News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mooshie

Adena Golf & CC, A Platinum Class Facility
« on: September 21, 2015, 03:25:30 PM »
7 years in the development and a brainchild of Canadian developer Frank Stronach, Adena Golf CC, located just north of Ocala, should easily rival the heralded Streamsong golf courses.
Opening recently in July, the initial thrust to build a world class golf course began back in 2008 and was carefully crafted yard by yard by Stronach, himself, who is neither a golf course architect nor a landscape designer. No, there is no pedigree of a well-known architect. Rather, Stronach is a man of vision, of purpose, and has the financial wherewithal to see his concepts evolve.
Frank Stronach, amassed his fortune in auto parts manufacturing, founding Canadian giant Magna International, a $35 billion automotive parts supplier. Owner of several racetracks, including Santa Anita in California and Gulfstream Park in Florida, Stronach is a successful thoroughbred horse breeder with farms located in Central Florida and throughout the USA.
Investing somewhere north of $50 million, I am told Stronach envisions his venture will attract professional golf’s elite and possibly host a PGA event. The course has been designed around several abandoned lime rock and spring fed quarries on about 420 acres with elevation changes approaching some 90 feet. The landscaped views are dramatic and ever changing as you play your way throughout the course. Dramatic waterfalls provide a powerful setting looking back at the clubhouse. The quarry lakes are a vivid blue green and accommodate a variety of birds.
The key to playing the course is to choose the right tees. If your handicap is 12+, I’d recommend playing 5,885 yards from the white tees. It’ll still be a very good test of golf but you’ll have an opportunity to score well.Players that can card in the mid to low 80s should be able to negotiate the blue tees at 6,384 yard but not without some tense moments. Finally, you better be a strong single digit handicap if you want to score well from the black tees  rating  74.2 with a 140 slope. Don’t even think about playing from the 7,086 yard stallion tees unless you’re a member of the PGA.
Marion County is well known for its majestic, moss-draped live oaks and, in tune, Adena frames the first couple of fairways on the front nine with a number of these picturesque granddaddy trees. Then you play your way into and around the quarry holes showcased on 10 of the remaining 16 holes. Arriving at the par three 8th tee box, you’ll want to grab your camera. Way down below, some 200+ yards away, over a colorful quarry lake and through the swirling wind, you’re hitting to a narrow and well contoured green. Bogey may well be the new par on this hole.
While the front nine tends to lure you into a state of tranquility, the back nine will test your skills, your patience, and your endurance. Forced carries, thought-provoking fairway shots, and challenging greens complexes will test your every sense of what it takes to score well.
What you see everywhere on the Adena course is a vast, unique, and breathtaking piece of property that has safeguarded the balance of nature and the environment.  It’s what you don’t see that makes Adena a world class facility:
            Underground soil moisture sensors monitor water levels to eliminate wasteful irrigation
    A stormwater collection and reuse program irrigates the course and landscaping
    An Integrated Pest Management Program eliminates unsound plant protectants
     Hybrid fairway mowers reduce reliance on fossil fuels
     A maintenance staff is charged with a responsibility to pledge perfection
These are the demands of Adena’s colorful owner and are implemented by Asa High, senior director of golf course operations. High was recruited from Augusta National where he was the senior assistant superintendent and learned from the crème de crème of golf course superintendents.
Being so new, Adena is not rich in history like so many of Florida’s showcase golf courses. But it promises to be one of Florida’s 5 best modern courses and easily a top 50 courses in the entire country.

Steve Lapper

Re: Adena Golf & CC, A Platinum Class Facility
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 04:07:50 PM »
John,

It appears several of your sentences are presented in imperceptibly tiny type and thus unreadable (on Safari).

I've certainly already heard some tidbits about Adena, but from the description of yours I can read, it sounds very much like a public relations or promotional piece. Are you associated with the club, or it's owner? Inquiring minds would love to know.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

John Mooshie

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 04:42:54 PM »
I am not associated with Adena or its owner in any way. I loved the course and think it will make its mark on the list of top courses with the major golf publications.

Sorry about the unreadable lines. It was my second submission and obviously, I haven't figured out how to correctly post my thoughts.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 05:16:53 PM »
😂

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 08:24:09 PM »
Checking calendar......

Yep, definitely not April.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 10:14:50 PM »

When I blew up the tiny font in John's post, the last line read like this:

"Being so new, Adena is not rich in history like so many of Florida’s showcase golf courses. But it promises to be one of Florida’s 5 best modern courses and easily a top 50 courses in the entire country."

This reminds me of that famous long-ago thread about Lakota Canyon Ranch.  [Note to John:  sorry about the insider joke.  However, consider that at present there is exactly ONE course in Florida rated in the top 50 in the country, and it was built on the oceanfront in 1929.]

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 11:27:55 PM »
John, the folks on Golf Club Atlas are not going to like these headlines:

From a Pat Dooley article found here: http://www.gainesville.com/article/20150623/ARTICLES/150629882

"When you enter, the first thing that hits you is a magnificent waterfall. Just breathtaking."

