News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Benjamin Litman

A big, newly branded week for women's golf descends on the New York City area--and, specifically, historic Westchester Country Club--today through Sunday. The new PGA of America-sponsored second major of the season was previously the LPGA Championship. Westchester was long a players' favorite on the PGA Tour (for over 40 years) and has already drawn rave reviews from the women. The tournament will be played over 6,670 yards on the club's West Course, which was designed by Walter Travis and opened in 1922. I've never been, but I'll be heading out to the tournament this weekend, likely Saturday. Assuming they let me in with my camera, I'll post a few pictures later in the week. If other GCAers want to meet up, let me know. Tickets, which are dirt cheap, are still available.

Led by wunderkind Lydia Ko, who reached No. 1 earlier this year at age 17 (she's since turned 18), the LPGA Tour has never been more popular or more exciting. As professional events go, women's events are by far the most spectator (and GCA) friendly, allowing amateur-event-like access to the players and to the course. The sightlines are superior, the swings are more aesthetically pleasing and technically sound across the board, and the leaderboards are more consistently packed with the stars. Oh, and the courses are played at or close to their original length, allowing a better appreciation of the architect's intent. I hope you can make it--or, at a minimum, catch the TV coverage (on Golf Channel Thursday and Friday, 1-4pm, and on NBC Saturday and Sunday, 3-6pm, with supplemental coverage provided by Golf Channel's "Live From" programming).

Here are some background materials about the event and the course.

Official Championship Program, including (on pp. 51-52) course notes from our own Brad Klein:
http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/Golfweek-Custom-Media/2015-kpmg-womens-pga-championship-official-program/2015060101/#0

Championship Website:
http://www.kpmgwomenspgachampionship.com/

Hole-by-Hole Flyovers on YouTube, starting with Hole 1 (other flyovers, and related event videos, are available on the right-hand search bar):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aISfutybsU&feature=youtu.be

Bill Fields, from ESPNW, on how the event came to be:
http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/13037428/how-lpga-ended-major-pga-name

Michael Prystowsky's "In My Opinion" piece here on GCA:
http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/michael-b-prystowsky-evolution-of-the-westchester-country-club-golf-courses/

Two Matt Ward threads, also here on GCA:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,12215.0.html
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,18659.0.html

I can't find any GCA photo tours, so please link to them if you know of any. Otherwise, the recent media materials have plenty of pictures.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

MCirba

Re: KPMG Women's PGA Championship at Westchester CC (June 11-14)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 01:25:27 PM »
Benjamin,

Should be a great event.   I'm not sure if it's simply that I can relate more to the game they play but I find myself watching Women's Golf on TV more often than the PGA Tour these days.  

Also, Westchester CC is on my short-list.   As a big Travis fan, I've always wanted to get there and I used to love watching when it was a regular tour stop, irrespective of low-scoring.   It just seemed to have a very cool vibe.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 01:30:16 PM »
I'm planning to attend the event this weekend (hopefully Saturday). If any other GCAers are there and want to say hello, send me an email...we could meet near the media center.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 02:52:23 PM »
Mike: For me at least, it's both that the game they play is "more" relatable (at least in terms of distance) and that the product they put out, as an entertainment business, is superior to the PGA Tour product. The leaderboards at LPGA events are almost always packed with the best players. Whether that's because the women's professional ranks are less "deep" than the men's (I, for one, don't believe that to be the case) or not, the resulting product is more exciting from a viewing perspective.

Separately, Ron Sirak just posted this on Twitter:

"The assessment of Westchester CC by one prominent coach working the @KPMGWomensPGA 'It's like Pine Valley, only with good bunkers.'"
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 10:22:53 PM »
Westchester CC is a great old Travis course and an awesome facility. In an area that is loaded with heavyweights I don't think it gets the attention it deserves. The clubhouse and hotel are fantastic and all the infrastructure is in place from the many years that the PGA Tour held the Westchester Classic. The community always embraced the "Classic" and it's a shame that there was such a public break up between the club and the PGA Tour. I think the golf course will shine for this event and anyone that hasn't seen it should tune in and check it out. Although the West is the course that they hold tournaments on the South Course was also designed by Travis and a joy to play albeit not as difficult as it tips out at around 6000 yards. Think of Merion West in terms of comparison to the East Course.

Ben-They will not allow cameras on the grounds for the tournament rounds and will also prohibit cell phone pictures. Enjoy!!!!!

