News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

'Famous Golf Links' - Horace Hutchinson book
« on: September 28, 2016, 01:43:29 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of this book (published approx 1890/1)?

I'm doing some reseach - golf archeology!? - and believe some of the courses I'm interested in are included in this book.

If you have a copy or access to a copy I'd be obliged if you could get in touch.

Thanks in anticipation.

Atb

Eric Hammerbacher

Re: 'Famous Golf Links' - Horace Hutchinson book
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 08:47:38 PM »
No, sorry, but I just picked up Hutchinson's Hints on Golf and it's great. The chapter "Hints to Golfers of Riper Years" is hilarious.  Were all his writings this funny?
"All it takes, in truth, for a golfer to attain his happiness is a fence rail to throw his coat on, and a target somewhere over the rise." -John Updike 1994

Bret Lawrence

Richard Fisher

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 03:02:13 AM »
Thomas

Famous Golf Links is very rare, and much rarer than its close successor of 1897, British Golf Links, of which I (like I suspect several GCA adherents) do possess a copy in its 2005 facsimile form.

The full bibliographic description of Famous Golf Links is given as

FAMOUS GOLF LINKS. By Horace G. Hutchinson, Andrew Lang, H. S. C. Everard, T. Rutherford Clark etc.
With numerous illustrations by F. P. Hopkins, T. Hodge, H. S. King, and from Photographs. 
Published London. Longman, Green, and Co. 1891.

You can see that there are several names here among the contributors whom Hutchinson also induced to contribute to the celebrated Badminton volume (wherein appeared such classic essays as HH's own Hints to Golfers of Riper Years, as above).

Which courses are you particularly interested in? There is apparently very considerable crossover between the 1891 work and the successor of 1897? Hope this helps a bit.

All best Richard

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 11:30:19 AM »

The USGA archive has the book.  Linking you to the book is not as easy as I thought.

Try this link:

http://digitalarchives.usga.org/library/index.php/

Above the search bar, click on the link titled  Browse Collections

Click on the SEGL folder, then click on the Books folder.

"Famous Golf Links" will be found on the second page about half way down the page.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 11:37:35 AM »
Thank you to all who have replied to my enquiry either here or by PM for your help and advice. I now have what I was looking for.
One of the great aspects of the GCA community, sharing information.

Many thanks.
Atb

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 06:27:14 AM »
Thomas

Hutchinson's "Famous Golf Links" was largely incorporated and greatly expanded into "British Golf Links" in 1897.  It details ~50 of the greatest "links" of that time, in the UK as well as France.  It has been reprinted fairly recently with editing and a forward and afterword by Dan Wexler.  High quality production.  ~350 large pages with excellently reproduced graphics.  ISBN 1-58726-008-5 with a sticker price of $85.  I bought it new several years ago and I'm sure I paid quite a bit less.

I highly recommend it.

Rich

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:29:47 AM by Rich Goodale »
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back