News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Max Sternberg

Last Minute Ireland Solo
« on: May 05, 2016, 11:11:56 AM »
Just had a week open up and with airfares lower than I have ever seen, I am tempted to do a last minute (10 days out) week in Northern Ireland.

Thinking of focusing on Portstewart, Portrush, Castlerock, and trying to get a time (if possible) at RCD on the way back to Dublin.

Is this crazy or doable?

Charles Lund

Re: Last Minute Ireland Solo
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 01:49:19 PM »
I would encourage you to do the trip if you have solo golf travel experience and can handle left side driving.  Are you going solo or area you going with a friend or two?

When is your anticipated arrival date in Dublin?  Is it your first trip to Ireland and Northern Ireland?

I will be at Ballyliffin and County Donegal after May 28th.  The area is on the Inishowen Peninsula just north of Derry, but in the Republic and on the Euro. 

There was a lot covered on a  thread on Self Directed Golf Travel.

Charles Lund

Carl Nichols

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 02:00:17 PM »
Just had a week open up and with airfares lower than I have ever seen, I am tempted to do a last minute (10 days out) week in Northern Ireland.

Thinking of focusing on Portstewart, Portrush, Castlerock, and trying to get a time (if possible) at RCD on the way back to Dublin.

Is this crazy or doable?

Easily doable.  I played those courses (plus Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, the Island, County Louth, and European Club) in a trip that didn't last much longer than 7 days if I recall correctly.  I wasn't by myself, but that shouldn't really affect your itinerary. 

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 02:13:32 PM »
You should check status of renovations/new holes at Royal Portrush -- a full 18 holes was not possible during mid-March, when I was in the UK.

Max Sternberg

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 05:00:23 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

It would be my first time to Ireland/NI, but I have done plenty of solo travel. Might be too last minute but I'd like to see if I could make it work. Still waiting to hear from a few places.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 05:19:44 PM »
Tee times are very scarce this year but getting one as a single will be much easier. Wouldn't say it's too last minute at all and could be one of the great adventures!
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Charles Lund

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 11:05:16 PM »

Is this crazy or doable?

Easily doable.  I played those courses (plus Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, the Island, County Louth, and European Club) in a trip that didn't last much longer than 7 days if I recall correctly.  I wasn't by myself, but that shouldn't really affect your itinerary.

Agree about the above courses.  If there are complications with play at RCD and Royal Portrush, the courses mentioned above would be very good options.  I really had good experiences with The European Club, about an hour south of Dublin.  They handled single play well on multiple occasions I played there.  They were flexible and welcoming.  They had a special where if you paid the full rate for a round, they offered a replay at half the cost within the next week.  The Island and County Louth are not far north of Dublin. 

Charles Lund

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 02:05:24 AM »
Max,

My first trip to Ireland was solo and there is no doubt it remains the most memorable of many enjoyable trips.

Go ahead if you have a sense of adventure.
Tim Weiman

Ruediger Meyer

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 05:50:07 AM »
I wouldn't play the Dunluce course at the moment. I was there ten days ago, they had three temp greens (2,3,8) had just sanded the fairways and the overall playing conditions were much worse than at Portstewart and Castlerock.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 09:35:52 AM »
In addition to all of the BIG name courses, while at RCD take a side trip to Ardglass. A very fun course with some fine holes.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

David_Moorhead

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 10:28:42 AM »
If you can get tee times that work, it's absolutely doable.  I did a solo trip to SW Ireland in 2009, and it was one of the best experiences of my life.  Few people make you feel as welcome as the Irish.  I drove myself, stayed in B&Bs with vouchers that I bought ahead of time, and it was great.  Best tips that I got: (1) don't worry about your score and (2) when you go to a pub, sit at the bar. After a pint or two, you'll be buddies with the guy next to you. Just make sure you pick up a round.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 11:37:33 AM »
In addition to all of the BIG name courses, while at RCD take a side trip to Ardglass. A very fun course with some fine holes.

I was going to mention Ardglass too.   The good holes are very good, some of the inland holes are ho hum but it's worth a visit. 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 02:24:33 PM »
Max,

Sometimes as a solo it's difficult to get a game if club or other comps/events are going on at your hoped for first choice of course on a given day or you may also have a few hours to kill before you can play.

If so don't ignore some of the second courses at the major clubs you have mentioned. Take the opportunity to play courses like the Annesley at RCD, The Bann at Castlerock, the Old or River at Portstewart. They might not be of the same standard as their famous near neighbours but you might be surprised how much interest and fun they can provide and at a price that's light on the wallet.

As to lower profile others, maybe hop onto the ferry over the River Foyle and play Greencastle, a course Jeff's often mentioned herein or maybe go further south, just into the Republic, to Greenore, which a friend of mine has frequently highlighted to me is worth a play.

Atb

Charles Lund

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 06:01:14 PM »
If you hop off the ferry across Loch Foyle, go to Ballyliffin Golf Club, about 30 minutes from the ferry.  There are two 18 hole links courses, Glashedy and The Old Links.  Call ahead or email about a tee time.  Weekdays are generally easy to get on.  Glashedy is ranked #9 in the Republic of Ireland and The Old Links is ranked #15.  Glashedy is the more difficult of the two. 

If you are up that far,  you are about four plus hours from Dublin.   You are pretty far north.   These two courses are the most northerly courses on the Island, actually farther north than Portstewart or Royal Portrush.

Charles Lund

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back