News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Marzec

Hawthorne Valley - Another Ohio Ross course in peril
« on: January 07, 2016, 10:44:38 AM »
Yet another Donald Ross design in Ohio is at risk of disappearing, according to the local business paper.

I admit to having not played Hawthorne Valley. Chris Sturges offered to fully introduce me to hickory golf there this past summer, but I failed to follow through. This news certainly ramps up the urgency to give both a try!

I know Chris and some other local GCAers are familiar with the course, so perhaps they can share thoughts on its attributes.

I hope this article link works. Sometimes their content is behind a pay wall.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20160103/NEWS/151239966/solon-golf-club-aims-to-stay-the-course
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. And furthermore, always carry a small snake." - W.C. Fields

BHoover

Re: Hawthorne Valley - Another Ohio Ross course in peril
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 10:59:11 AM »
I read this early this week too. It's unfortunate but something that's been discussed often on this site. I do believe the model is going to need to change for many clubs to survive in the long run, but unfortunately many probably will fail to adapt.

That aside, I have not played Hawthorne Valley. Does anyone know about the history of the course and the extent to which Ross was involved?

Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 01:49:43 PM »
Sad to hear, but not unexpected. Their membership offering is very reasonable compared to the other private clubs in the area. The problem Hawthorne Valley is up against is that there are so many private clubs on the east side of Cleveland fighting for a limited number of individuals in the area who are interested in joining a private club. I am a member of a club on the east side (at least for a few more weeks until my family and I move to the Columbus area). Over the summer, our membership director asked me to play with a couple of individuals who were prospective members. In speaking with them, I was surprised to learn some of the deals that were being offered by other clubs in the area - including several of the older, established clubs.

I played Hawthorne Valley a few times when it initially went semi-private a few years ago. It has many pretty good holes and a nice set of Ross greens. I really enjoy the par 5 6th hole and the final 4 holes (all par 4s) are a pretty stern test coming into the clubhouse. The course is on a nice piece of property with some decent elevation changes throughout. My main complaint is that it is completely overgrown with trees to the point where many of the corridors feel very tight - could definitely benefit from significant tree clearing (although the club appears to have much bigger issues with just keeping the course open). The other problem that exists with Hawthorne Valley is the pace of play. Those times that I was out there all resulted in a 5 hour round - I guess that is often the problem when clubs open up their doors for the public to play.

I think it is still a very tough market for second and third tier private clubs in this area of Ohio. The Cleveland Metroparks system offers a solid set of courses (including courses designed by Donald Ross and Stanley Thompson) at a reasonable price for public golfers and if the public golfer wants to play a bit more upscale course, Fowlers Mill is nearby. If someone wants to join a club, there are many options to choose from that do not allow public access.

I hope that Hawthorne Valley reaches its membership goal because it would be a shame to lose another Ross course (Acacia closed only a few years ago) in the area.

Joe Zucker

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 02:30:28 PM »
I second Mark's comments on the course.  When I was living in Cleveland, Hawthorne Valley was a fun course to play after it opened up to the public.  It is definitely overgrown at parts, especially on a few corridors that lead into the greens (#3 and #9 in particular).  Most of it feels very much like a Ross course to me, but as Mark mentioned, it is not significantly better than the Metroparks courses of Manikiki and Sleepy Hollow.

There are a few tee shots are awkward, like #2 and #11, both of which are very sharp doglegs.  I have no idea if these holes were ever altered in any way, but they felt extremely awkward and didn't fit the character of the rest of the course in my opinion.

The last 4 holes on the course are great and make the finish very tough.  Sixteen is very long par 4 that has a fairway sloping right to left all the way to the green.  The approach shot is long and slightly downhill making a running shot a good strategy, unfortunately I can't ever remember playing the course when it wasn't a little soggy.

Michael George

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 09:30:35 AM »
Not surprising.  It has been in financial peril for some time.

It is a nice course, but not a great Ross design.  I believe it is the 3rd Ross course to close in Cleveland in the last 5 years, with Acacia and Oakwood preceding it. 