"I’d been dreading the shot ever since I saw the hole, kind of the way No. 17 is always on your mind at TPC Sawgrass. A 202-yard par three over water down to a green that looks like a thumbnail? And I hadn’t swung a club since October."

"The course and development are the brainchilds of Frank Stronach, a billionaire from Toronto, who founded Magna International, an international automotive parts company, and the Stronach Group, which specializes in horse racing entertainment. This is his baby. He didn’t only fund the course, he designed it."

"It is going to be a private course and memberships will begin to be taken when it opens Saturday. Later this summer, spec houses will be built around the course and lots will go on sale."

"While it can be played long enough to host a professional event (there is a par-5 that plays 744 yards from the back tees)..."

and...... fake waterfalls are a big turn off for the GCA crowd:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:29:34 PM by Ryan Farrow »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 11:30:38 PM »
John, the folks on Golf Club Atlas are not going to like these headlines:

From a Pat Dooley article found here: http://www.gainesville.com/article/20150623/ARTICLES/150629882

"When you enter, the first thing that hits you is a magnificent waterfall. Just breathtaking."

"I’d been dreading the shot ever since I saw the hole, kind of the way No. 17 is always on your mind at TPC Sawgrass. A 202-yard par three over water down to a green that looks like a thumbnail? And I hadn’t swung a club since October."

"The course and development are the brainchilds of Frank Stronach, a billionaire from Toronto, who founded Magna International, an international automotive parts company, and the Stronach Group, which specializes in horse racing entertainment. This is his baby. He didn’t only fund the course, he designed it."

"It is going to be a private course and memberships will begin to be taken when it opens Saturday. Later this summer, spec houses will be built around the course and lots will go on sale."

"While it can be played long enough to host a professional event (there is a par-5 that plays 744 yards from the back tees)..."

and...... fake waterfalls are a big turn off for the GCA crowd:

Yep!
Tim Weiman

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 12:48:35 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 07:54:25 AM »
Yep another "world class facility"

No doubt the only thing missing are those Sage Valley Green Jackets ::) ::)

bagpipes at sunset to follow?

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 09:09:33 AM »
Well, it provides an excellent contrast with Quogue Field Club on page 1.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 11:40:20 AM »
I guess this is what he built when the Callahan Brake deal fell through.  I'm with John on this one, the course is a lock for Golfweek top modern.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 04:20:47 PM »
Living in Utah, that clubhouse reminds me of some of the polygamist compounds I've seen in Colorado City.....big and fugly...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 04:54:38 PM »
I don't believe I have ever wanted a course to succeed so badly. Finally, something unknown and interesting. How far a drive is it from The Villages?

Rees Milikin

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 05:02:35 PM »
I don't believe I have ever wanted a course to succeed so badly. Finally, something unknown and interesting. How far a drive is it from The Villages?

Please join, it is only 27 miles to the Villages.

This is the most interesting and unknown course I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

Daniel Jones

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 05:21:10 PM »

I have yet to see it first hand, but I hope it does succeed...a lot of people's paycheck depends on it. Does it add value to our already over-saturated local golf community? Well...I suppose that's above my paygrade.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 05:34:48 PM »
John Mooshie,

Since you've already decided that Adena "will rival Streamsong, I must ask the question:

Have you played both courses at Streamsong?

I see you are a GW Rater. Do you really believe Adena will rival Streamsong amongst the majority of this other GW raters, especially those who don't live local to the area?

Just wondering?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:36:07 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

mark chalfant

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »
YIKES   ?!!

Cody Carroll

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 11:51:36 AM »
I actually started a thread on Adena not too long ago. The course was breathtaking and perfectly conditioned, but as far as it's design, it belonged more on a putt putt course. The 3rd hole is a 380 par 4 that is literally a tunnel under big oak trees. If you don't hit your tee shot into an area the size of a king size bed, then you are behind trees. The other holes were great, but that hole and the 747 par 5 where the fairway is 310 carry to reach kinda ruined it. :-\

MCirba

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 01:29:28 PM »
Isn't that clubhouse where our Special Ops guys stormed and killed Osama bin laden?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 01:41:49 PM »
Isn't that clubhouse where our Special Ops guys stormed and killed Osama bin laden?

Mike good call...I know that triple stack formation looked familiar to something I had seen lately.

Good thing we had Bush in office to Get it Done!!   ;)

Tim Pitner

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 02:46:54 PM »
You lost me at "platinum class facility."

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 10:02:09 PM »

Tremendous.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 11:13:34 PM »
The original post sounds like a rough draft of a magazine article by a freelance golf writer.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Paul Gray

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 06:24:05 AM »

Remind me how that works in your head again.

You are still under the delusion that you represent the blue sky thinking outsider, all the while supporting a Trumpesque status quo of water fountains and country club manicuring. It's about as credible as that lunatic Christian county clerk woman who feels persecuted for not being allowed to persecute others regarding their own sexual preferences. Brilliant.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back