News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

The wisdom of a spouse who doesn't play golf...
« on: May 03, 2016, 10:02:12 PM »
I have taken to playing golf lately with my wife as my caddie as we walk the course. I love her opinions of the game. Just yesterday she opined that people who walk love the natural aspect of the game while the people in carts must love the game for the game itself. It can be a beautiful game when the game is stripped away. Have any of you had similar experiences with novices?

She recently asked me how I find my ball after I hit it. I simply explained that you look down the middle of the fairway and if you don't see it there, you haven't walked far enough.

What do you learn from, or teach to, people who don't play?

note: When we play I carry one club and she carries one extra ball. It can be so simple.

Peter Pallotta

Re: The wisdom of a spouse who doesn't play golf...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 10:40:32 PM »
Nice. I'd never thought of it that way, but I think the Mrs. is right.

Last summer I took a friend from Kenya out for his first ever round of golf. (A very good athlete, he did well. But he joked that he hoped no one was taking pictures - because if it got back to his friends and family that he was playing golf, everyone would be saying "Let's ask Mwangi to buy us a car -- he must be rich!")

He liked the game a lot, more than I think he thought he would. About half way through he said "If the holes were straight it would be a boring game. But everything is always turning a little bit, and so that makes you think as well as use your muscles".

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 06:16:43 AM »
My wife has been to the course a few times.  She doesn't in the least care about the game...she focused almost solely on the aesthetics of the course...and usually she was damning.  Its quite clear to her that she wouldn't even bother trying to learn the game unless she was pleased with the surroundings.  Of course, she banged on about eliminating straight lines, using planting better and more efficiently, creating blended layers rather than sharp transitions etc.   The funniest thing she had to say was about bunkers..."for heaven's sake, you would think grown men could do better"  :o   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 07:56:13 AM »
my wife doesn't play at all but my gca obsession has led to many a comment from her about the relative quality of a course we may be walking or driving by just by the look of the land to her eye.. and in most cases she is very much right!

she could probably name many a top 100 course and even the odd architect. I'm sure she is glad for the knowledge...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 08:16:43 AM »
She recently commented "Nice Brick" on a shot of mine that turned out reasonably well. It took a while to figure out but I had been yelling "Give me a break!", all the while she is thinking I am asking for a brick. I finally got one.

It should come to no ones surprise that a round does not pass without her questioning why or if I have any friends. This usually after one of my "teaching moments". The proper technique of flag tending does not come naturally to a spouse.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 08:40:37 AM »
My wife walked with me while I played the Dunes Club. On the par-3 sixth hole, I dumped one in the woods left of the green. I re-teed and knocked it in the hole. She was a little confused and inquired, "that's good, right?"
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 08:58:32 AM »
 :)
And you said: "That's a par the hard way, baby - 'cause that's how I roll"

Sean - I imagine your Mrs. saying something like: "Jeepers - there are way too many bunkers on this hole. Otherwise it's a cracking good 2 shotter, especially for the flat bellies".

Jason Thurman

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 09:21:17 AM »
My wife walked with me while I played the Dunes Club. On the par-3 sixth hole, I dumped one in the woods left of the green. I re-teed and knocked it in the hole. She was a little confused and inquired, "that's good, right?"

Given past events at the club, I hope you explained to her that she shouldn't go into the clubhouse and brag to everyone about your "ace."
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

David Davis

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 10:53:37 AM »
Big John,

Was she reading over your shoulder when you wrote that?

Just curious...

I use to think it would be really great to have a fanatic golfing girlfriend/spouse, until I had one. Former 2x national champion of Mexico, lovely lady until she didn't understand the importance of my first invitation to visit Cypress Point and tried to get in the way of me accepting that potentially once in a lifetime event. Naturally, that was grounds for breaking off the engagement. Duh...of course! Best decision I ever made!

Now I'm perfectly happy with a girlfriend that enjoys watching it on TV once in a while and happy to live in a country where the weather is too brutal for all but the most diehard of caddies to tag along and make comments about rabbits mucking about in the rough and tulips swaying in the wind. After all it's hard to keep your hair perfect in a 25 mph gust. Though I do continue to ask if she would like to join me.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 11:10:37 AM »

Given past events at the club, I hope you explained to her that she shouldn't go into the clubhouse and brag to everyone about your "ace."

My friend Jason refers to an incident where a former member was playing by himself with a caddie and went into the clubhouse trumpeting his "ace" on the 6th hole.  He wanted his name on the board listing holes-in-one.  After he left, his caddie informed the staff that it was a hole-in-three.  His membership was terminated the next day.  That's where Class kicks the Ass out of the club, Bub!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:14:24 AM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Carl Nichols

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 11:21:38 AM »

My friend Jason refers to an incident where a former member was playing by himself with a caddie and went into the clubhouse trumpeting his "ace" on the 6th hole.  He wanted his name on the board listing holes-in-one.  After he left, his caddie informed the staff that it was a hole-in-three.  His membership was terminated the next day.  That's where Class kicks the Ass out of the club, Bub!

