News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

South Course at Arcadia Bluffs
« on: October 19, 2016, 08:01:25 AM »
Another thread exists somewhere on this. Here is the first press release I've seen about Fry/Straka and this course:

http://www.thegolfwire.com/story/326390

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Buck Wolter

Re: South Course at Arcadia Bluffs
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 08:55:45 AM »
Another thread exists somewhere on this. Here is the first press release I've seen about Fry/Straka and this course:

http://www.thegolfwire.com/story/326390

Interesting blurb
"Fry/Straka is pleased to have Warren Henderson, architect of the original Arcadia Bluffs Course, lead the project management aspect and provide construction oversight throughout the entire project"
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Howard Riefs

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 05:43:08 PM »
I'm surprised that the second course will be located a mile away. I thought it would've been on east side of M-22 and slightly south. Not a mile. At least that's how I envisioned it upon reading the initial thread. (Akin to how Caledonia is located in proximity to True Blue in Myrtle Beach.)

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63255.msg1506078.html

Are there other examples of two-course facilities under the same ownership (be it public, resorts, munis) where the courses are located ~1 mile from each other and each have their own clubhouse?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 05:44:48 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 06:41:09 PM »

Are there other examples of two-course facilities under the same ownership (be it public, resorts, munis) where the courses are located ~1 mile from each other and each have their own clubhouse?

Merion, for one.

Jon Heise

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 07:54:40 PM »
Cabot!

Also- very, very excited.  So much good golf news coming up.  And tons of it in Michigan.
I still like Greywalls better.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 11:18:50 PM »
I wonder if DeVries and/or Doak were considered? Suprising how little play they get in their state.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 03:07:59 AM »
Links Trust St.A

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 10:32:47 AM »
The second course at Island Resort on the MI UP will be about 8 miles away from Sweetgrass, with its own clubhouse.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

George Freeman

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 12:18:07 PM »
The second course at Island Resort on the MI UP will be about 8 miles away from Sweetgrass, with its own clubhouse.

Tim -

Do you know who is doing this course?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 06:24:54 PM »

Les Pins (original Simpson course) and Les Dunes at Hardelot in France are about a mile from each other and have separate clubhouses.  It was the only reason I took the car to work at Les Pins (with it's closed course and clubhouse) last winter as opposed to walking; delicious warm French cooking at Les Dunes was always worth it.
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 06:44:08 PM »
Giants Ridge up in MN has two courses a mile apart with separate clubhouses.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 10:21:59 PM »

Now that I think about it, Bandon Dunes has four courses almost adjacent to one another, three of which have their own clubhouses.  Old Macdonald only has a small pro shop of its own, but starts from yet another separate spot.

Also, to Buck's question:  no, I was not interviewed for the job at Arcadia.  They probably don't like what I've said about their first course.  :)

Steve Lang

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 05:55:15 PM »
 8)  ...  i view it as no big deal, will wait and see, as AB is the only course I've ever played where twilight golf was an enforced 18 holes!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jon Heise

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 08:05:16 PM »

Tim -

Albanese and Lutzke are doing #2... Sage Run.  Very excited!
I still like Greywalls better.

Peter Flory

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 01:09:30 AM »
New South Course at Arcadia Bluffs begins to take shape

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/new-south-course-at-arcadia-bluffs-begins-to-take-shape

"The course has been designed with wide fairways, flat bottomed bunkers and steep grass faces, and as something of a throwback to the types of courses created in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Many of the greens will feature false fronts and squared off edges. Different areas of the greens will also be protected by steep slopes."

I like the angle that they are taking.  Hopefully they pull it off well. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 01:11:15 AM by Peter Flory »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 09:37:33 AM »

Paul Albanese is an MI guy, correct?

Tim -

Albanese and Lutzke are doing #2... Sage Run.  Very excited!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 09:39:44 AM »

Do you mean, if you didn't finish the 18 by nightfall, they made you stay out there until you did?  :D :D :D

I once slipped a kid a bill to go look for carts on the other side of a course in PA, so that we could finish our last two holes. I usually don't have money to give away, but this was a special circumstance.

8)  ...  i view it as no big deal, will wait and see, as AB is the only course I've ever played where twilight golf was an enforced 18 holes!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve Lang

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 09:11:50 PM »
 8)  Ron, no.... we finished a 5.5 hour round, just barely as sun was going down out across the lake and went back out to quickly replay a hole or two before darkness fully set in... someone came out and informed us that twiliight rates were only for 18 holes, we couldn't play anymore... never ever been told that elsewhere in 56 years!  No interest in ever playing there again.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 09:50:30 PM »
Steve, for better or worse, they were/are one of the few courses that charged raters to play. They didn't want to comp anyone, for whatever reason.

We were on a Michigan junket in 2008 when we played, and we took the first twilight (2 pm) round available; it cut the freight in half, to $100.

I recall that diner up the road that seated you and took your order in 5 minutes, then took 75 minutes to deliver the food. We almost missed our tee time.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back