News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

Re: No tee pegs equals shorter courses
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 08:33:29 AM »
I think part of playing golf is the tee shot and to x% that is the part of golf they like. I don't see it will recruit more players, I do see x% leaving because it substantially alters the game.

We all know the way make shorter courses play longer, just needs a 90% ball.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2016, 09:05:56 AM »

+1 and maybe a shorter ball just for the professional tournaments and major amateur tournaments.

Jon

Niall C

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2016, 09:19:41 AM »
Adrian

If a 90% ball was adopted by the ruling bodies, how many of your X% would leave because they were frustrated that they couldn't hit the ball as far ? and that they were hitting long irons rather than mid irons for there approaches ? or that they couldn't get up in two where previously they could ?

Niall

jeffwarne

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2016, 09:22:01 AM »
Like Pat said, I use the off the deck driver for a safety shot, especially if a fade is called for, but when I tee it super low or off the deck, I still at least fluff up the lie.
I'm sometimes embarrassed to hit the shot as I generally take a carving left divot-an eyesore on the teeing area.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2016, 09:56:32 AM »
I used to play with a guy who teed the ball up on a pencil, must have 3" high. The pencil must have had a tiny hollow at the top so the ball wouldn't fall off. This was back in the days of persimmon drivers as well, and jeez, could the guy strike it well.
Atb

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 10:44:05 AM »
Adrian

If a 90% ball was adopted by the ruling bodies, how many of your X% would leave because they were frustrated that they couldn't hit the ball as far ? and that they were hitting long irons rather than mid irons for there approaches ? or that they couldn't get up in two where previously they could ?

Niall
I don't think anyone would since the 90% ball only comes into affect at a certain level or handicap/competition/professional standard. Maybe when you get to category 1 Amateur or maybe just for the pro's. I think the ball going further is a good thing for most people.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

Niall C

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 10:47:56 AM »
Adrian

So golfers would effectively be using two standards of ball ? Don't you think that would cause more problems than it solves ?

Niall

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 11:36:25 AM »
Seeing all these opposing posts is proof positive once again that the game is in desperate need of bifurcated rules...

Just about every other sport has these, I don't know why golf is so resistant to it!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 11:47:13 AM »
Two standards of ball -

Don't we kind of currently have that anyway? Lower spec balls that roll a lot and don't like to stop when they land on firm greens and high spec balls which fly higher and stop quicker? Different core and surlyn and urethene covers and all that.......and different price points too.

Atb

Mark Pearce

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 12:14:22 PM »
Two standards of ball -

Don't we kind of currently have that anyway? Lower spec balls that roll a lot and don't like to stop when they land on firm greens and high spec balls which fly higher and stop quicker? Different core and surlyn and urethene covers and all that.......and different price points too.

Atb
Yes, but we get to choose which to play with and the pros can play with any ball we can, which is not what is being suggested here.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2016, 12:58:41 PM »
From about 1974 to 1980 in the UK if you were a pro you had to use a 1.68 ball, I am not 100% sure but maybe also in the bigger amateur events the 1.68 over the 1.62 went 10% less.

I am thinking that if the pro's say used the 90% ball it would mean the courses could be back to 7000 as a max, these courses would be enjoyable at 6300 from the regular tees and with the 100% a lot of more of the architecture gets retained and usuable for both.

I dont see a blanket 90% ball being a solution.

Bill Crane

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2016, 01:22:07 PM »

+1 and maybe a shorter ball just for the professional tournaments and major amateur tournaments.

Jon
I agree that this does not have to be all or nothing.  To have more diversity in golf, why couldn't the PGA Tour have specific tournaments that featured no tees and no drivers, only 3 woods under a certain size - similar to Phil Mickleson's driving 3 wood - hit off the deck ?

Right now some tournaments are played as Stableford, some are Match Play, how about the no Driver format.  For diversity this would add some interest especially for some non major type sites by taking some distance out of the equation and adding another shotmaking feature.   It may make it easier and more relevant for Pros to go back to some of the shorter older layouts that have character without lengthening those courses.

How about the Rhode Island Off the Deck championship at Wanamoisett.  The Cape Cod 3 Wood Open at Eastward Ho!     Etc.

Bill
s k a Wm Flynnfan

Pat Burke

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2016, 12:46:15 AM »
I got it!!

Ball size has to be proportional to clubhead size!!

Sean_A

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2016, 04:39:07 AM »
Don't think much of the no tee peg idea.  For me, the obvious way forward is bifurcation.  The pro tours, amateur events counting for world ranking points and at least USA college golf use the short ball.  Everybody else use any ball they like unless a club or whoever mandates some events will be the short ball.  However, if we have birfurcation, I would push for more than 10% reduction...probably more like 20%.  This would make 260 a big carry which is about right for getting players to think about shaping shots around hazards rather than trying to carry all hazards.  That said, I get the impression the USGA & R&A are entrenched against bifurcation of the ball.  Maybe Augusta will have to start the ball rolling...it would save them tons of Tiger proofing money  ;D

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Joe Hancock

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2016, 08:33:48 AM »
Maybe Augusta will have to start the ball rolling...it would save them tons of Tiger proofing money  ;D

Just think of all the implications of ANGC having any incentive to save money! But they don't.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back