News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Kang

Re: Philadelphia Course Recommendations?
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2016, 07:35:04 PM »
Has anyone seen Torresdale since the Union League took it over?  I'm curious.

You're clearly spoiled for choice and on a mission, Sean, but that may be an interesting diversion as well. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:03:44 PM by Jason Kang »

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2016, 08:29:47 PM »
No one has mentioned Applebrook GC, a Gil Hanse course in his hometown, Malvern.  It is very nice as well.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 09:14:29 AM »
Sean,
I believe you will quite enjoy the city of Brotherly Love, and the golf.
You could probably spend three weeks in that town and not exhaust all the quality golf options in the area.
While the temptation is often to pack as much golf as one can into a trip, you often end up in trunk slammer mode and lose the flavor of each locale.
Almost like that speed dating fad that quickly flamed out. That approach kind of cheapens the moment, and distinct memories kind of blur together.
Filter down to a manageable number. Leave time for some cultural and culinary sampling
 And enjoy each day!
Having done both the frenzied jaunt, and the sanity program on golf trips, the latter is usually more memorable and satisfying.
Have a blast!
Kris  8)

Thank you Kris for a post of great advice.  I was lucky enough to visit Philadelphia last fall and played one course a day for five days and the quality of the trip was ideal for me. 

Tim Fenchel

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 09:16:10 AM »
Wow, good for you.  I've been living in the Philly area for 30 years and haven't played ONE of the many top clubs in the region.  You must be living clean.

I think most of the other solid courses have already been mentioned.

Wyncote - A really nice course, always in good condition. Usually windy. I enjoyed each time I played it. District 1 high school championships used to be played here back when I was coaching.  A great course for the top 20 kids...for the rest it was a real grind.

Jeffersonville - if this was a bit longer and not so crowded (has anyone ever played it when there isn't 3 groups on each hole???) it would be making a lot more "lists".  Maybe my favorite and most fun track around.  This past fall it was borderline immaculate in conditioning.

LuLu is great.  I'd hit that for sure.

Lots of people rave about Glen Mills. Certainly a good course but not my particular cup of tea.  Built on the side of a hill and I'd say they make too much of a good thing.

Enjoy.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2016, 09:19:04 AM »
No one has mentioned Applebrook GC, a Gil Hanse course in his hometown, Malvern.  It is very nice as well.

Applebrook is awesome.  But Gil's French Creek is, I think, even better, especially since he redid #14 and tweaked the 4th.

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2016, 11:27:21 AM »
If access isn't an issue (other than Pine Valley), you can't go wrong with any of the courses already mentioned.  My own recommendation would be to include Lancaster CC, Aronimink, Philly Cricket, Merion East and West (same day if you can) and either Rolling Green, Philly CC or Gulph Mills.

I've never had a Schmitter from McNally's, but you must get a cheesesteak from John's Roast Pork, Mama's, Tony Luke's or Jim's and avoid Pat's and Geno's.

I'd do Dnics or joes before any of the above but that's just a New Yorkers opinion. Not counting schmitters as I haven't been yet.

As far as golf I think you pretty much have it covered and to be honest philly is a great town. If you have the above courses covered take a day to explore the sights and sounds . Sacreligous I know lol ....

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2016, 12:16:45 PM »

+1

Also top-flight Doak (Stonewall); Coore/Crenshaw (Hidden Creek); and Bobby Weed (Glen Mills and White Manor)

Sean Ogle

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2016, 12:25:59 PM »
Thank you for all of the advice everyone! Talking to my travel companion and figuring out where to go for our last two days, will update and let you know - but as I expected, certainly doesn't seem to be a shortage of good golf in the region!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2016, 01:30:23 PM »
A must visit is the Barnes Foundation.  This is a Pine Valley or Merion of the art world.   :)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2016, 03:41:27 PM »
Try to make it to White Manor . . .well regarded but still one of the most underrated courses in PA.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2016, 03:43:04 PM »
A must visit is the Barnes Foundation.  This is a Pine Valley or Merion of the art world.   :)

+ 1

And the Mutters Museum... not sure which course it would be?

KMcKeown

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2016, 10:53:50 PM »
And order a Pine Valley at Gulph Mills. See if Faz can caddie for you. I love the influence from Perry Maxwell on the design.

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2016, 12:22:26 PM »

You're clearly spoiled for choice and on a mission, Sean, but that may be an interesting diversion as well.

I played Torresdale last fall -- good condition but seems like some of the money being spent on the clubhouse could be diverted to clearing out more trees.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2016, 01:23:23 PM »

I played Torresdale last fall -- good condition but seems like some of the money being spent on the clubhouse could be diverted to clearing out more trees.

Hopefully even more trees will come down.  Pics from last year:

http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/ULGCatT/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

PThomas

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2016, 03:40:18 PM »
Philly cheesesteaks are overrated!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2016, 03:52:54 PM »

whatever

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2016, 04:15:21 PM »
Go to Monk's for great mussels and Belgian beer....

http://www.monkscafe.com/

D_Malley

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2016, 10:43:35 AM »

YES, if you are in the know.............. order roast pork with xtra sharp

David Amarnek

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 06:43:10 PM »
And order a Pine Valley at Gulph Mills. See if Faz can caddie for you. I love the influence from Perry Maxwell on the design.

KMcKeown,
Excellent advice, both for the drink and the caddie!  Sean, if possible, have Dave mix the Pine Valley's...he's the best!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back