News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bret Lawrence

Re: Lawrenceville School Golf Course - Collaboration anyone?
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2016, 08:36:36 PM »

This letter appeared many years later in the The Lawrence-May 21, 1937, but it includes a first hand account with John Reid Jr. and the first golf course at Lawrenceville:

Mark_Fine

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2016, 08:50:49 PM »
Bret,
This is a great find!!

Mike,
It doesn't look like the winner is Mr. Swan. 

ChipRoyce

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2016, 09:02:08 PM »
Holy crap!

I went to Lawrenceville and have played that course no fewer than 200 times.
Sven Nilsen actually knows a fair amount about it.

Best hole by far is the par four 4th.
would love to know more. Feel free to PM me.

Sorry to be late to the game... been a few weeks since I've been here to the treehouse

I too went to L'Ville (L'87) and never, ever played the course (took up the game a year into college)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 09:07:04 PM by ChipRoyce »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2016, 08:26:14 AM »

From the findings so far it seems John Reid's son planted the golf seed at Lawrenceville and things evolved from there. Obviously any kind of "restoration" will likely be quite difficult let alone impractical.  We probably aren't going to stick tin cans in the ground in a open field and call it a Reid, Jr original  :).  But understanding the history is very important and maybe from an educational and marketing standpoint there is something we can do as a tribute while at the same time touching up the Gordon design that exists there now.  We will see.

Question I have for the group - what is the earliest designed course that anyone here knows of that has been "restored" or at least brought back close to its original look and layout? 

Joe Hancock

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2016, 08:35:53 AM »
Mark,

I'm sure it has been addressed on here previously, but your question concerning early course restoration or early look/ layout is interesting.

I think there was an example of a course (in West Virginia, maybe?) that allowed grain to re-occur in the greens as an attempt to get back to the old ways.

I wonder if there is any good reason to restore conditions AND design on any course? Maybe cool as a museum piece or personal project, but I don't know how that product could be marketed in any viable manner. Just listen to the disagreements on this website when it comes to  bunker conditioning or dew removal......
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mark_Fine

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2016, 09:14:09 AM »
Joe,
I agree with you.  I remember a quote (I give Tom Doak credit for this as I think he was the one who said it), "Maybe 10% of all courses deserve to be restored".  The point of this of course is that most don't, but my feeling is that 100% of them at least deserve a close look before you bring in the bulldozers and start ripping the place up.  That is exactly what we are doing at Lawrenceville.  There is so much history there that the kind of investigation that we are doing (that all of you here are assisting with) is well worth the time and effort. 

Probably the best we could end up with as far as "restoration" goes is maybe a museum piece (as I said above, maybe a tribute of some kind), but at a place like Lawrenceville, that might be ok.  In addition, they still have a pretty cool 60+ year old 9-holer that serves a great purpose and could be touched up a bit if the school so chooses. 

It would still be interesting to hear what is the earliest designed course that has been "restored" for whatever purpose?

MCirba

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2016, 10:25:29 AM »
Bret,
This is a great find!!

Mike,
It doesn't look like the winner is Mr. Swan.

Mark,

From the accounts in the 1953 article on the previous page, it's difficult to determine if the rudimentary layout created by Reid Jr. was on the same parcel of land as today's course.   The first account locates it near the "infirmary" wherever that is.

It also seems that there was some lapse between Reid's departure/graduation in 1895 and the formal creation of a golf course by Lawrenceville in early 1897, which is the (original six, later nine) hole course laid out by James Swan who also became the school's golf instructor.

Certainly the Reid story has more romantic charm; I'm just not sure based on what's been discovered so far that the informal games Reid and friends played were played on the land of today's course.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mark_Fine

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2016, 11:08:12 AM »
Mike,
I think you are correct.  Others have said the same to me via email.  We will determine that original location soon. 

There is a connection at Lawrenceville to golf and to Reid (of the Apple Tree Gang) even if it is through his son which makes things interesting. 

Appreciate all your help and insight.  Any thoughts on the earliest restorations out there?

