News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Golf in New York....Please advise
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2016, 10:14:02 AM »
The idea that some are so distraught over Pat's sign off(now deleted) is funny. Mark Woodger teed it up for Pat with a scathing rebuke and anybody that didn't see something coming along these lines isn't paying attention. Are most of the Euro's who are writhing with indignation upset that Pat used vulgarity because it is an affront to their values or more because he took a shot at one of their own i.e. Sam Krume? GMAFB(also available for reference in the Urban Dictionary). ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:20:38 AM by Tim Martin »

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2016, 11:14:52 AM »
It only bothers me, as a teacher, because Mr. Mucci certainly does have an excellent command of the English language and could have written a much better reply with ease. His retort literally made me laugh out loud, which is a great way to start off the day!

PS: Dear Pat, if you are still here, can you finagle me a tee time (for 4) (on a Saturday morning) at NGLA, or Shinnecock? ;D
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2016, 11:59:27 AM »
Does anyone go through the trouble of hauling their clubs across an ocean to play one day of a five day trip at a course they have never heard of in marginal weather? This was clearly an attempt to find a course worth the trouble, not that there is anything wrong with that. Once you get past clicking on GolfNow it only leaves the privates.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2016, 12:22:29 PM »
Does anyone go through the trouble of hauling their clubs across an ocean to play one day of a five day trip at a course they have never heard of in marginal weather? This was clearly an attempt to find a course worth the trouble, not that there is anything wrong with that. Once you get past clicking on GolfNow it only leaves the privates.

Rental clubs John, rental clubs.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2016, 12:41:41 PM »
Rentals possible, it took all of 5 seconds to see Bethpage has clubs available for $40. I couldn't find what Shinny charges with a simple search. I'd need to start a new thread for that.

Sam Krume

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2016, 03:18:56 PM »
Many thanks for all the responses. In no way was this a solicitation or a finagle to get an invitation to play. I wouldn't dream of being so vulgar. For those that don't know me, and there are a many on here, I would lug my clubs across the ocean even if I was there for 2 days let alone 5. It was a genuine question to get some feedback from GCA'ers over the pond. Yes I looked on the tinternet, did my research but felt it would be better to hear it from the horses mouth, as they say.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2016, 07:11:50 PM »
Brits and Aussies have no qualms about asking to come and play your course, we expect it when people ask us.  American to American baffles me why it's considered to be bad form to ask someone you know to come and play their club.

I appreciate Ran wants more GCA threads but you can only discuss some courses we've never seen so much. I used to check out GCA daily, now it's probably once a fortnight.....
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:22:33 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Kalen Braley

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2016, 08:10:53 PM »
Brits and Aussies have no qualms about asking to come and play your course, we expect it when people ask us.  American to American baffles me why it's considered to be bad form to ask someone you know to come and play their club.

I appreciate Ran wants more GCA threads but you can only discuss some courses we've never seen so much. I used to check out GCA daily, now it's probably once a fortnight.....

Mark,

A lot of baffling things are happening in America right now!!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 08:17:42 PM by Kalen Braley »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2016, 08:16:40 PM »
At least the practice of fake outrage isn't only thriving in America.

Sean_A

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2016, 06:11:41 AM »
The idea that some are so distraught over Pat's sign off(now deleted) is funny. Mark Woodger teed it up for Pat with a scathing rebuke and anybody that didn't see something coming along these lines isn't paying attention. Are most of the Euro's who are writhing with indignation upset that Pat used vulgarity because it is an affront to their values or more because he took a shot at one of their own i.e. Sam Krume? GMAFB(also available for reference in the Urban Dictionary). ;)

Nah, vulgarity isn't the issue.  Mucci's constant fake enragement is simply well past its sell by date.  He needs a new way of communicating as baiting was mildy funny 10 years ago...now its a case of been there done that...100x over.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2016, 10:20:33 AM »
Why doesn't the "ignore" feature work anymore? The two knuckleheads I blocked are showing up again.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2016, 10:52:59 AM »
Why doesn't the "ignore" feature work anymore? The two knuckleheads I blocked are showing up again.

Mike,
Assuming I am not one of the knuckleheads you block, the feature has not worked for some time now. Not sure if there is a fix.

Tim Martin

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2016, 11:07:40 AM »

Mike,
Assuming I am not one of the knuckleheads you block, the feature has not worked for some time now. Not sure if there is a fix.

Thanks Keith. Very helpful.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2016, 11:20:20 AM »
The blocking feature does prevent you from receiving PM's from whomever you choose. A great option if you're not interested in discount football tickets.

Brad Sheridan

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2016, 05:25:13 PM »
Sterling Farms is one of the closer public tracks north of the city. As an aside I remember Tom Doak posting that it was the course he grew up on. He went on to say it did not offer much in the way of GCA. I played it at the end of last season and enjoyed it quite a bit. Nothing spectacular but I would rate it at a 5-6. More importantly it can be reached via Metro North and a short cab ride. Even more importantly I received an e-mail saying it will be open with all tees and greens on FEBRUARY 20th. It is the best public option north of the city that I have played except for Centennial which is further and not reachable without a car. Hope this helps.

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2016, 01:39:28 PM »
As others have said, your options will be limited at that time of year and course conditions will be less than ideal.  Tallgrass is open year round and will be less than a 2 hour drive from midtown.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2016, 02:27:19 PM »
As others have said, your options will be limited at that time of year and course conditions will be less than ideal.  Tallgrass is open year round and will be less than a 2 hour drive from midtown.

And Tallgrass ain't totally dead yet: http://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2016/01/supporters-opponents-of-tallgrass-solar-development-state-their-case-to-brookhaven-planning-board.html

"The Planning Board will keep the record open for written comments for 10 days, with the next discussion of the proposal scheduled for its meeting on Monday, February 8.  [UPDATE: The February 8 meeting was canceled due to snow; all issues on the agenda will be addressed at the monthly Planning Board meeting on March 7.]"
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Sam Krume

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2016, 03:50:49 AM »
Many thanks for all your suggestions in which courses to head for. Due to all the comments regarding closures and the weather, I have now decided to push back the trip and will be heading state side at the end of April, which will hopefully give me further options. Once again many thanks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back