News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Extra courses on way to Cabot?
« on: April 06, 2016, 02:19:42 PM »
A friend wants to know about Truro and Antigonish as options on the way.
AKA Mayday

Tyler Kearns

Re: Extra courses on way to Cabot?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 02:45:43 PM »
Mike,

I am assuming your friend is planning on flying into Halifax, however, Air Canada flies into Sydney, Nova Scotia (direct from Toronto) which would make playing Highlands Links as part of the trip much easier.

Sydney --> Highlands Links is 137km
Highlands Links --> Cabot Links is 157km
Cabot Links --> Sydney is 153km

By comparison, the drive from Halifax to Cabot Links alone is 349km.

TK

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 03:05:41 PM »
The Links at Brunello just west of downtown Halifax (25m South of HFX airport) is supposed to be pretty good, and may not be public forever.

Brand new, with rock outcroppings, etc.  #3 Best New in North America from GD last year...

http://www.thelinksatbrunello.com/
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:07:12 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 01:17:58 AM »
I don't know about Truro [assuming you don't mean the one on Cape Cod] or Antigonish.

I did drag Ran out to Old Ashburn when we had some time to kill in Halifax before our flights off island last summer. It's a crazy little par-66 Stanley Thompson design ... cramped, not in the greatest neighborhood, and they don't spend much money on it.  But it was packed with smiling golfers and there are a couple of holes worth seeing.

John Sabino

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 06:55:56 AM »
We played Bell Bay Golf Club on the way to Cabot, a public course, not too testing, beautiful views of Baddeck Bay
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 08:53:48 AM »
I don't know about Truro or Antigonish.

I did drag Ran out to Old Ashburn when we had some time to kill in Halifax before our flights off island last summer. It's a crazy little par-66 Stanley Thompson design ... cramped, not in the greatest neighborhood, and they don't spend much money on it.  But it was packed with smiling golfers and there are a couple of holes worth seeing.

I work at both

Truro - has a few Thompson holes - but I expect it's not what your looking for.

Ashburn (Old) - they are about to invest in it starting next year
Thompson nine holes are worth playing - quirky and occasionally great
The newer nine (its mixed in) is not very good

There other 18 has taken all their resources
It's held Canadian Amateurs - solid, pretty but modern
It's right beside the airport

People rarely do this, but fly into Charlottetown PEI
Golf there and take the ferry over from Woods Island to Antigonish and drive to Cabot
Particularly if you are bringing the family

One last note: Nell's Harbour for Seafood Chowder when driving the Cabot Trail ... drive the Cabot before you add a fourth course - its worth it.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

JBovay

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 06:59:41 PM »
Assuming your friend is also planning to make the trip past Cabot to Highlands Links...

I definitely recommend driving the Cabot Trail. There are several good hiking trails and detours, and you can easily make a whole day out of non-golf activities. Recommended hiking trails in the National Park include Franey, Broad Cove Mountain, Glasgow Lakes, and Skyline [counterclockwise order]. You used to be able to rent kayaks from an oyster farm and paddle out to Cabot's Landing. There appears to be a road going there, too.

Don't play Bell Bay unless you find yourself in Baddeck near sunset and they let you tee off on the back nine. Yes, there are great views and a strong finish. But you didn't come all the way to Cape Breton to play a ~4.

The Lakes, south of Sydney, looks more promising as far as new courses go, but it's not going to be on your way to anything.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 10:15:01 PM »
Mike,

I am assuming your friend is planning on flying into Halifax, however, Air Canada flies into Sydney, Nova Scotia (direct from Toronto) which would make playing Highlands Links as part of the trip much easier.

Sydney --> Highlands Links is 137km
Highlands Links --> Cabot Links is 157km
Cabot Links --> Sydney is 153km

By comparison, the drive from Halifax to Cabot Links alone is 349km.
Westjet also flies from Toronto to Sydney but both AC and Westjet have terrible flight times as both flights get in about 11:30pm and leave at 6:30am. The Sydney to Cabot drive takes at least two hours on minor highways where you can't drive very fast. The drive from Halifax is a little over three hours and most of it is on divided highways. So yes, the drive from Sydney is not quite as far, but the inconveniences make it much less worthwhile. Those inconveniences would include getting up at 3am to drive back to Sydney. With the Toronto to Halifax route you have at least 10 flights daily to choose from. It's worth a bit longer drive.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 10:31:18 PM »
This past summer, I enjoyed the Lakes way better than Bell Bay.

I would say the "highs" of each were similar, a few good holes with some great views.  Bell Bay's other parts weren't bad at all, just boring.  The Lakes other parts range from thrilling to love it or hate it...in 10 plays, I'd take the Lakes 8-2 or 9-1.  And no reason to reinvent the wheel, I still would put Highland and either Cabot course at 9-1 over the Lakes.

Too bad neither of these are really "on the way" to anything...although you could argue Bell Bay is on the way from Sydney to Cabot.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 09:34:14 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

mike_malone

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 06:20:15 PM »
As always I thank you for your input.
AKA Mayday

Ben Malach

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 07:34:09 PM »
I spent a lot of time out there over the past two years. I suggest finding a couple hikes like the sky line trail or adding a round on the Links, Cliffs or at Highland. If you really want to add at a different round check out Le Portage in Cheticamp. [size=2.171em].[/size]
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back