MCirba

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2016, 02:30:16 PM »
April 9th, 1925   (may help determine timeframe for "Mr. Dunn"'s tenure as instructor)

Death of James B. Swan

Mr. James B. Swan died in New York on March 19th. Mr. Swan was the first golf instructor to come to Lawrenceville, and while here laid out the golf course. Besides being golf instructor he was also the school proctor. He came to Lawrenceville in 1896 and left in June, 1898.

After leaving Lawrenceville, Mr. Swan went to Princeton where he remodeled the course and instructed golf. He was one of the first Scotchmen to come to this country to introduce golf. He should be respected by all golfers as one of the fathers of the sport in this country. Mr. Swan was a well educated gentleman and his death is deeply regretted.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2016, 03:07:31 PM »
Mark:

The "oldest" restoration I know of is Wawashkamo GC on Mackinac Island, restored to its 1898 Alex Smith design by the former greenkeeper, Larry Grow.  I guess the nine hole Oakhurst course near The Greenbrier would be even older, but I'm not sure whether Mr Cupp's work there was faithful to the original routing or just to the period.

We had a chance to restore Onwentsia but passed on that as none of the members were too keen on going back to the 1900 US Open layout with its square greens and 5400 yards.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2016, 03:25:45 PM »
Thanks Tom.  That is interesting about Wawashkamo GC.  Have you ever seen what Larry did there?  Has anyone here seen it? 

As I said above, I don't think there is going to be any reason or interest to restore tin cans in holes in an open field at Lawrenceville.  However, we will figure out the evolution of the design and then help recommend the right/best decisions for the school. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2016, 06:24:14 PM »
Thanks Tom.  That is interesting about Wawashkamo GC.  Have you ever seen what Larry did there? 

Yes, I got the personal tour many years ago, that's why I could vouch for it.  Unfortunately, Larry left there +/- ten years ago, and I don't have any idea whether they have continued to maintain the course as faithfully as he had it.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2016, 06:51:02 PM »
Tom,
Google Earth views of Wawashkamo GC look interesting.  I don't know if we will be able to do what they have done there (the solar farm at Lawrenceville is looking like the problem), but we will see how things progress and learn more about the true goals/objectives of the school for the golf course.

Thanks,
Mark

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2016, 08:33:43 PM »
I live five minutes north on route 206 in Princeton.

The Historic aerials from 1931 and 1940 show the majority of the routing on what is today farmland including plots for town residents to cultivate vegetable gardens.

I am friends with two members of the family who have been one of the largest landowners in the town of Lawrenceville for generations including Cherry Grove Farm just two properties north of where the old routing was.  I will wander over and see what they remember of the old golf course.

James Swann is a likely suspect for the old routing. I have an article from the Daily Princetonian dated May 21st, 1897 which mentions that Swann, a professional player of excellent record, was offering lessons at the Princeton Golf Club though situated in Lawrenceville. (Hat tip either to Mike Cirba or Joe Bausch) He went on to become the first golf Professional at the Princeton Golf Club and fine tuned the new course there originally staked out by Willy Dunn, Jr. which opened in 1901.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 08:39:39 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2016, 10:19:48 PM »
Malcolm,
I just emailed you.  Love to hear what you can learn from your friends who owned that property.
Thanks so much for chiming in.  This has become quite the collaboration.  Lots of really interesting and helpful information coming out.  You ALL will be recognized for your help. 
Mark

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2016, 10:24:52 PM »
Mark,

From the accounts in the 1953 article on the previous page, it's difficult to determine if the rudimentary layout created by Reid Jr. was on the same parcel of land as today's course.   The first account locates it near the "infirmary" wherever that is.

It also seems that there was some lapse between Reid's departure/graduation in 1895 and the formal creation of a golf course by Lawrenceville in early 1897, which is the (original six, later nine) hole course laid out by James Swan who also became the school's golf instructor.

Certainly the Reid story has more romantic charm; I'm just not sure based on what's been discovered so far that the informal games Reid and friends played were played on the land of today's course.

Mike,

I agree that the James Swan course was the first permanent golf course on the Lawrenceville property. 

John's brother Archie Reid also attended Lawrenceville.  He was listed in the class of 1901. If he attended for four years he would have started sometime around 1897, which might explain the need for golf again?