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 08:27:56 AM »
Separately, Ron Sirak just posted this on Twitter:
"The assessment of Westchester CC by one prominent coach working the @KPMGWomensPGA 'It's like Pine Valley, only with good bunkers.'"

I am hoping this is tongue in cheek otherwise the "prominent" coach's course review skills are in question. ???

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 10:31:39 PM »
I was at the pro-am practice round on Tuesday. I was the first spectator to arrive at the course and virtually the only one there for at least the first two hours as you can see from the photos below. I watched Morgan Pressel for a few holes. She was playing with three members, including Al Pirro, who were giving her tips for putting to certain pin placements on the tricky greens. There's a ridge on #7 green that if you are above and have to putt down it looks like you can't stop the ball. They showed her a way to putt across the ridge. Fun stuff. Juli Inkster spent a lot of time giving a lesson to one of her am partners. I was impressed how several of the players (Inkster, Pressel, Gulbis, Munoz and IlHee Lee in particular) really went out of their way to make sure their am partners had a good time. It was a drizzly overcast morning so the pix aren't great, but the course still stands out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157654320376251  Link to LPGA player photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157654365165056 Link to Westchester CC West Course photos

Westchester Country Club #1 right side of green P1070706

Westchester Country Club #2 pitch from right rough P1070735

Westchester Country Club #3 from right rough P1070742

Westchester Country Club #4 from tee P1070745

Westchester Country Club #5 par 5 from tee P1070752

Westchester Country Club #7 view back P1070815

Westchester Country Club #7 green P1070826

Westchester Country Club #8 dogleg left from tee zoomed P1070783

Westchester Country Club #9 P1070864

Westchester Country Club #10 from tee P1070880

Westchester Country Club #11 from tee P1070802

Westchester Country Club #12 view back P1070792

Westchester Country Club #13 from tee zoomed P1070791

Westchester Country Club #13 view back P1070765

Westchester Country Club #14 par 3 middle tee P1070757

Westchester Country Club #18 view back P1070882

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 10:41:21 PM »
There appears to have been a major tree clearing.  For those who have never seen the course, they have probably cut at least 2000 trees.  I once counted 100+ trees between tournament 18 green and the 1st green.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 10:54:44 PM »
I was there this morning for the first few hours - key observations:
1. I was blown away by the course - mystified why it's not in top 100 lists - the terrain and green complexes are fabulous - I haven't played Westchester but have played WFW and Quaker Ridge and I think I prefer Westchester...though Sleepy Hollow still #1 on my westchester list
2. Robert, it's interesting you say they've removed 2,000 trees because my first impression is they have at least 1,000 still to go - virtually every fairway is tightly tree-lined, including many large evergreens and fruit trees.  There were many times when I thought 'think how good this shot would look if they cut those 2 or 3 trees!'  No impact on tour ladies but I'm sure the erratic members are punching out often
3. I followed Lexi Thompson, Suzanne Petterson and Imbee Park for a few holes - Park is 'short' but has laser-like accuracy - Lexi is LONG...50+ yards past Park on driver holes, with Petterson somewhere in between

MCirba

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 07:50:16 AM »
Wow..terrific photos.  The course looks very compelling
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

JStewart

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 08:16:39 AM »
Thanks for those pictures, Stewart.

Looks like a fantastic track.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 09:04:12 AM »
I've always thought the course looked fantastic on TV.  Glad it's getting raves from attendees.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 09:16:01 AM »
Stewart: Your pictures are superb. Many thanks for posting. I was already quite excited about attending tomorrow, but now I'm positively giddy. What stood out from your pictures is how fun the course looks. When I heard over the years that it was a "classic" northeast golf course and that the pros loved it, I feared that it was therefore "right in front of you," with no quirk. To the contrary, it appears replete with blind shots, elevation changes, sloped/fast greens, and tons of charm. I hope your pictures and comments prove, once and for all, how attending women's events (sad though it might be as a reflection of how few people care) is FAR superior for purposes of appreciating both the players and the course. Thanks again.

One related question: Do people think the women are better off, from a coverage standpoint, with hosting their majors the week before the men (as in the case of their first two majors this year), or the week after the men (as in the case of last year's U.S. Open)? Neither is probably ideal, but assume for purposes of the question that it's an either-or.