Still, the best 3 Ross courses in northeast Ohio remain, Brookside CC in North Canton, Congress Lake in South Akron and Shaker Heights CC in East Cleveland.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 12:26:25 PM »
The posters before me have got it nailed pretty well (on all accounts).  For the purists, tree removal would be a first priority and pace of play has and will continue to be an issue (routing and carts contribute to that issue).

Would be sad to lose a third Ross in the area...but there are plenty of other places to choose from.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 09:08:40 PM »
Tried to play HVCC today….was told no because "greens were frozen". 

Thus my current thread!!!

They are looking for 200+ new members before the end of January.  Not going to happen.

Clubhouse and grounds look very unkept.  The private club market in the Cleveland area is SUPER competitive.

I wonder if the owner would be better off going in the opposite direction.  Go ultra private.

Which is easier in todays market….

A. Find 300+ families to join at a low dollar amount and try to provide them with a "family club" experience (note….at the dues amount listed on website, they would still operate in the red).

B. Find 100 individuals that want a premium, exclusive golf only experience. 
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 02:47:10 PM »
I guess I should have played this last summer when I was up in Cleveland. Hopefully it sticks around a bit longer.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 02:23:18 PM »
Looks like another Ross course is kaput. They couldn't even sell 300 memberships for $2500 a year (with cart) plus locker room.....

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20160228/NEWS/160229856/90-year-old-solon-golf-club-closes
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 03:25:11 PM »
I have had an association with golf in Cleveland for about 35 years and never once had anyone even mention Hawthrone Valley.

Leaving the east side private clubs aside, as others have mentioned, Manikiki and Sleepy Hollow are pretty damn good munis. Then, too, Northeast Ohio is loaded with decent "mom and pops" that can be played for $30 or less.

I miss the Charlie Sifford days at Sleepy Hollow.
Tim Weiman

Erik Mosley

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 02:30:33 PM »
I wonder if the Metroparks would ever consider taking over the course (and not shutting it down like Acacia).  While they could definitely use the removal of several hundred trees, I always thought the course itself was in excellent shape.  Plus, 16 may have been one of my favorite holes in the area - with the elevation changes and the wide playing corridor, I can't think of any public course in Cleveland that has a hole anything close to that (reminds me of the feel of some of the excellent holes at TCC in Pepper Pike). 

Higher end public/semi-private courses have taken a beating in the Cleveland area (Stonewater - went private, Blue Heron, Aurora, Hawthorne - closed) and as a public golfer, I'm not looking forward to Sleepy, Manakiki, and Pine Hills getting even busier.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 04:54:06 PM »
I wonder if the Metroparks would ever consider taking over the course (and not shutting it down like Acacia).  While they could definitely use the removal of several hundred trees, I always thought the course itself was in excellent shape.  Plus, 16 may have been one of my favorite holes in the area - with the elevation changes and the wide playing corridor, I can't think of any public course in Cleveland that has a hole anything close to that (reminds me of the feel of some of the excellent holes at TCC in Pepper Pike). 

Higher end public/semi-private courses have taken a beating in the Cleveland area (Stonewater - went private, Blue Heron, Aurora, Hawthorne - closed) and as a public golfer, I'm not looking forward to Sleepy, Manakiki, and Pine Hills getting even busier.

Access to Sleepy, Manikiki and even Pine Hills have been an issue for a long time, though not like, say, Bethpage Black.

Somehow I doubt the Metroparks have the money to buy another golf course.
Tim Weiman

Erik Mosley

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 09:43:54 AM »
Good news on Hawthorne Valley - another operator has come in and reopened the course.  Looks like it's saved for the next 3 years at least.  Now, I wonder if a division of Davey Tree would be interested in "relocating" about 300 trees...

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20160501/NEWS/160429720/with-davey-golf-as-the-operator-hawthorne-valley-is-back-in-business

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 01:36:49 PM »
Good news indeed!  A group of us are planning on getting out there this season...have not played since summer of 2010, so looking forward to seeing it again.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back