There seems to be some kind of connection between the timing of golf at Lawrenceville and the Reid boys from St. Andrews. 

John Reid Jr. may have failed in his first attempt at Lawrenceville, but he was successful his freshman year at Yale.
As a freshman he was a prominent figure in starting the Yale Golf Club.  Later that year he was a delegate for Yale to create an intercollegiate golf association and championship.  In 1899, as a senior, he and W.B. Smith represented New Haven Golf Club to help create the Connecticut State Golf Association.

Here is a mention of the Princeton course from 1899:

Bret
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:37:15 PM by Bret Lawrence »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2016, 07:56:32 AM »
Coukd Swan have used and/or added to/enhanced any of the early Reid holes (as rudimentary as they likely were)?   Still searching to see if there is a connection.  Also trying to find the exact location of the infirmary that Mike talked about to see where everything was laid out. 

MCirba

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2016, 04:07:50 PM »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the email; thought it would be more advantageous to the discussion to reply here.

Chronology as best as I can account;

1895 - John Reid Jr. lays out a few holes near a baseball batting cage (near the Infirmary) in a field near willows.  The infirmary originally was in a house that may still exist to the right of today's 3rd hole as was first used for that purposed around 1910.   In 1929, however, a new infirmary was built that is today "McPherson House" for girls' housing, almost due south from today's golf course and very close to an area known as "Green Field".  It was used as an infirmary until 1977.   The article mentioning the infirmary was from 1953 so which one he was referring to is still to be determined.

1896 - James Swan is brought on as golf instructor and a January 1897 article mentions that enough land has been purchased for a full golf course according to "Dr. Mackenzie" who seemed to be the driving force.   It is reported that Swan laid out a six hole course that could easily be expanded to nine holes, which happened shortly after.

1901 - According to an account of John Stout, the course was expanded around the turn of last century by the next pro, Seymour Dunn.   One report does mention that a "Mr. Dunn" was the golf instructor at that time.   Another 1901 report mentions that plans to create a new, much longer nine hole addition to the first nine were under consideration (but never implemented).

1906 - New pro and instructor James Norton makes extensive changes and his work creates a course of about 3000 yards.

Summer 1925 - Lower School Bldg. completion requires the 9th hole to be altered.   In the same year it was determined to move the tennis courts to the 1st and 9th fairway.   Two new holes had to be constructed to the East and South of the Rufus Dawes House.

Oct 1925 - A report that the two holes have been added includes the info that the old remaining holes were "divided up", leaving a new "7 hole course".   It is most likely that John Stout was responsible for those changes.

June 1930 - The second hole becomes the 1st to locate the 1st tee closer to locker rooms.

1934 - John Stout develops and implements a much revised course of nine holes by moving further east towards the Progress Golf Club.   His course is also about 3000 yards.

1947 - The creation of a Central Heating Plant on the 8th fairway requires the elimination of two holes, now making Stout's course again a 7-hole affair.

1953 - William Gordon plans a nine hole course, keeping holes 1-3, and hole 7 of Stout's course in the plan.   

I'm not 100% certain but it does seem likely that the 1st 3 holes are probably original to Swan's course.   So many moves and changes over time made my head spin.   ;)

Hope this helps!

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2016, 05:17:21 PM »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the email; thought it would be more advantageous to the discussion to reply here.

Chronology as best as I can account;

1895 - John Reid Jr. lays out a few holes near a baseball batting cage (near the Infirmary) in a field near willows.  The infirmary originally was in a house that may still exist to the right of today's 3rd hole as was first used for that purposed around 1910.   In 1929, however, a new infirmary was built that is today "McPherson House" for girls' housing, almost due south from today's golf course and very close to an area known as "Green Field".  It was used as an infirmary until 1977.   The article mentioning the infirmary was from 1953 so which one he was referring to is still to be determined.

1896 - James Swan is brought on as golf instructor and a January 1897 article mentions that enough land has been purchased for a full golf course according to "Dr. Mackenzie" who seemed to be the driving force.   It is reported that Swan laid out a six hole course that could easily be expanded to nine holes, which happened shortly after.

