News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: 2017 DIXIE CUP SIGN UP • Streamsong • Sept 28-Oct 1
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2017, 02:50:49 PM »
We now have 21 players... which is fine... but, it's an odd number for scheduling golf matches.

I just talked with Streamsong and they have given me a short window to add additional players if anyone is interested in jumping in at the last minute. They are holding our group package price open for booking through Monday, the 11th.

If you think you might be interested see the opening post for complete details.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2017, 06:40:22 PM »

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Cowden

« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2017, 09:56:56 PM »
'Tis a beauty, Michael.  Going North next month, is it? 

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2017, 07:39:48 PM »

From Streamsong's Facebook page:

John Cowden

« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2017, 10:03:58 PM »
Excellent news, Michael.  Thank you for sharing. 

Michael Whitaker

Re: 2017 DIXIE CUP • Streamsong • Teams & Pairings Now Set!!!
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2017, 03:22:12 PM »
Following are the teams, pairings and format for the 2017 Dixie Cup:

SOUTH
Michael Whitaker
Lynn Young
Terry Peters
David Wilcox
Shelia Lang
Steve Lang
Lou Duran
Ryan Carey
Greg Lieb
Matt Pope
Todd Schuster

NORTH
Craig Disher
John Cowden
Brian Finn
Mike Trenham
Michael Christensen
David Royer
David Rossette
Rob Kiesler
Frank Sekulic
Carl Rogers

TEE TIMES for Friday, September 29 - Streamsong BLUE
8:35 Lynn Young, David Royer, David Rossette
8:45 Terry Peters, David Wilcox, Michael Christensen
9:05 Lou Duran, Brian Finn, John Cowden
9:15 Ryan Carey, Greg Lieb, Matt Pope, Todd Schuster
9:25 Carl Rogers, Rob Kiesler, Frank Sekulic, Mike Trenham
9:35 Michael Whitaker, Craig Disher, Steve Lang, Sheila Lang

Tee times & pairings for Saturday will be announced Friday evening. Saturday's round will be played on Streamsong RED beginning at 8:20.

Tee times and pairings for Sunday's round will be announced on Saturday evening. Sunday's round will be played on Streamsong BLACK beginning at 8:03.

FORMAT
Net Stableford Scoring - Top 8 scores from each team will count toward total score.
Double Bogie = 0
Bogie = 1
Par = 2
Birdie = 3
Eagle = 4

OPTIONAL: THURSDAY, September 28 - Six Hole Shootout
We will organize a six-hole Fourball Shootout on Thursday afternoon for anyone who would like to play. Two-person teams, one best-ball net per hole. Teams will be created by a random draw. $5 per person entry fee. 60% to 1st, 40% to 2nd.

OPTIONAL: FRIDAY, September 29 - Six Hole "Shamble"
We will organize a six-hole "Shamble" on Friday afternoon for anyone who would like to play. Four-person teams. Everyone plays their own ball out from the location of the team's best drive. 50% of handicap. All four scores count (Net). Teams will be created by a random draw. $5 per person entry fee. 60% to 1st, 40% to 2nd.

See you all soon! Travel safe!!!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 03:29:33 PM by Michael Whitaker »

Carl Rogers

« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2017, 07:26:42 AM »
If anyone from the North is driving down I-95, we might discuss a ride share.  I live in Tidewater VA.  I have thought about a round somewhere on the way to Streamsong and a round on the way back north.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:11:19 AM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2017, 09:06:21 AM »
You gentlemen should be in good shape in a couple of weeks.  I played the Blue on Saturday and the Red two weeks ago.  It appeared that the hurricane damage was minimal to the courses and things were in great shape.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2017, 12:30:24 PM »
If anyone from the North is driving down I-95, we might discuss a ride share.  I live in Tidewater VA.  I have thought about a round somewhere on the way to Streamsong and a round on the way back north.

Brunswick CC is a great option not too far off 75.   

