News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

I presume this is true of all of us, but I am a big fan of golf courses where one can tumble off a green and onto the next tee. I think having an extended pause and a walk between one hole and the next dissipates a sense of continuity and intimacy that my favorite course routings seem to have.

That's why it makes no sense to me to place the next tee box 40 yards away when it could be 5 or 10 yards away, especially if that tee box will be on the back side of the previous green. The risk of getting hit by a shot from the group behind doesn't strike me as a big one, since golfers overwhelmingly miss short of pin-high, and it takes incredibly little effort to just be alert to players on the nearby hole while teeing off.

Naturally, there are environmental and terrain-based hindrances to doing this on a lot of sites, but I've seen countless holes where there didn't appear to be an excuse other than the architect not taking the extra time to get players from green to tee in minimal steps.

Among classic courses I've played, Pine Needles does a great job with this (especially since it crosses a couple roads), as does Secession on the modern side.

Having looked on Google Maps, it looks like Old Elm in Chicago would be a contender for the title, as would Friars Head.

What (other) courses out there have the shortest total green-to-tee distance? Bonus points if the 1st tee and 18th green are super-close to the clubhouse patio.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Carl Rogers

Re: Shortest aggregate green-to-tee walks among American courses
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 11:12:50 AM »
A little surprised you did not mention Mid Pines .......  I wonder how much work Kyle Franz did  on this topic at MP.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 11:16:09 AM »
I can't stand having to wait to either putt or tee off while another group plays out. Take a few steps and get out of the way.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 03:34:56 PM »
Interesting thread, Tim. I did a not-so-scientific calculation on my home course (Town & Country in St. Paul) which I always thought had some of the shortest green-to-tee walks around (It's hard not to when the whole 6500 yard course sits on about 95 acres). I came up with total green to tee walks totaling 595 yards. I did the same deal at Old Elm and came up with 525 yards. Both courses have a "long" walk from 9 green to 10 tee (T&C - 158 yards / OEC - 123 yards).
H.P.S.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 03:49:27 PM »
Teeing off behind the green is not a good idea. At least one architect, Macan, explicitly designed for the courageous who would go over the green, and let them have the easiest recovery.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Wuthrich

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 03:56:16 PM »
Wannamoisett in RI would get my vote

Doug Siebert

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 03:59:45 PM »
For what tees? If you limit to it to the 'regular' tees, the ODG golden age courses that haven't been able to (or have somehow resisted) being lengthened over the years are most likely to have those nice short walks.

I thought of T&C when I read this thread, but then remembered a few fairly long walks (at least by comparison to the others) on holes that were obviously using a tee built decades later.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 04:02:28 PM »
Interesting thread, Tim. Old Elm is certainly a contender, as is Friar's Head (the only walks of any length are the "stairway to heaven" from 13 green to 14 tee and the skybridge from 14 green to 15 tee, and the scenery on those walks tends to overcome the distance). Others that come to mind are Myopia, Garden City, Chicago and NGLA on the classic side, and Pac Dunes and Old Mac on the modern.

Old Elm also has a tee shot directly over a green - the tee shot on the par-4 15th plays directly over the par-3 14th, which should always be clear as the same group just vacated it. Here's a look:

Lovely place, Old Elm.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 04:04:23 PM by Jon Cavalier »
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

BHoover

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 04:10:16 PM »
Brookside CC has very short green-to-tee walks. Probably not the shortest by any means, but the shortest of courses that I've played.

K Rafkin

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 04:26:50 PM »
Are we counting courses that have short walks to the 7500 yard tee boxes, and 80+ yards extra to the 6500 tee boxes?

Alex Miller

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 04:32:32 PM »
I agree the shorter the better! I believe my armchair entry from a couple years ago reflected that (though Ron Witten thought 25 yards was often too dangerous  ::) ).

I don't have an answer for you, but probably important to note that not all walks are created equal. Backtracking, which allows the player to drop their bag along a path they'll cross later, is a nice way of lessening the strain on a golfer's round even if the distance shows up as something substantial on google maps.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 04:32:57 PM »
Are we counting courses that have short walks to the 7500 yard tee boxes, and 80+ yards extra to the 6500 tee boxes?

I find 99% of the time it is the other way around. Walking the back tees is almost always a good workout as a result.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

K Rafkin

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 04:47:41 PM »

I find 99% of the time it is the other way around. Walking the back tees is almost always a good workout as a result.

On classic courses 99% sounds about accurate, but thats not the case with many modern courses.  However, many modern courses were built for the golf cart which pretty much exempts them from this discussion.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 05:12:25 PM »

And furthermore, would it be prudent to have a separate category for clubs that were originally designed as, and still are, men-only clubs?
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 05:40:08 PM »
All Donald Ross courses come to mind - Triggs in Providence RI might be a candidate

K Rafkin

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 05:41:01 PM »

And furthermore, would it be prudent to have a separate category for clubs that were originally designed as, and still are, men-only clubs?

Sounds good to me.  As long as we are creating all these sub categories up...How about a shortest aggregate green to tee walks for the sub 5000 yard ladies tees?  Now, thats a list I'm curious to see. A pleasant walk in the 7000 yard ballpark can become a golf cart course golf for the 99% of women that are/should be playing that distance.  I wonder if walkability is important to women golfers?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 05:53:02 PM by K Rafkin »

Adam_Messix

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 07:03:49 PM »
I think Seminole would be on the short list. 

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 07:14:06 PM »
Does the walk include from the house to the 1st tee and from the 18th to the house...so 19 (or 10 or 13 even) walks?  For me it should be and is important.  Just about every course I know there is at least one walk which is awkward or longish.  I would guess that anything under 600 yards (32 yards per walk on average) is pretty damn good and anything under 500 yards is awesome...perhaps too awesome and maybe a bit dangerous. I am not going to measure, but I think Little Aston does very well...maybe 650 yards of dead walk.  My guess is that my home club is about 900 yards of dead walk.  I reckon the Ross course I grew up on is maybe 800 yards...not bad with four road crossings.

Ciao

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 07:18:39 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 08:15:14 PM »
Ballyneal has some really short walks

BCowan

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 08:42:58 PM »
Brookside CC has very short green-to-tee walks. Probably not the shortest by any means, but the shortest of courses that I've played.

I've heard nothing but rave reviews of Brookside I'm glad you mentioned it. 

David Whitmer

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 09:03:54 PM »
Inverness would have been a contender prior to the Fazios' work in the 70s. The original holes were very close to the previous ones. Now you have longish walks from 3 to 4, from 4 to 5, and from 6 to 7. Still an easy walk though.

archie_struthers

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 09:06:33 PM »
 8) 8) 8)

Playing the daily tees , Pine Valley is fabulous in this regard. Only the walk between 11 and 12 is more than a chip shot , and it's seems longer because it's vertical .

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 09:08:39 PM »
Holston Hills has to be up there.  I'll try and remember to take pictures next time...but they near perfect.

Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 09:25:39 PM »
The Bridge has gone from 1120 feet yards to about 520 yards and 4-500 vertical FEET less of green to tee hikes.
to Black member tees-even less to championship tees

and Google earth won't help you(yet) as its not up to date ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 10:21:52 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

James Brown

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 09:42:47 PM »
Penn State White Course is pretty good on this except for one green to tee walk across a road. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 09:44:45 PM by James Brown »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back