1901 - According to an account of John Stout, the course was expanded around the turn of last century by the next pro, Seymour Dunn.   One report does mention that a "Mr. Dunn" was the golf instructor at that time.   Another 1901 report mentions that plans to create a new, much longer nine hole addition to the first nine were under consideration (but never implemented).

1906 - New pro and instructor James Norton makes extensive changes and his work creates a course of about 3000 yards.

Summer 1925 - Lower School Bldg. completion requires the 9th hole to be altered.   In the same year it was determined to move the tennis courts to the 1st and 9th fairway.   Two new holes had to be constructed to the East and South of the Rufus Dawes House.

Oct 1925 - A report that the two holes have been added includes the info that the old remaining holes were "divided up", leaving a new "7 hole course".   It is most likely that John Stout was responsible for those changes.

June 1930 - The second hole becomes the 1st to locate the 1st tee closer to locker rooms.

1934 - John Stout develops and implements a much revised course of nine holes by moving further east towards the Progress Golf Club.   His course is also about 3000 yards.

1947 - The creation of a Central Heating Plant on the 8th fairway requires the elimination of two holes, now making Stout's course again a 7-hole affair.

1953 - William Gordon plans a nine hole course, keeping holes 1-3, and hole 7 of Stout's course in the plan.   

I'm not 100% certain but it does seem likely that the 1st 3 holes are probably original to Swan's course.   So many moves and changes over time made my head spin.   ;)

Hope this helps!

I attended the school from 1976 to 1980 and some of your info does not quite correspond to what is there, but I do not see it as that relevant. The infirmary was there when I got there and it borders the (current) 9th fairway. It has now expanded substantially.

This course needs a renovation, not a restoration.

MCirba

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2016, 06:00:22 PM »
Ian,

My understanding is the infirmary moved to its current location around 1977 from the McPherson House, which was built for the purpose around 1929. Prior to then the Infirmary was in a farmhouse on the golf course proper well away from the other buildings in the school. From an aerial view, it looks as though that building may still exist today to the right side of the third hole.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2016, 06:23:39 PM »
Mike:

I'd add in the 1900 Harper's Report.  As I mentioned to Mark, the information published in Harper's came from the clubs themselves (they submitted a form), so someone at Lawrenceville must have been under the impression that Seymour Dunn had done something.

I think you're also making a bit of a leap to assume that the 6 holes discussed in the Jan. 1897 article had been laid out by Swan, or that he was even hired at some point in 1896.  Not saying either of those aren't the case, just that I don't think the language in that article confirms either point.

Sven

Sven

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mark_Fine

« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2016, 06:42:27 PM »
Mike,Ian,Sven,
More great analysis and info.  Thank you!

Mike,
Your summary is excellent but I think there is still more fact checking that needs to be done.  I expect to be back at Lawrenceville as early as next week (heading to another project in the AM tomorrow and will have limited time to chime in here till Monday night).  There is some information that we think is in the archives that could shed more light. 

Ian,
I think you are correct about "renovation" vs "restoration" but there still might be options to do something in addition.  Still to early in the process to say. 

Sven,
I am hoping to validate some of what you questioned in Mike's proposed chronology. 

Thanks once again to all! 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:45:06 PM by Mark_Fine »

MCirba

« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2016, 07:27:39 PM »
Sven,

Thanks for providing that.  It makes me wonder if we don't have a situation where Swan may have been responsible to lay out Dunn's layout on the ground? 

I'll see if I can help connect some other dots when I have the chance later this week.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2016, 07:53:04 PM »
I think we need multiple references to help verify.  This is very typical for these early courses - many making claim to the same design. 

I am also heading to The Golf House - the rare books section could have some good information.  I have found it very useful in the past. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 07:56:01 PM by Mark_Fine »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2016, 08:17:31 PM »
I think we need multiple references to help verify.  This is very typical for these early courses - many making claim to the same design.

Mark:

I don't think it happened as much as you think.  There are a couple of prime examples (mostly involving Willie Dunn), but for the most part guys weren't claiming work done by others.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back