Carl Rogers

« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2017, 07:40:04 PM »
Shamble & Shootout Suggestion:
Players shall use no more than 6 clubs.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2017, 11:01:43 PM »

WALKING vs RIDING
The only rounds that have mandatory walking are our round(s) on Streamsong Black on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.  Friday and Saturday morning you can ride on Streamsong Blue and Red.  If you ride a forecaddie is required and will be assigned.  When you walk a forecaddie is suggested but optional.  Pull/push carts are available for rent, $15/day.

If you want a walking caddy for any round please call the pro shop and let them know. The sooner, the better.

SIX HOLE LOOP
We can start the 6-hole loop on Thursday afternoon anytime after 3 pm.  Just come to the pro shop when you arrive and we will get you into a group. Definitely need to get out before 6pm if you want to finish.

Jason Topp

« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »

WALKING vs RIDING
The only rounds that have mandatory walking are our round(s) on Streamsong Black on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.  Friday and Saturday morning you can ride on Streamsong Blue and Red.  If you ride a forecaddie is required and will be assigned.  When you walk a forecaddie is suggested but optional.  Pull/push carts are available for rent, $15/day.

If you are on the fence, I suggest walking unless they have changed their cart policies.  The one time I took a cart I believe I walked farther than when I walked.  You also are so far off to the side of the holes that it is much more difficult to appreciate them.

Have a great time everyone!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2017, 07:50:17 PM »
and?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2017, 03:19:21 PM »
The 2017 Dixie Cup was a great success! The new Black Course at Streamsong was magnificent and is a fabulous addition to the Streamsong Resort. I'm sure the "Cuppers" will post their comments and photos on the course soon.

As for the competition... the South Team (lead by Ms. Sheila Lang) was victorious over the North!!! We don't know the exact score because, like the Presidents Cup competition, the South was so far out in front after Saturday's round that some of our competitors decided not to keep their score on Sunday!  ;D ;D ;D   No worries as the Dixie Cup is all about fellowship and visiting wonderful golf courses. And, we truly enjoyed our time together and played three marvelous courses!

Going forward look for more comments and photos in this space. I especially hope we can get some photos of the Black Course posted and have a good discussion of the design.

Back Row:  Steve Lang, Rob Keisler, John Cowden, Carl Rogers, Matt Pope, Sean Nalls, Mike Trenham, Michael Christensen
Front Row:  Lou Duran, Brian Finn, Craig Disher, Ryan Carey, Michael Whitaker, Lyn Young, Jace Crooke
Missing: Dave Royer, David Rossette, Terry Peters, David Wilcox, Sheila Lang

Streamsong Black #5 - Par 3

Terry Peters, Michael Whitaker, Lyn Young, David Wilcox
Streamsong Red #16 on the left - Streamsong Blue #7 on the right
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 02:48:44 PM by Michael Whitaker »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2017, 07:04:16 PM »
Okay, Mr Whit did the nice post. :)

Now let's have some fun!

10 rounds - How do you split your trip between Doak (Blue), C&C (Red), and Hanse (Black), and why?
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Carl Rogers

« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2017, 07:12:31 PM »
The heat problem was a real issue for me.  It was hard to observe, play, hydrate & think at the same time.
3 rounds of each and a 1 six hole loop of each ........... split down the middle.

Steve Lang

« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2017, 09:09:32 PM »
Okay, Mr Whit did the nice post. :)

Now let's have some fun!

10 rounds - How do you split your trip between Doak (Blue), C&C (Red), and Hanse (Black), and why?

Depends what you want to do...

if you want to exercise your golf shots and expose those perhaps not yet in the bag, then 4 Red, 3 Blue, 3 Black... Red had a more pure golf challenge feel and better synoptics to my eye than the others.. and I liked the pulled pork bbq better at the Red, than the taco stand fare at Blue..

if you want to study green complexes and best approaches to get ball in hole, then 5 Black, 3 Blue, 2 Red...  Black has largest single greens I've ever seen and they're probably larger than any double greens I've ever seen, including TOC..

if you want to explore the old and new worlds, fearlessly hit it, find it, hit it again with great opportunities and diversions presented to your psyche, then go 4 Blue, 3 Black, 2 Red and flip a coin for the 10th play..

