News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Hurricane Matthew: Check In
« on: October 09, 2016, 06:22:08 PM »
Prayers and support to all in the line of the hurricane. Check in and let us know how you are, if you need anything. Godspeed.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

noonan

Re: Hurricane Matthew: Check In
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 07:09:01 PM »
Did TPC Sawgrass get any damage?

Matthew Essig

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 09:11:10 PM »
How's Harbour Town?
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 07:19:09 PM »
I was thinking more people than courses, in this time of selflessness.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 10:47:08 PM »
Jacksonville was fortunate to have received a glancing blow... The storm passed by about 40 miles offshore and caused considerable flooding in some low lying coastal areas as well as damage to oceanfront property and infrastructure where the dunes were basically obliterated. If the storm had followed the earlier predicted path (much closer to land) damage and flooding would've been massive. As it was, most people I know were thankful to only endure power outages and the occasional limb/tree damage.

Other than downed trees and bunker washouts I think golf courses fared generally very well.

Phil Lipper

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 08:03:01 AM »
I just saw some pictures of Colleton River and they sustained major damage. The 17th green on the Nicklaus course is going to need to be rebuilt, to give you idea of the power of the storm there was a fairly large boat laying in bunker on 17.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 12:04:53 PM »
I just saw some pictures of Colleton River and they sustained major damage. The 17th green on the Nicklaus course is going to need to be rebuilt, to give you idea of the power of the storm there was a fairly large boat laying in bunker on 17.

Long Cove lost 750+ trees. Ford Plantation over 1500.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 12:50:46 PM »

https://twitter.com/PWarco/status/785247305586896896

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Scott Weersing

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 07:30:28 PM »
We had 13 inches of rain here in Virginia Beach on Saturday. The golf courses are in low areas and will survive even though they were underwater. We had 12 inches of rain in three days back in September. So the greens are in great shape as they did not get any play for a week and I expect the same for this week.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 09:57:03 PM »
Southern Pines had 9+ inches. Played 9 at Mid Pines on Sunday and 9 at Pine Needles yesterday and other than rain washed bunkers and a couple of large trees down that had already been removed the courses played as normal for post rain days. The beauty of living in the Sandhills.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 07:41:57 AM »
Southern Pines had 9+ inches. Played 9 at Mid Pines on Sunday and 9 at Pine Needles yesterday and other than rain washed bunkers and a couple of large trees down that had already been removed the courses played as normal for post rain days. The beauty of living in the Sandhills.

If your favorite tree over there on #4 at MP is still standing, it is meant to be!

Jay Mickle

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 08:27:49 AM »

If your favorite tree over there on #4 at MP is still standing, it is meant to be!

It still stands but so do the poplars on 18
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 02:22:13 PM »
Shackelford website has pictures of Harbour Town and said that Hilton Head Island was closed (no bridge traffic) until Monday.

David_Tepper

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 05:22:28 PM »

That's the front yard of the international global compound of GolfClubAtlas world headquarters. Pine collides into other pines and seven trees are being removed all up.

Our beloved Southern Pines CC less than one mile away lost ~34 large trees. A disproportionately high # were hardwoods as they don't sway in the wind like a pine. When coupled with sandy soil, not good.

Best,

Matthew Essig

"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 06:54:28 PM »
So ... kind of getting it. Glad to know that Jay and HRH, First Viscount of the Sanded Hills, are well.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT GOLF COURSES. I CARE ABOUT PEOPLE.

done shouting.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John_Cullum

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 07:38:04 PM »
So ... kind of getting it. Glad to know that Jay and HRH, First Viscount of the Sanded Hills, are well.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT GOLF COURSES. I CARE ABOUT PEOPLE.

done shouting.

Thanks for asking. I'm fine. The river house only suffered a huge mess in the yard. The beach house at Tybee had some significant tree damage. Miraculously no tree fell on the house, and the dock has some modest damage. I probably have about $4000 plus in tree removal.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2016, 06:08:01 AM »
Harbour Town not looking good:

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2016/10/12/harbour-town-not-looking-good-after-matthew.html

Course closed for a couple weeks...

http://www.golfweek.com/quick_shot/harbour-town-golf-links-hurricane-matthew-hilton-head-damage-clean-up/

Interesting thing for all those HHI courses, is now is their overseed time, including Harbour Town. Wonder if Matthew with force the hand and we will see some of the HHIl courses not overseeded? 
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Howard Riefs

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back