News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Farrow

The 4th at Royal St. George
« on: January 21, 2016, 02:40:45 PM »
Not sure if this has been discussed, but wondering what everyone thinks about the move to eliminate the railroad ties on the 4th hole? I liked the quirk and charm of the ties but have no idea if there were a any underlying maint. or liability issues. Any historical photos out there to compare with?

More photos/info can be found the course manager's (Paul Larsen)  Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/PaulLarsen14

Tony_Muldoon

Re: The 4th at Royal St. George
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 04:32:31 PM »
They had collapsed.
Photo's courtesy of an ex member of this site :)

More distinctive in the past.
Hopefully in 50 years Ran will have fixed the search engine on this site and someone will find this post and my prediction that the sand area will shrink over time as it has on all other natural blowout features.

Then at last I will be recognised as a seer genius. (Edit: the kind that can't post pictures!)
 [/img]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 04:34:24 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 09:16:11 PM »

I will miss the railroad ties. Their presence certainly added to the excitement of the tee shot, and even a bit of drama to the entire opening sequence of the course in anticipation of making it to the 4th tee. I loved their intimidating nature, and their iconic stature as one of the infamous hazards in golf.

[/size]Next time I play I'm not sure I will be as inspired to throw down an extra ball just for fun to see if I could hit it out. The railroad ties really added to the fun factor. [size=78%]

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 10:33:17 PM »
One of the most intimidating tee shots ever seen.  My big objection was the thick rough over the huge bunker, between the top and the fairway.   I think that you should be rewarded for taking on a carry like that but I never found my ball.  🙄

Matthew Rose

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 01:17:07 AM »
The original World Atlas of Golf has photos of the hole without them.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 05:49:21 AM »
A tragedy, if purely from a visual standpoint. 

I am a half decent player and of the dozen rounds I have had there, the bunker was never in play for me, but it was still such a fearsome bugger to look at and so always imparted a wee thrill to get over it, even if I actually cleared it by miles

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 06:36:12 PM »
A tragedy, if purely from a visual standpoint. 

I am a half decent player and of the dozen rounds I have had there, the bunker was never in play for me, but it was still such a fearsome bugger to look at and so always imparted a wee thrill to get over it, even if I actually cleared it by miles

Twenty  years ago, I played this with my best friend. He thought he could hit a five wood out of the bunker. Hit the sleepers and almost decapited me. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Josh Stevens

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »
A 5 wood?  hell I couldn't hit a shovel out of it

I think however it shows that there is a place for hazards that just look amazing and intimidating, even if they don't impinge on play too much

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back