News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

The Secret Attraction of Golf Course Architecture
« on: April 21, 2016, 10:17:40 AM »
In The Problem of Pain C. S. Lewis writes:

Even in your hobbies, has there not always been some secret attraction which the others are curiously ignorant of - something, not to be identified with, but always on the verge of breaking through, the smell of cut wood in the workshop or the clap-clap of water against the boat's side.

What is your secret attraction to the golf course itself?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jason Topp

Re: The Secret Attraction of Golf Course Architecture
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 11:24:20 AM »
The little slope that makes all of the difference on a hole

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 11:52:22 AM »
Micheal H,

Fantastic question!!  My attraction to it is not a secret concept on this site.

Its the melding of raw land and its micro features, whether initially suited for golf or not, into an interesting, natural looking, golf course that seems like the fairways and greens were just mowed and *poof*... a golf course appears.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 12:29:15 PM »
overlay of the game in its complexities in response to context and the creation of context
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

David Wuthrich

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 12:31:27 PM »
Great question.

To me it is seeing how the architect worked with the existing land and features to create a course that flows very naturally from the first hole to the last.  To me a special course is one that looks like it has been there for many, many years and fits in with the rest of the community around the course.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 02:57:49 PM »
As for the golf course itself, I think it's the color green.  I like all shades of green.  I like the contrast between the white ball and all shades of green.  I like a red flag in  a sea of green.  I know I'm supposed to like brown, but I like green. 

As for the architecture I like the abrupt unnatural features however "minimal" they  might be considered, whether it's the rear bank of a vintage tilt up green or the lip of a bunker, or the slightest elevation of a teeing ground.   Small features that are out of place yet somehow make sense. 

I also like leaving and returning.  Not unlike a vacation.

Bogey
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:59:37 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 03:01:36 PM »
In a nutshell, I just like being "out there".

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 03:07:58 PM »
In a nutshell, I just like being "out there".

Oh, you are "out there" all right!  ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 03:42:01 PM »
Playing away from or past the hole to get close.

Being pretty sure you have figured out what the architect really wanted you to do.

The walkers' cut from tee to start of fairway.   

Sam Kestin

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 04:05:17 PM »
I'm with Bill on playing away from the hole.

Few things in golf (to me) are more exhilarating than choosing a landing spot quite a few paces away from the hole, dropping it right on that spot and getting the payoff of the slow trickle as the ball lands on the spot and begins to work its way towards the hole.

I'd also add high-risk/high-reward shots in there--those defining moments in a round where you choose to take on a challenge where you know easily standing over the ball that the score to follow could be anywhere from 3 to 8.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 04:14:43 PM »
Mike -  on rare occasions, when the light is just so and the crowds have thinned out, when the golf holes lay gently on the land and the turf is firm and self sustaining, when the air is warm and the native species of plants and wildlife are awake with natural colours and song, and when we are healthy enough to carry just what we need and no more in a sunday bag slung over our shoulders, with a simple and enjoyable task set out before us, and we stand on the first tee justified, with clean hands and a pure heart (free from any old grudges or stresses or angers or wants, and with all our debts paid and duties performed), some golf courses can indeed feel like a little slice of heaven on earth, can't they? For a brief moment (they can't do more, nor should we want or expect them to) some golf courses seem to satisfy a longing for that long lost garden home some part of us feels certain is still our *real* home.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 04:32:15 PM by Peter Pallotta »

BCrosby

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 04:34:47 PM »
Well done, Peter.

Yours,

Sweet Anxiety

Matt MacIver

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 05:39:26 PM »
Playing away from or past the hole to get close.

Being pretty sure you have figured out what the architect really wanted you to do.

Acknowledgments to Robert Frost, I love taking the path less travelled and it makes all the difference (to me).

Steve Lang

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 07:34:49 PM »
 8)  WHEN SHADOWS GROW LONG,

THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Rick Emerson

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 09:40:07 PM »
When the natural features of the land are utilized in a way that allows the player to be creative turning a golf shot into an artistic masterpiece. This is especially true when, if you look hard and are inquisitive, you can find an alternate way to play the hole that works better to you than what at first seems obvious.

mike_beene

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 11:45:27 PM »
It has something to do with maps. I am also interested in road maps and even ski area layouts.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back