That's awesome.  Someone should write up a collection of the best (and true) caught-cheating stories.  I've heard a couple lately that are strong, but this is one of the best I've heard.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 11:39:06 AM »

Terry,

Doesn't it feel good to verbalize that and open up to group about that?  I'm sure its been weighing on you for quite awhile  now!!  ;D

Terry Lavin

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 11:44:18 AM »

Terry,

Doesn't it feel good to verbalize that and open up to group about that?  I'm sure its been weighing on you for quite awhile  now!!  ;D

It is cleansing, thanks!   ;D

BHoover

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 11:47:16 AM »
I would have told everyone I made a hole-in-three to get out of the bar tab. My wife would NOT be okay with a huge bar bill to celebrate an ace.

When I nearly made an ace during the member-member tournament a few years back, I panicked because I figured my wife would have immediately called the club to terminate our membership when I got home.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 11:54:23 AM »
That explains so much...

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 11:59:49 AM »

Just curious...

I use to think it would be really great to have a fanatic golfing girlfriend/spouse, until I had one. Former 2x national champion of Mexico, lovely lady until she didn't understand the importance of my first invitation to visit Cypress Point and tried to get in the way of me accepting that potentially once in a lifetime event. Naturally, that was grounds for breaking off the engagement. Duh...of course! Best decision I ever made!

Now I'm perfectly happy with a girlfriend that enjoys watching it on TV once in a while and happy to live in a country where the weather is too brutal for all but the most diehard of caddies to tag along and make comments about rabbits mucking about in the rough and tulips swaying in the wind. After all it's hard to keep your hair perfect in a 25 mph gust. Though I do continue to ask if she would like to join me.

In my experience, the perfect combination is a wife who comes from a golfing family (i.e. family belonged to a club, father played often, golf was on the TV, etc.) and can play enough that when kids are grown and out of the house she can join the 9-holers.

And, did i follow that advice?  absolutely not.

BHoover

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 12:03:55 PM »
That explains so much...

But rest assured that if I were to make an ace during an official BuddyUp! round of golf, I'm definitely buying for my BuddyUp! playing partners.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 12:27:40 PM »
That explains so much...

But rest assured that if I were to make an ace during an official BuddyUp! round of golf, I'm definitely buying for my BuddyUp! playing partners.

Well, I'm aiming for the stick on the second at Prairie Dunes this summer.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 12:47:22 PM »
I can see where the golfing spouse thing could be a tough situation.  Everyone needs their time/outlets away from each other and therapists confirm this and say its critical for a healthy relationship. I suspect for many here, golf is that outlet...and for others who do play together its a bonding thing.  My wife and I have hit the range a few times together, but it ends there.  She has zero interest, but she has her own things too, so it works out.

P.S. I've had about 4 to 5 potential HIOs over the years that all came within 2-3 feet of going in, and I would gladly play the tab for a round afterwards...

Dave McCollum

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 01:26:34 PM »
My wife, living in London at that time, came up to Scotland and walked a few rounds for the first time.  She walked Brora and Macrihanish.  She greatly preferred Brora and thought those little spring lambs should be a feature on every course.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 02:20:14 PM »
Wife of 35+ years does not play, but has learned to tolerate my habit.  In the few times, she has tagged along, she has had  as much golf experience as she wants by the 3rd or 4th hole.  So her "wisdom" may be that there are too many holes and it takes too long.

But then again, she has never been to Bandon and just driven by Ballyhack.

My "concession" is that when we travel together, anniversaries usually, I do not play golf then.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

John Connolly

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 07:32:53 PM »
I took my wife golfing for the first time in her life about 5 years ago. After the 5th hole she said, "Ok, I get it. We can go in now."
She hasn't been back since.

"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 08:40:26 PM »

My wife started playing about 25 years ago and is a keen player today, but knew bupkis about golf when we were first married.  We went on a weekend trip with three other couples, combo camping and golf, south of San Francisco.  The first day the ladies went off to spend money, the next day they walked the course at Aptos with us.  On the ninth hole I hit a super drive and then shanked my wedge OB.   "Why'd you hit it over there?" she asked.  Luckily for her I did not employ the wedge in response.   It was a completely innocent remark on her part. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 08:45:17 PM »

Hopefully a large bar tab ensued before he was ejected!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 09:01:22 PM »
That explains so much...

Well, I'm aiming for the stick on the second at Prairie Dunes this summer.

I had a very near-miss there last year. As I recall, the play is a punch-draw 7 iron against the wind. Godspeed.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back