News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Decker

Gents,

I will be driving from Buffalo to Philadelphia next week and was looking for any course recommendations.  Leaving Buffalo after lunch on a weekday and course access is usually not an issue as I work in the golf industry.

Mark Twain Golf Course in Elmira is one that gets some consideration on this site, but looking for any others depending on what's available.

Jonathan Decker

Joe Bausch

Re: Course Recommendations - Traveling from Buffalo to Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 12:29:18 PM »
So much to see . . .

But I would put CC of Scranton on the radar.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 01:36:16 PM »
Applebrook west of Philly.  Saucon Valley to the North.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »
I think my first choice would be Lehigh County Club in Allentown
CC of Scranton is well worth playing for the greens
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 02:17:29 PM »
Lancaster CC is only slightly off route. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 07:50:20 PM »
Buffalo Wyoming to Philadelphia Mississippi? Let me google-map it and get back to you.

What route are you taking? Are you going I-90 to I-81? How long do you wish the trip to last?

Stafford in Batavia.

Onondaga near Syracuse.

CCS in Scranton

If you drop down from Rochester, stop by Twain in Elmira (best Ross muni...perhaps only Ross muni.)

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 08:55:28 PM »
Depends on how you drive.. If you take 17 across to Westchester you have probably 20 top100 level courses between the Tappan Zee and Philly on 95 :)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 08:57:21 PM »
Buffalo Wyoming to Philadelphia Mississippi? Let me google-map it and get back to you.

What route are you taking? Are you going I-90 to I-81? How long do you wish the trip to last?

Stafford in Batavia.

Onondaga near Syracuse.

CCS in Scranton

If you drop down from Rochester, stop by Twain in Elmira (best Ross muni...perhaps only Ross muni.)

Hyde Park in Jacksonville, Ross muni. 

John Foley

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 09:36:10 PM »
Jonathan,

From what I've seen I'd recommend the following

Stafford - Batavia
Mark Twain - Elmira
Hiawatha - Appalachin
CC Scranton - Scranton

From Scanton south I'll defer to the Philly brethren.

JF

Integrity in the moment of choice

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 06:31:15 AM »

Stafford in Batavia.

Onondaga near Syracuse.

CCS in Scranton

Shennecossett, Triggs Memorial, George Wright and Del Ray are all Donald Ross Muni's.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 09:38:47 AM »
Mark Twain and Scranton are both worth a stop. Schuylkill CC outside of Pottsville is a funky old Park Jr/Ross course that has some great old school architecture and a cool vibe to it that would be worth a visit.

Jonathan Decker

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 05:53:24 PM »
Ron,

I should clarify, Buffalo, NY to Philadelphia, PA.

Looking to stay on the most direct route as 1pm departure and  five hours of driving could make for a rather late arrival into Philly.

CC of Scranton, Mark Twain, or possibly Lehigh are my picks as of now.  CC of Scranton could be the most feasible logistically.

Jonathan

Joe Bausch

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 12:45:21 AM »
Ron,

I should clarify, Buffalo, NY to Philadelphia, PA.

Looking to stay on the most direct route as 1pm departure and  five hours of driving could make for a rather late arrival into Philly.

CC of Scranton, Mark Twain, or possibly Lehigh are my picks as of now.  CC of Scranton could be the most feasible logistically.

Jonathan

90->390->86->81->476 is the most direct route. I drove it probably a hundred times in college.

Want a sleeper selection? Binghamton CC, a really solid and fun Tillinghast and almost dead center halfway. I don't know if you are a member in Buffalo, but they have a couple reciprocals with WNY clubs, but even if yours is not then a friendly phone call should get you on.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 12:12:39 PM »

I am told that Avon Fields Golf Course in Cincinnati is a Ross course, and it's a muni. It's also rumored to be the nation's oldest muni west of the Allegheny Mountains.

I don't believe that Tufts has Avon Fields on record, so I would be interested to learn more.

Also, in regards to the real purpose of this post, a solid public track is Great Bear (Nicklaus design) in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania. Nothing too fancy as far as architecture goes, but I had a lot of fun both times I've played it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 12:16:04 PM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 09:36:30 AM »

I am told that Avon Fields Golf Course in Cincinnati is a Ross course, and it's a muni. It's also rumored to be the nation's oldest muni west of the Allegheny Mountains.

I don't believe that Tufts has Avon Fields on record, so I would be interested to learn more.

Also, in regards to the real purpose of this post, a solid public track is Great Bear (Nicklaus design) in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania. Nothing too fancy as far as architecture goes, but I had a lot of fun both times I've played it.

Here is a photo album of Great Bear from a spring visit this year:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/GreatBear/

Jason Thurman

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 09:57:43 AM »
There are tons of great courses in the neighborhood, but I think you'll have a tough time beating Scranton for convenience to your route.

Matt, I've never heard Avon Fields attributed to Ross. It's hard for me to buy that one. I have heard it attributed to Langford, and there's some shaping out there that would suggest that in spots. I've never seen any conclusive documentation though. I do know that Waveland Golf Course in Des Moines is a municipal course dating to 1901. I thought Avon Fields was built in the early '20s. Richard Hetzel would probably know more.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 10:03:56 AM »
I liked Great Bear as well, Joe and Matt. I played it in July. It's now under the Shawnee umbrella, after being closed (but maintained) for a year or two. I found it to be extremely playable, not always a Nicklaus characteristic. The land is fairly extreme, ergo cartball. Open fronts to greens were a surprise and a delight.

RM
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill Crane

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 12:55:17 PM »
Consider the gem on the Susquehanna - the Bucknell University Golf Club.  ;)
Take Rte 15 10 miles south of Rte 80 below Williamsport. 
Eminently walkable, interesting, old, improved due to tree clearing over the last ten years. Enjoy the views of the Susquehanna valley and the Chilisquaque Ridge.
Not in the league of a Lehigh CC, but tee times available.  There is also an easy way to go directly East to get on Rte 80 to Philadelphia.

Wm Flynnfan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back