News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Malcolm Mckinnon

Goswick Golf Club, Yummy Indeed!
« on: October 21, 2016, 10:37:30 PM »
I see that Ran is liking Goswick. Here are some photos!

I probably did not post these photos earlier as I did not consider them to be my greatest effort. These are a few years old, August 2014 to be exact.

About an hour and 15 minutes southeast of Edinburgh in the town of Berwick upon Tweed on the Northumbrian coast this is a James Braid design that works it's way around one large dune ridge. There are some really great holes! It's inspiring to ascend to the top of the dune ridge and see and hear the North Sea waves crashing on the long beach on the other side of the dune and thousands of sea birds crying and swirling around.

Here is the same green that Ran admires from some different angles...

DSCN0580 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

And this...

DSCN0581 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

Welcome to Goswick!!!

DSCN0537 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

And a typical UK clubhouse...

DSCN0538 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

I will sort through my photos and try to find the best to post later!

Malcolm Mckinnon

Re: Goswick Golf Club, Yummy Indeed!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 11:02:58 PM »
OK here is a taste. Photo of approach up onto the ridge on hole number one.

DSCN0541 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

View of beach from 2nd tee...

DSCN0544 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

And a view of 2nd hole, a short par 3...

DSCN0543 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

Short is not good!

DSCN0545 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

View of green...

DSCN0546 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

More tomorrow...

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 11:05:10 AM »
Goswick has always been a favorite of mine. Just a short drive from Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Story - 30 years ago my wife and I played there with friends. Bright pink golf balls were a new thing. My wife had a sleeve and played one through nine holes where she hooked one left. Never found it, although it should have been just off the fairway in some light rough...? After coming off 18 two small boys were proudly showing off a bright pink ball to another boy ... when asked where they got it, the boys said they had had it for several days ... too funny.

Goswick is charming, and the bacon sandwich is worth the drive all on its own.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

JJShanley

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 03:04:59 PM »
Let's say you've an extra 48 hours in East Lothian, and you have only time to play Goswick on the east coast, or Silloth on the west.

What do you pick, not taking into account any difference in travel time?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 05:14:02 PM »
Let's say you've an extra 48 hours in East Lothian, and you have only time to play Goswick on the east coast, or Silloth on the west.

What do you pick, not taking into account any difference in travel time?
Silloth.  But it's close and Silloth is very, very good indeed.  You tell us to ignore the travel time but, actually, this is one where I'd say it was close enough to that Goswick should be your choice if in East Lothian.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jon Byron

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:59:50 AM »
Mark -- I would enjoy playing both with you! Glorious location for golf course.
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 11:28:04 AM »
John, both very suitable venues for a mini-GCA get-together, if the rest of the Scottish contingent was up for a cross-border sortie.  Either way, we should arrange something next year.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

JJShanley

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 01:17:16 PM »
John, both very suitable venues for a mini-GCA get-together, if the rest of the Scottish contingent was up for a cross-border sortie.  Either way, we should arrange something next year.

So the Goswick drive seems much shorter than I remember from 2003.  I'd probably narrowly choose Silloth, but it doesn't reflect badly on Goswick.  I had a grand time at each course, in the company of Papa Shanley.  I think Goswick partners with Dunbar (and Roxeburgh, which I wouldn't revisit) on a combined greens fee.  Dunbar is another fun course (dad played there until a skin cancer diagnosis in 1985) which I have enjoyed, but it sits just far enough away that folk don't talk about it.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 01:33:46 PM »
JJ, I have only played Dunbar once, a couple of years ago in March and I really enjoyed it.  I'll look into the combined green fee arrangement.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 01:56:05 PM »
Apologies for being a slightly dissenting voice, but to me Silloth is in a different class altogether to Goswick. The latter has some lovely holes in a wonderful, remote and natural location but suffers (still) from the loss of land to the south of the links early in its genesis, and the consequent crowding in of some unsatisfactory holes around the clubhouse, not least the 18th. Silloth is in the very top draw of British seaside courses, and Goswick (although very good overall) is not. In value for money terms, both are terrific, and absolutely worth a good detour when heading up the west or east coast en route to or from Scotland.

David McIntosh

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 05:49:44 PM »
Mark,

A cross border sortie?.....count me in!

The combined fee deal is as follows:

Championship Tour - Dunbar, Goswick and Roxburghe for £140 per person (£10 supplement at Dunbar at weekends)
http://www.dunbar-golfclub.co.uk/visitors/green-fees

I've only played Dunbar once, a few years ago now, but recall that I very much enjoyed the course and wouldn't mind another game there soon. Goswick has been on my hit list for quite a while but I've not made it down yet so some sort of get-together next year would be ideal.

Silloth is an outstanding course and definitely worth the trip to see regardless of where you're coming from. If I get the chance to play Goswick next year I'll chime in as to whether it's sufficiently better than Goswick (if at all) to warrant the journey from East Lothian given the additional travel time.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:51:20 PM by David McIntosh »

Tim Gallant

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 02:53:53 AM »
Mark,

A cross border sortie?.....count me in!

The combined fee deal is as follows:

Championship Tour - Dunbar, Goswick and Roxburghe for £140 per person (£10 supplement at Dunbar at weekends)
http://www.dunbar-golfclub.co.uk/visitors/green-fees

I've only played Dunbar once, a few years ago now, but recall that I very much enjoyed the course and wouldn't mind another game there soon. Goswick has been on my hit list for quite a while but I've not made it down yet so some sort of get-together next year would be ideal.

