News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Posting this updated Royal Melbourne profile is a timely reminder of what MacKenzie stood for. Unlike another certain (green and now claustrophobic) Mackenzie course, RM hasn't elected to depart from the playing strategies and natural aesthetics that the Good Doctor espoused even though it regularly hosts the two biggest golf events (Australian Open, President's Cup) in its hemisphere. RM's expansive sandy landscape, unique soil composition and rolling topography are great enough to rival CPC for the best canvas upon which MacKenzie worked. Similar to CPC, it is the dogleg holes that make the course a design marvel. Throw in its feared putting surfaces and you have golfing nirvana.

For those 50 and over who don't live in Australia/NZ, your first exposure, like mine, might likely have been Peter Thomson's eloquent analysis spread over five mesmerizing pages in The World Atlas of Golf circa 1976. When I think of the World Atlas, it’s the Royal Melbourne profile that springs to mind first. Thompson’s flawless writing, the diagrams and photographs were eye-opening, almost chilling in how different the course was to anything else. Doak and Crenshaw hadn't taken over the world then; literally, no one was building the like so Royal Melbourne really stood apart. The neat thing is, it still does. The club gets it, the members get it, and visitors get it too: there is just no place you would clearly rather be.

Here is the link:

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/australia/royalmelbourne1/

Discussing a 90 year old course is tantamount to talking about its evolution, which is particularly fascinating in this case. You have MacKenzie's arrival and imparting the wisdom regarding the design merits of a hole like the 10th. From there, translating MacKenzie's thoughts, ideas and routing into the dirt was left to Russell and Morcom, a task at which they excelled. Then Crockford took over from Morcom, taking the course to an even higher level. The bunkers became more complex, he even altered one of MacKenzie's green placements, and Crockford ultimately gained world-wide fame for cultivating 'frictionless putting surfaces.' The greens have allowed Royal Melbourne to remain relevant at the highest level without narrowing the playing corridors or having to do inane things for length. Today's slower fairways help ensure that the full range of clubs are required on approach.

I am sure some mistakes were made along the way; I just don't know what they were. It's the most consistently intelligent evolution of any course I know. They never gave in to passing fades or other pressures to which most clubs invariably succumb.

Does anyone doubt that if MacKenzie came back, it’s this design that would put the biggest smile on his face?! I don't. His favorite green keeper was there. Plus he would marvel at what Crockford later accomplished. When I lived in Sydney, gathering somewhere for Masters Monday (i.e. Sunday's final round) was a tradition. Everyone babbled on and on about getting to Augusta one day and even then, and George Blunt will back me up,  I stated, Long way to go for worse.

Best,
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 05:50:33 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Jim Nugent

Wow, Ran says 8 RMW holes can reasonably be counted among the world's best 18.  That does not leave a lot of room for the other 30,000 or so courses. 

I wonder if we have other profiles coming soon from down under, e.g. Cape Wickham and Lost Farm. 

Jason Topp

Thanks Ran.  16 was the hole that really surprised me with its quality.  I was not familiar with the holes outside of the main paddock at the time I played and to experience such a great hole without any preconceived expectations elevated it in my memory to compete with many of the others included in your list.

Is my memory a victim of the irrational exuberance of expectations and the passage of ten years' time?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:36:49 AM by Jason Topp »

Tim_Weiman

I was fortunate to play Royal Melbourne when Tom Doak held the Renaissance Cup at Cape Kidnappers and Barnbougle.

It just might be the one I would choose "if I could only play one golf course for the rest of my life".
Tim Weiman

Josh Stevens

At the risk of being a pedant, I might point one teensy error in the second paragraph.  Mackenzie did not visit Perth.  Which is a touch annoying as he would have had to sail past to get to Melbourne, and  it probably had better golfing land than all of the other cities combined.

Matthew Mollica

Josh,

The 17th revision of the MacKenzie timeline identifies a day layover at Fremantle prior to resuming the voyage to Melbourne. Local papers reported that Alister visited one or two local courses and was not impressed.

MM
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 08:29:59 AM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Josh Stevens

OK, i never heard that - it is always taken as a given that Perth is the one city he never visited and the golf suffered as a result.  I suppose there were no money bags about to fund his work

PThomas

thanks Ran...I'll get there sometime soon .....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Rick Emerson

I was pleased to see that you used some photographs from Ben Jarvis in your newly retooled write up of Royal Melbourne West. A few months ago I had the privilege of playing one of the best courses in the world with one of the best hosts. Ben showed me around the grounds and clubhouse one day and then we played a late afternoon round on the West course the next day. His knowledge and love for his club, and architectural knowledge from years of study and travel are only rivaled by his hospitality. I should also add that his game is top notch. Melbourne is one of the greatest golf cities in the world, not only for its plethora of world class courses, but also for people like Ben and so many others that make for special company. I  just wanted to thank him publicly for a great golf blessing.

Kirk Gill

Ran, thank you for the updated profile. I especially love that you name-drop the World Atlas of Golf when discussing this course. I so remember looking at the World Atlas rendering of Royal Melbourne, especially the 10th hole. This place, and Royal Dornoch, became my dream courses because of that book. The glorious photo of the 10th in this profile is a reminder of that. As popular as the "fuzzy lip" has become in bunker construction, the sharp lines of RM provide an equally beautiful contrast.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Mike_Clayton

John Carroll, a sociology professor and  friend of mine once said 'There are two man-made things in Australia of any world-wide architectural significance .. The Sydney Opera House and Royal Melbourne Golf Club'

It's hard to argue with and whilst everybody in Australia recognises the Opera House only golfers understand the significance of Royal Melbourne and even then there are many who suggest it isn't even the best course in the city let alone the best in the country.

John Mayhugh

Thanks for the updated profile.

I completely agree that it is not necessary to talk in terms of the composite course. Not even sure if I would want to play it, as the two courses are more than satisfying on their own.

Tom_Doak

I completely agree that it is not necessary to talk in terms of the composite course. Not even sure if I would want to play it, as the two courses are more than satisfying on their own.

I have never actually played, or walked, the Composite course in sequence.  [Actually, they've changed the sequence so many times from what was shown in The World Atlas of Golf, that I would have trouble remembering it now.]  The members do play events over the Composite course once or twice a year, but I've never been on hand for one ... seems like every time I'm there now, we are tearing something up.

Jim Franklin

Well, that profile solidifies Royal Melbourne as the #1 course on my to play list.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back