News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Seitz

I've added 2 more courses in California.

The Ranch in San Jose and Sierra La Verne CC in Southern California.

Any other updates please leave a comment.

Not that it's particularly important, but you have Sierra La Verne listed in San Diego.  Probably belongs in regular old Southern California.

Scott Weersing

Re: An unofficial list of California courses that are closed (8th update)
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2019, 02:47:14 PM »
One more to add to the list:

Van Buskirk Golf Course, Stockton, CA

https://www.recordnet.com/news/20190831/end-of-era-for-van-buskirk-as-course-closes-after-nearly-60-years-in-south-stockton

Did you have Mountain View GC, Santa Paula on the list?

https://www.vcstar.com/story/news/local/2019/01/02/mountain-view-golf-course-closed-after-50-years/2463541002/

And closing in six months, "Santa Clara Golf and Tennis Club opened back in 1987. It's across the street from Levi's Stadium and near California's Great America Theme Park."
[/size]
[/size]https://abc7news.com/business/popular-santa-clara-golf-and-tennis-club-to-close--/5291584/

Kalen Braley

« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2019, 02:51:09 PM »
Bummed to hear about Santa Clara, its a fun and affordable course in a great location, but probably a bit too good.  That land has got to be worth a fortune...

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2019, 03:07:44 PM »
Here's a recent photo of the first hole at The Ranch:

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2019, 06:57:14 PM »
Here's a recent photo of the first hole at The Ranch:

That course should have never been built. Looks like the homeowners got lucky and a vineyard developer bought the land and plans to plant grapes. Much better that a real estate developer who would force the city and homeowners to allow real estate development.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/04/parts-of-san-jose-hills-golf-club-bought-by-fremont-investor/

Tim Leahy

« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2019, 07:16:52 PM »
Bummed to hear about Santa Clara, its a fun and affordable course in a great location, but probably a bit too good.  That land has got to be worth a fortune...
Wasn't former frequent poster Tom Huckaby a member there?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

astavrides

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2019, 08:21:23 AM »

No.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 03:09:00 PM by astavrides »

Scott Weersing

Another one to add to the list, Elkins Ranch in Fillmore, CA

https://www.vcstar.com/story/sports/golf/2020/06/20/elkins-ranch-golf-course-fillmore-close-september/3229913001/

It was a little bit of drive out to Fillmore when I lived in Ventura, but the course was always in good shape and away from the June gloom. It got some play from Santa Clarita also. Not surprised to go with $2 avocadoes. I liked the back nine with all of the hills. There is still enough capacity with Rustic Canyon and Tierra Rejeda golf courses.

JohnVDB

No, he went to the University of Santa Clara and plays at Santa Teresa in San Jose.

Brock Lynch

https://www.vcstar.com/story/sports/golf/2020/06/20/elkins-ranch-golf-course-fillmore-close-september/3229913001/

It was a little bit of drive out to Fillmore when I lived in Ventura, but the course was always in good shape and away from the June gloom. It got some play from Santa Clarita also. Not surprised to go with $2 avocadoes. I liked the back nine with all of the hills. There is still enough capacity with Rustic Canyon and Tierra Rejeda golf courses

Seems to be typical in California. Golf is just not that important there. They can make a few more bucks turning the land into more avocado groves. Used to live in the Valley and my friends and I played Elkins Ranch about 6 to 10 times a year back in the 80's. I played it in February for the first time in about 25 years and enjoyed the round very much. It has a good layout with a good set of par 3's, some elevation change and holes that require some thought of the tee. For a course that has been around for a while, it hadn't changed at all since we played it often back in the 80's. Sad to see it close.

Joel_Stewart

It was a little bit of drive out to Fillmore when I lived in Ventura, but the course was always in good shape and away from the June gloom. It got some play from Santa Clarita also. Not surprised to go with $2 avocadoes. I liked the back nine with all of the hills. There is still enough capacity with Rustic Canyon and Tierra Rejeda golf courses.

Added Skywest in San Lorenzo and Elkins Ranch.

Kalen Braley

Bummer to hear about Skywest, mostly because it was one of two courses where I spent my first few years playing.

Not much of a loss from an architectural perspective, but no doubt will put that more pressure on an area that is already grossly under supplied...

David Ober

Paradise Knolls in Riverside closed a while back, I believe.

Brent Carlson

Sadly, add Rancho San Marcos to this list.

