News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Bonnyton GC: Calling Out Niall
« on: June 13, 2015, 05:45:52 AM »
Niall

Any update on below?  I just received a copy of Alistair Mackenzie Playing His Legacy by Robert Fletcher (which is quite a good book!). There was a blurb about Bonnyton, but more than anything it was the photo of a rumpled plateau green which turned my eye. Interested readers need to know the score so spill it.

I hesitated about mentioning Bonnyton as even though I was born and brought up less than 10 miles away, I've never seen the course. Given the nature of the club, the course has tended to fly under the radar but from what I gather the course has little done to it over the years and so in theory............ Tell you what, I'll do my homework and let you know.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Niall C

Re: Bonnyton GC: Calling Out Niall
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 08:58:11 AM »
Sean

I went up last summer (honest we do have them in Scotland) and had a look see. Didn't play but walked all the way round the course, some of the way with a member who was playing. Even took some photos. It's a nice moorland course that has panoramic views over Glasgow and surrounding area. Good ground movement and I imagine good fun to play.

I'd love to say that it hasn't been buggered about with but I suspect that the greens have had a bit of work as to my eye it appears that the false fronts have been levelled out at some point. They have also added a pond on one off the holes mainly for drainage purposes but have tried to make a feature of it, unfortunately not too successfully. They could also do with some judicious use of the chainsaw, particularly on the par 3's but overall a course well worth playing at the right price.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 08:59:49 AM »
Sean

What does the book say about the course ?

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 12:01:17 PM »
"AM designed of the then Bonnyton Moor GC for the landowner JS Lindsey in 1922.  The course was inaugurated in June 1923 by a match between G Duncan, A Mitchell, J Kirkwood (who was a exhibition/travelling partner with Hagen for some time...my addition) and W Hagen. In 1956 the Club was bought by the Glasgow Jewish GC and it was re-named Bonnyton GC with an official opening on 19 May 1957. This is a dramatic moorland course with views as far as Ben Lomond.  It offers a unique variety of holes for the MacKenzie connoisseur with plateau greens, natural streams and well-situated bunkers along with tree-lined fairways." 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 08:40:52 AM »
Sean

That sounds about right although perhaps dramatic is over stating it. Certainly it would be worthy of one of your famous photo tours.  ;D

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back