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mike Sweeney

Re: 2017 DIXIE CUP • Streamsong • Sept 28-Oct 1
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2017, 06:41:50 AM »
Steve,

Fabulous response, thanks for that. I would love to hear other opinions. These three architects dominate many discussions here and it is interesting to see these three on one location.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Carl Rogers

« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2017, 07:48:11 AM »
Streamsong Black is the most "controversial" course of the three.  The 4th Hole is an extraordinarily severe par 5 and I am completely baffled by the 9th hole with its blind "360 degree crater lake" green.  Black has too many holes with cross bunkers that penalize the shorter hitter.  Is the Black intended to hold big events such as Amateur or Open Qualifiers... good venue if it is true?
Any thoughts on the double alternate green on the 13th.  I am scratching my head as to why?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:56:15 AM by Carl Rogers »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2017, 09:22:15 AM »
I haven't played the Black yet, but it sounds intriguing.

Here's a question for the potential SS marketeers...

Would it be better to have three courses in the nation's top 50 public (which I assume all three will be eventually, two already are) with perhaps similar ranking numbers....or would it be advantageous to have one near the top with two very solid sisters 20-30 spots behind?

For me, I consider the Red and Blue very similar in awesomeness (both awesome), with the Blue a tick ahead.

It will be fun to see if/when this all leads to Course #4 (Lido?)!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Craig Disher

« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2017, 10:11:10 AM »
When I saw the Black my first thoughts were Lido and Timber Point. Recreating the Lido at SS would be overkill; the Black serves as a very suitable stand-in. When I saw the 5th - shown in Mike's photo above - I remembered an old photo of Timber Point's 11th. Look at the similarities in atmosphere --

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 05:18:59 PM by Craig Disher »

Brian Finn

« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2017, 01:08:12 PM »
First off, huge thanks to Michael Whitaker for all of the hard work he put into having a terrific event.  Even for pros like him, this is a big undertaking, especially taking into account the size of the group and the nature of the operation at SS (3 bases of operations, separate management of golf ops and resort ops, etc). 

I had been to Streamsong previously, playing both the Blue and Red only once each.  Based on that early visit, I really liked both courses, with the Blue edging out the Red as my favorite.  Getting to play each of these courses twice more mostly reinforced my preference of the Blue, but also increased my appreciation of the Red.

The golf highlight for me was definitely the two rounds on the Black course.  I love playing new and different courses, and the Black course is certainly both.  Immense, wild, and undulating greens (note:  while all 11 acres of mini-verde is cut to green height, not all is officially considered the green...there are small green dots outlining the portion technically deemed putting green, plus there are sprinkler heads within the green-cut space) plus a terrific variety of risk-reward holes made it an outstanding experience.  The scale of the course is unlike many other courses I have visited.  Massive sandy waste areas, generous landing areas, and the aforementioned gigantic greens made for a truly great time.  The punchbowl 9th green was my favorite spot on the course.  Like many classic courses, it provides an aiming point (the windmill behind the green) in addition to providing the quadrant and position of the flag on a plaque by the tee. 

In a similar way to Tobacco Road, Streamsong Black is visually very intimidating (and there is plenty of trouble to be found) but it ultimately is not a difficult course.  Playing to a par of 73, the course and slope rating from the 6,240 yard silver tees is 69.5 / 125 (and 6,759 / 72.0 / 130 from one set further back) indicating both scratch and higher handicap players should be able to navigate the course.  I found the toughest aspect of the course was making the correct course management decisions (not my strong suit) due to the very tempting nature of so many approach shots.  None of the par fives are overly difficult if you play them with three relatively conservative shots, but you could find a lot of trouble if you get aggressive and don't execute well.  The par 4s had tremendous variety and the par 3s were extremely strong. 

I look forward to hearing more from other Dixie Cup participants as well as those lucky enough to visit the Black course in the future. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Kyle Harris

« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2017, 02:05:37 PM »
The Par 3 on Black pictured is #5, not #7.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2017, 02:50:18 PM »
The Par 3 on Black pictured is #5, not #7.
Thanks, Kyle! I fixed it.

Sorry we didn't get to visit with you.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2017, 04:33:49 PM »
DRONE ALERT for JAKA

Well that is very cool - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cumqnSdDloM

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back