Kevin_D

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 01:37:52 PM »
I was just over at the tournament for a little while. The course in in terrific shape and the club is a great venue for a tournament. As far as I can remember, this is the first LPGA tournament I attended, and it's pretty cool - the players walk right by you, great access. The bus to and from the Rye train station takes only 5 minutes or so and runs very efficiently. I highly recommend anyone interested check it out over the weekend!

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 03:22:10 PM »
I was at the pro-am practice round on Tuesday. I was the first spectator to arrive at the course and virtually the only one there for at least the first two hours as you can see from the photos below. I watched Morgan Pressel for a few holes. She was playing with three members, including Al Pirro, who were giving her tips for putting to certain pin placements on the tricky greens. There's a ridge on #7 green that if you are above and have to putt down it looks like you can't stop the ball. They showed her a way to putt across the ridge. Fun stuff. Juli Inkster spent a lot of time giving a lesson to one of her am partners. I was impressed how several of the players (Inkster, Pressel, Gulbis, Munoz and IlHee Lee in particular) really went out of their way to make sure their am partners had a good time. It was a drizzly overcast morning so the pix aren't great, but the course still stands out.

A point worth noting:

I've seen some of the players send thank you notes to their playing partners in the pro-am.

THAT has got to go a long way!

Handwritten thank you notes.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
A point worth noting:

I've seen some of the players send thank you notes to their playing partners in the pro-am.

THAT has got to go a long way!

Handwritten thank you notes.

I agree. I make a point to always write a handwritten thank you note for even the littlest of things, and it makes a great impression when I receive one from someone else.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 12:22:17 PM »
A few thoughts--about the course and the players--after a glorious day yesterday at Westchester Country Club:

1. What a golf course. It's so good, so architecturally compelling, I--like Keith--am shocked it doesn't get more play here on GCA. It has, among other things, scale, grandeur, multi-tiered fast greens, steep falloffs on and around greens, blind tee shots and approach shots, uphill and downhill approach shots, long and short par-3s, long and short par-4s, bold bunkering, rock outcroppings, dramatic and subtle elevation changes, right and left doglegs, and just a wonderful feel. If you have time to get out there today (yes, sadly, tickets are still available), go. If not, watch on NBC from 3-6pm.

2. Disappointed though we were that Lydia Ko missed her first cut ever, thereby denying us our first, and perhaps only, opportunity to watch her live, the other players made up for her absence. The LPGA is chock full of personalities, and they deserve the attention they're now, at long last, getting.

3. Speaking of Lydia, an amusing backstory regarding her missed cut. From last summer on, my girlfriend and I have become huge fans of "Lyds," who has become one of the best stories, and delightful figures, in all of sport. She is a delight to watch on TV--I pulled an all-nighter on my birthday in February to watch her win the Women's Australian Open at Royal Melbourne (okay, the course and my having played it had something to do with the decision, but still)--and, as noted, yesterday was going to be our first day watching her live in person. We had our "Let's Ko, Lydia!" poster all ready to go. Although I of course recognized that she would at some point miss a cut, this one was especially heartbreaking for us. Worse, when I emerged from the subway yesterday afternoon for a routine MRI, I saw that she had dropped from -2 to E. I immediately texted my girlfriend that Lyds could not afford another mistake, otherwise she would risk missing her first cut ever. An hour later, the MRI over, I checked the LPGA Now app again and saw that she had fallen two strokes further back. By the time I arrived at dinner, I saw that she had birdied 8 to get to +1, inside the cut line, with a par-5 ahead. Although she would par her last hole (she really doesn't take advantage of par-5s in general), the app listed her at +1, T61, safely inside the cut line. When my girlfriend arrived, I told her that Lyds's poor play ended up being a blessing, because we would be able to watch her entire round in the morning--with very few spectators, I imagined--and still get to watch the leaders in the afternoon. We then had a nice appetizer, and after the waiter cleared our plates, I checked the scores again. Somehow, Lyds had fallen to +2, T74, one over the cut line. I checked her scorecard, and her bogey on the second hole (her 11th) had been switched to a double. The next hour at dinner was noticeably more quiet. But, upon returning home, we decided to draw up a new sign: "Come on, Aussie! (miss you, kiwi.)"--a shout out to both the timeless Karrie Webb and Lyds. At the sixth green yesterday afternoon, we met up with fellow GCAer Matt Frey. When we made our way to the shade beside the seventh green minutes later, we decided to unfurl our poster as "Webby" approached the green for her birdie putt. The timing was right: She was in the final group, and she was putting shortly after 3pm, when the NBC coverage had begun. Sure enough, we turned on the DVR'ed third round when we got home and saw the NBC camera zoom in on us and our sign, with Dan Hicks adding, "Come on, Aussie, indeed."

