover »

Greg Gilson

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 11:50:19 AM »

Elanora in Sydney used to have a funicular type contraption from the golf shop to old #1 tee. They closed it after some kids went joy riding 1 night (or was it Xmas Day) some years ago. Either the kids did something (really) wrong or it malfunctioned & 1 kid got trapped underneath & killed. Sorry if I screwed up some of the details as i'm going from memory.

Needless to say, I guess this does not actually meet Mike's original brief of identifying " the most effective conveyance systems "?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 11:57:15 AM »
One of the Alpine courses in Switzerland (name escapes me at the moment) you take the cable car up to the first tee and then zigzag your way back down to the clubhouse.

Jon

Joe Zucker

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 12:22:16 PM »

When I played Kirtland two years ago, it looked like the club had installed a new rail car. It most definitely works.

That's good to hear! It can be a tiring walk, only to play an uphill 18th.

MCirba

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »
Jeez Cirba,

#14 at Rolling Green isn't even the best in the Philadelphia area.

The funicular tram at Manufacturers' has to take the cake. We, very briefly, discussed using one for Blue #1 at Streamsong.

Fair point, Kyle.   

I guess in my mind's eye I was envisioning traversing a ravine from high point to higher point, but love all the ideas from everyone to date.

Thanks, all.   Keep 'em coming.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 01:03:02 PM »
Indian Valley in Marin County, CA has (or had) an elevator moving golfers up a steep hill to a tee box on the back-9.

Pauma Valley in San Diego County, CA has several bridges that cross over the large/deep swale that runs thru much of the front-9. 

John Sabino

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 01:23:29 PM »
Mike - picture of outdoor escalator at Kawana in Japan. If I'm not mistaken they has similar systems at Naruo and Hirono in Japan as well:

http://top100golf.blogspot.com/2006/10/kawana-fuji-course.html

John
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 01:29:57 PM »
River Oaks golf course in Calif had some type of belt/rope system that you would hold on to and take you to the top of the hill after the round.  Not sure if it still exists or not...

Brad Tufts

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 01:50:54 PM »
Elevator from 17 green to 18 tee at Pittsburgh Field Club....a bit odd because from afar it looks like a 40-foot tall green-painted right angle sitting on top of a slope.

Angled funicular behind the 18th green at Lookout Point in Ontario...

Then lots of northeast courses have neat bridges like Winchester, Sleepy Hollow, Charles River, etc.  We used to have a great one at Tedesco, but those holes went out of play in the mid-30s, and the huge bridge was taken down.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

mike_malone

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 03:34:34 PM »
I'm installing one of those automatic walkways you see at airports right down the middle of the 9th fairway of Rolling Green.
AKA Mayday

Pat Burke

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 04:19:33 PM »

The bridges. Rancho Santa Fe. Image was copyrighted. Sorry. Deleted

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:22:04 PM by Pat Burke »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 04:43:47 PM »
I'm installing one of those automatic walkways you see at airports right down the middle of the 9th fairway of Rolling Green.

Nice.  But you'll always be standing in the wrong lane, no?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

PThomas

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 05:58:30 PM »
be a trend setter Mike:  zip lining!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 06:10:59 PM »
Why not just hire a kid to run a golf cart shuttle up and back.....way cheaper to implement in the short term  ;D

JJShanley

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 06:32:20 PM »
Why not just hire a kid to run a golf cart shuttle up and back.....way cheaper to implement in the short term  ;D

You'd need a big cart or multiple carts.  Even more if a club with caddies.

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 06:56:35 PM »
I recall that Mayacama (CA) uses an oversize cart to transport golfers & caddies from a green (#12?) up a steep hill to the next tee. 

Matthew Rose

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 07:03:39 PM »
Blackhawk CC in Madison, WI had a elevator/shuttle thingy to get you from #9 green back to the clubhouse, which sat way above the golf course. Tee shots on #1 and #10 were like hitting off the roof of a three-story building.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 07:44:06 PM »
My fave is the walk through a path in the gorse from the 16th green to the Clbuhouse Bar ar Dornoch.  I would guess that ~50% of the rounds I play there eschew the walk down to the 17th and then back up to the 18th tee, particularly when the match has already been decided and the properly warmed beer is waiting for you....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jon McSweeny

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 08:12:40 PM »
Industry Hills (just outside of Los Angeles) had a functioning funicular serving both courses (from 9 to 10 on the Ike and 18 to the house on the Babe.)

However, that unit hasn't worked in at least ten years and I do not believe there are any plans to make it work again. An added cart path- coupled with the fact that very few golfers walk the courses- have made it unnecessary.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back