Silloth is an outstanding course and definitely worth the trip to see regardless of where you're coming from. If I get the chance to play Goswick next year I'll chime in as to whether it's sufficiently better than Goswick (if at all) to warrant the journey from East Lothian given the additional travel time.

Count me in as well! I haven't played Goswick yet, but is one I would love to see with you chaps.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 12:32:19 PM »
Warkworth GC, apparently an Old Tom Morris links layout from 1891, has been recommended to me several times by a few folk.

Honesty Box, only 9-holes and full of charm and quirk apparently. Even a caravan park nearby. The closeby town of the same name is rather nice and has a wonderful historical castle.

http://www.warkworthgolfclub.co.uk

Satmap - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.3528453,-1.6000501,16z/data=!3m1!1e3

Atb

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 12:00:07 AM »
Hurray! Some interest in Goswick from my UK friends at last!

Perhaps I can find a few other decent photos...

The majority of the golf course plays away from the sea side of the dune, back and forth, up and down before finally crossing over the dune on the back nine briefly.

I don't have too many good pictures but...

Here, away from the dune on the third tee.

DSCN0549 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

Approach to 3rd

DSCN0550 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

3rd Green

DSCN0551 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

4th tee view

DSCN0552 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

4th approach

DSCN0553 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

4th green!

DSCN0554 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

4th Green from behind

DSCN0555 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

5th tee

DSCN0556 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

5th approach

DSCN0557 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

5th green from behind

DSCN0559 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

6th tee

DSCN0560 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

Mid 6th hole

DSCN0561 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

6th approach..

DSCN0562 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

6th green

DSCN0564 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

7th tee...

DSCN0565 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

7th approach..

DSCN0566 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

8th tee

DSCN0568 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

Bunkers on 8th..

DSCN0569 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

View of 8th...

DSCN0570 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

8th green..

DSCN0571 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

Back of 9th par 3

DSCN0572 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 12:24:46 AM »
Jonjoe,

Silloth is the better by far. Not even close.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 12:38:39 AM »
Also,

I really enjoyed playing Dunbar but Goswick is a better course and Silloth much, much better but a much longer drive from Edinburgh! Silloth is over two hours each way!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:50:10 AM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 04:40:42 AM »
It always seems like these combo deals slip in a course which doesn't appeal...thus ripping the value out of the deal.  Goswick has long been on my radar to play and it will likely have to be as a side trip from E Lothian.  I am somewhat surprised by the pix, I didn't realize the course wasn't over layed out through rumpling dunes.  There is evidence of some movement, but not much.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 05:28:41 PM »
Sean,

Goswick is a super course and the pics do not truly show the movement on the course which is enough to make the game very interesting. I am presuming you think that Roxeburgh which though not bad will not win to many awards especially on GCA. I have played it once a while back and would imagine it is not the best winter course.

Jon

David McIntosh

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 06:40:03 PM »
Sean,

I was thinking the same thing about the perceived value of the combo deal. I've played the Roxburghe once but wouldn't exactly rush back. I can remember parts of the course although not everything in great detail but I do recall that I enjoyed it more than the other Dave Thomas courses I've played at Cardrona and Spey Valley. It's by no means a bad course but just doesn't hold the same appeal as seeing Goswick or playing Dunbar again.

Jon,

I think it was October two or three years ago that I played the Roxburghe, so definitely the back end of the season. We started in the pouring rain, very much a case of "we've driven all the way down here so we're going out!". It was a little hairy in places but I thought it held up reasonably well for that time of year and taking into account the monsoon that greeted us on arrival. Could see it getting a little dicey if we'd left it any later in the year to play though.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 10:58:52 PM »
Re: the combo deal.

I bought a package that included Goswick, Bamburgh Castle and Alnmouth GC/Foxton Hall. Other than the extended drive out of Edinburgh it was an excellent value.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 11:17:13 PM »
10th tee heading out!

DSCN0573 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

10th approach..

DSCN0575 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

11th Tee..

DSCN0576 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

11th approach..

DSCN0577 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

Green view..

DSCN0578 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

12th Tee..

DSCN0579 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

12th Green

DSCN0580 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

12th Green again..

DSCN0581 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

12th , looking back!..

DSCN0582 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 11:30:42 PM »
13th par 3 and over the Spine of the sand ridge!..

DSCN0583 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

13th green!

DSCN0584 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

14th Tee and back up against the beach side of the dune ridge...

DSCN0586 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

Mid 14th fairway. Green is where exactly?? I think I see a touch of flag.

DSCN0587 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

14th Green!!!

DSCN0588 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

Yikes! 14th green again!

DSCN0589 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 12:13:15 AM »
15th tee and back to the beach with crashing waves off the North Sea and swirling and crying sea birds!

DSCN0590 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 02:43:23 AM »
Malcolm, glad you are stil enjoying your visits to Scotland. Have long been curious and its great to see these pictures. Thanks
Let's make GCA grate again!

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 11:13:45 PM »
OK let's take it in to the clubhouse!

The 15th is a drop shot par 3 from the summit of the sand ridge away from the beach and sea.

DSCN0591 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

Another view of 15th green...

DSCN0592 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

16th tee view

DSCN0593 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

16th fairway...

DSCN0594 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

16th approach...

DSCN0595 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

17th tee..

DSCN0596 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

17th Fairway...

DSCN0597 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

17th approach...

DSCN0598 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

18th tee...

DSCN0599 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

18th approach...

DSCN0601 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

18th Green...

DSCN0602 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

18th again...

DSCN0603 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

One of the finer Seaside Golf Courses in the UK, but as it is unknown a great value!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 09:35:30 AM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back