4. Of all the players we saw and said "good luck" to, Inbee Park--on her way to the driving range--gave off by far the most confident acknowledgment. When she turned, smiled, and thanked us, we looked at each other and simultaneously said she was going to win. Amazing how transparent true confidence can be, even with the most stoic and expressionless of players.

5. In the past, I've described Michelle Wie's and Lexi Thompson's putting as "sad." Seeing it in person, as opposed to only on TV, made clear that I've undersold the sadness of it. If either of them could putt, they would win all the time. Their ballstriking is of a totally different quality than that of the other women. But when they get on the greens, you almost don't want to watch. After her round, Wie headed straight for the practice putting green, where her mother and father--yes, they're still very much in the picture--were taking iPhone-on-the-ground close-up pictures and videos of her contact position. The pictures and videos didn't help, as she missed five straight five-foot putts. I hope they both can turn it around on the greens--though I doubt they will, as putters are born, not made. If they don't, their careers will be among the most disappointing of all time.

6. Speaking of Michelle Wie, while I recognize that injuries are hampering her this week (as they have before), she looked unhappy playing golf.

7. Suzann Pettersen, who won last week for her first victory under Butch Harmon's tutelage, is a serious athlete. Her body is unlike any of the other women's. So is her temper, which I appreciate.

8. Speaking of tempers, Christie Kerr, who plays golf right-handed, writes left-handed. Phil Mickelson, who plays golf left-handed, writes right-handed.

9. Even though I don't love it, I can understand why male fans scream "bababooey" or "mashed potatoes" during tournaments. Golf tournaments are so quiet it's uncomfortable. This is especially true at women's events. Almost each time my girlfriend or I said, audibly, "great shot" or "good luck" to a player (or "allez" or "bon courage," in the case of Michelle Wie's playing partner Perrine Delacour), they looked at us as though amazed that fans actually knew their names. They like the attention--they smiled at us--and they are entertainers (and quite good ones), so fans should really get out of their shells and let the players hear and feel their enthusiasm (within limits, of course). Fans love Tiger and Jordan because they are animated and let out their emotions--and remind fans that golf tournaments are, in fact, sporting events. It's okay to root for the players, too.

10. Finally, although I heeded the tournament's rules and left my camera at home, I did manage to snap a few pictures with my girlfriend's iPhone (once a volunteer broke the no-cameras-even-on-iPhones rule by taking a picture of us, I felt liberated).

The green at the par-3 1st hole. (The nines are flipped for tournament play, presumably because the typical back nine runs around the perimeter of the typical front nine, making it harder to get to for spectators.)

Looking back down the 4th, with the 15th off on the right.

The stunning downhill tee shot on the par-5 5th.

The perched green on the short par-4 7th, with a brutal pin position tucked front left over a cavernous bunker.

Not until we got home and watched the round on DVR did I realize that Karrie Webb had hit her second shot, which had rolled all the way through the fairway, from the rough immediately next to the front-left corner of this lateral creek on the brutal par-4 11.

Looking back up the fairway to the tee at the 11th, with the ubiquitous hotel/clubhouse in the distance on the left.

Looking down the fairway toward the green at the par-5 12th.

The stunning short par-4 13th, with, like the 7th, but moreso, a blind uphill second shot.

The dropoffs behind some of the greens at Westchester, here at the par-3 14th, are among the steepest I've seen. Here, from above...

...and below.

The par-5 closing hole, with the hotel/clubhouse in the background.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 02:08:08 PM »
I realized while watching this just how much I miss seeing this course on TV every June..... the Barclays and the FedEx Cup have ruined everything for me, *thhhbppp*. I always associated this course with being the traditional US Open warmup, even though it hasn't been for a few years now.

I saw your sign, Ben. Of course, Dan Hicks said "come on, AuSSSSie" which drives me absolutely crazy.

I love the stretch of holes from 6-14 especially, the way they play through the natural rock formations. I've always thought #8 was a really cool hole, especially.... it almost looks like it could have been part of a quarry at one time.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 04:37:29 PM »
The course looks much more interesting to me as it's currently set up than I remembered it looking from the tour event -- my recollection was that it was usually pretty soft and green.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 06:14:26 PM »
Here are some pre-teen removal photos

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 06:17:52 PM »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 06:22:35 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back