Tim Leahy

Really liked this course. Expensive but scenic and challenging. Surprised they couldn't stay open with a lesser green fee. Must be water costs.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jeff Schley

Oh wow. That is a surprise, California needs good public courses and IMO this was above average for sure.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Joel_Stewart

The web site said they are closing temporarily because of Covid?  It's a little odd because public golf is booming right now.

I didn't see any news releases.

This is one of Ty Warner properties who has deep pockets.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 10:27:33 PM by Joel_Stewart »

Chris Mavros

Re: Rancho San Marcos
[/size]
[/size]This e-mail was sent out to some of its vendors:[/size]

"Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have decided to close Rancho San Marcos Golf Course indefinitely. This was an extraordinarily painful decision to make, but after exploring every option, the economic conditions make it impossible to sustain our current level of operations. We are very grateful to our loyal guests and hard-working employees over the years at this property."

[/size]
[/size]While I went to college nearby, it wasn't until this January +20 years later I had a chance to play the course.  I enjoyed it.  Hopefully things change and we see it re-open at some point.

Alex Miller

Considering Santa Barbara County has, well had, 3 mid to high end courses before RSM closed this is a tough loss. I also really liked the course. The three holes crammed on top of the hill in order to get a view are certainly the weak point, but the rest of the course is solid. And the clubhouse and putting green amongst the Oak Trees was a lovely place to hang out.  Hope they do reopen in the future.

B.Ross

Considering Santa Barbara County has, well had, 3 mid to high end courses before RSM closed this is a tough loss. I also really liked the course. The three holes crammed on top of the hill in order to get a view are certainly the weak point, but the rest of the course is solid. And the clubhouse and putting green amongst the Oak Trees was a lovely place to hang out.  Hope they do reopen in the future.

One has to think that with both The Mission Club & Alisal Ranch now being accessible to the public as opposed to semi-private to fully private, as a pair they cut into Rancho San Marcos' market share of higher end public golf in Santa Barbara County.

Jeff Schley

Re: An unofficial list of California courses that are closed (9th update)
« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2020, 04:08:15 AM »
Elkins Ranch in Filmore is closing right after Labor Day unfortunately. Never played there, but been around 60 years as a public course owned by a family.
https://calgolfnews.com/elkins-ranch-golf-course-closing-on-sept-7/
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

R_Paulis

« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2020, 07:42:37 PM »

The web site said they are closing temporarily because of Covid?  It's a little odd because public golf is booming right now.

Not sure what's going on with Ty Warner's properties. I think Sandpiper only re-opened recently, quite a bit after other courses opened post Covid lockdown. As of a couple of weeks ago Warner's Montecito CC course had no golfers. And his Four Season's Biltmore Hotel in Montecito remains closed. I think it was undergoing a remodel before Covid.

Are the Privates courses operating in Santa Barbara/Ventura Counties? I think Ojai Valley Inn remains closed. I do know the better Public's in the area (Rustic/Soule/Olivas) are packed. I was assuming it was due to more golfing during the pandemic but are there less options?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2020, 10:56:30 PM »

Not sure what's going on with Ty Warner's properties. I think Sandpiper only re-opened recently, quite a bit after other courses opened post Covid lockdown. As of a couple of weeks ago Warner's Montecito CC course had no golfers. And his Four Season's Biltmore Hotel in Montecito remains closed. I think it was undergoing a remodel before Covid.

Are the Privates courses operating in Santa Barbara/Ventura Counties? I think Ojai Valley Inn remains closed. I do know the better Public's in the area (Rustic/Soule/Olivas) are packed. I was assuming it was due to more golfing during the pandemic but are there less options?

Montecito CC is insane.  The course has been ready for play for almost 3 years?  The rebuild of the clubhouse and grounds have taken forever.

JimB

« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2020, 11:24:59 PM »

Montecito CC is insane.  The course has been ready for play for almost 3 years?  The rebuild of the clubhouse and grounds have taken forever.

MC was open before COVID and was doing very well, especially on the social membership side. Mr. Warner has been very conservative with reopening all of his properties in the Santa Barbara area after shutting down for COVID. His Biltmore property was the subject of employee protests a few days ago. Sandpiper did reopen very recently. Sadly RSM is in a holding pattern.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2020, 12:08:30 AM »

As of a couple weeks ago both the Valley Club and La Cumbre were open.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back