News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: Forest Dunes seeks naming help for new 2nd course
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2015, 03:14:35 PM »
Romney Dunes - updated each presidential cycle for the candidate who flip flops the most.  National exposure every 4 years.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »
You'd save the pro-shop crew a million "Which course are we playing today?" questions if you just called them Forest Dunes Odd and Forest Dunes Even.

One other possibility: Forest Dunes Maize and Forest Dunes Blue.

Sorry to take this seriously (for once).

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

JC Jones

« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »

One other possibility: Forest Dunes Maize and Forest Dunes Blue.

If you are going to name them after losers why not just NLE and ELN?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2015, 05:01:26 PM »

Matt Ginella reports that the name is...

"New Doak course @forestdunesgolf will be called The Loop, with double Os as infinity symbol. Soft open Aug. 15, 2016."

https://twitter.com/MattGinellaGC/status/623948591057477632

Half a point for Pat...

The Infinity Course at Forest Dunes

The courses' logo:

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jud_T

Re: Forest Dunes names new 2nd course: The Loop
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2015, 06:11:26 PM »
Love the Logo, but the Loop? 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Joe Hancock

« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2015, 07:23:16 PM »
The golf course, I'm sure, will exhibit a look of fine hand-craftsmanship(after all, those guys are good!) when completed. The logo doesn't. Straight off the computer....

I wouldn't normally care about this kind of thing, but it obviously got posted for discussion and opinion.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Sean Ogle

« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2015, 07:56:05 PM »
I actually really like the logo, not a huge fan of the name.

That said, I'm just really excited for this course. I loved Forest Dunes, but wasn't sure when I'd have a good enough reason to head back to middle of nowhere Michigan.

Looks like I've found it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2015, 08:15:04 PM »
Funny way for me to find out about it ...

Mark Pavy

« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2015, 08:25:42 PM »
Loop doesn't really imply the course is reversible.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2015, 09:16:22 PM »
The golf course, I'm sure, will exhibit a look of fine hand-craftsmanship(after all, those guys are good!) when completed. The logo doesn't. Straight off the computer....

I wouldn't normally care about this kind of thing, but it obviously got posted for discussion and opinion.
The graphic designer is one of the top men in the business. He used to spend weeks in his office, drawing everything by hand. He even wrote an (in)famous book on the history of graphic arts and some of its best, and worst, examples. But he got so famous and busy that now he hardly ever picks up a pencil or sits down at his desk. Instead, as was the case here, he hands off the design to one of his young guys, and flies into the office from the coast once a month to glad-hand and sign off on the project (with a couple of tweaks, of course e.g. "make the loop just a little bit loopier").

Michael Graham

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2015, 06:25:30 AM »
What a terrible logo for a golf course. It reeks of ad agencies, brand consultants and focus groups.

Josh Bills

« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2015, 09:20:06 AM »
I submitted this but apparently wasn't what they were looking for...

Call it Doak's Tenet (design philosophy) or Doak's Seres (stages of ecological development) and then call the two courses simple odd and even.  But have a catch phrase that is a palindrome "Never Odd or Even" as it spells the same way backward and forwards.

Would agree the logo is pretty cookie cutter and not sure the Loop addresses what they asked for in the email.  Which is below:

"So with those concepts in mind, we not only need to name the golf course but also name each routing.  As you can understand, I believe that the name for the course will not be overly generic, as the concept for the course is anything but generic.
In my opinion the course name will incorporate and explain the reversible aspect and utilize something native or common to the area.  Northern Michigan provides a special setting and conveying that in the title may be key.

Once a name is established we then need to create a logo.  That part will come a little further down the road, never the less, feel free to include ideas for logos in addition to your creative name."

Josh
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:08:28 AM by Josh Bills »

PCCraig

« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2015, 11:00:17 AM »

Matt Ginella reports that the name is...

"New Doak course @forestdunesgolf will be called The Loop, with double Os as infinity symbol. Soft open Aug. 15, 2016."

https://twitter.com/MattGinellaGC/status/623948591057477632

Half a point for Pat...

The Infinity Course at Forest Dunes

The courses' logo:

Hey!!! Cool! I did e-mail in the suggestion a while back. What do I win? :)
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2015, 11:01:12 AM »
What a terrible logo for a golf course. It reeks of ad agencies, brand consultants and focus groups.

Or a creative mind and a Google image search?! ;)
H.P.S.

Bill Hyde

« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2015, 11:10:17 AM »
As the creative director at an ad agency, my opinion is that the logo is awful. Further, it cannot be replicated on merchandise unless printed – that type of artwork (pseudo-3D vector art) cannot be replicated in embroidery. I offer our services free of charge to Forest Dunes to make one that will a) look good relative to all the classic and modern (Streamsong) logos everyone loves, and, b) sell shirts and hats that don't look like they were given away at a technology conference.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2015, 11:18:26 AM »

Or a creative mind and a Google image search?! ;)

Possibly...

Jud_T

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2015, 11:22:01 AM »
The problem I have is not so much with the logo, although the point about embroidery is a good one, but that without the visual the name falls flat and sounds like a home for aging caddies instead of a cutting edge green concept.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

BHoover

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2015, 11:27:38 AM »
In my opinion, both the name and the logo are rather ridiculous. But whatever.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2015, 12:05:31 PM »
not a very subtle or inventive logo...unlike that of the Punchbowl which is darn awesome!!!!!

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2015, 12:24:05 PM »
As the creative director at an ad agency, my opinion is that the logo is awful. Further, it cannot be replicated on merchandise unless printed – that type of artwork (pseudo-3D vector art) cannot be replicated in embroidery. I offer our services free of charge to Forest Dunes to make one that will a) look good relative to all the classic and modern (Streamsong) logos everyone loves, and, b) sell shirts and hats that don't look like they were given away at a technology conference.

Bill, I couldn't agree more with what you wrote.  I think the project is fascinating, I think the branding is embarrassing...

Carl Nichols

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2015, 12:36:05 PM »

I wouldn't go so far as ridiculous, though I certainly don't think it's very good.  It is, however, better than 95% of the (apparently serious) suggestions in this thread.  IMHO of course.

BHoover

« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2015, 01:36:05 PM »

I wouldn't go so far as ridiculous, though I certainly don't think it's very good.  It is, however, better than 95% of the (apparently serious) suggestions in this thread.  IMHO of course.

I don't know, I thought my suggested name was pretty damn good--The Experience at Forest Dunes National Highlands of Michigan National.

Just imagine that logo!!

8)

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2015, 03:36:47 PM »
"I don't know, I thought my suggested name was pretty damn good--The Experience at Forest Dunes National Highlands of Michigan National"
[/size][/color]
[/size]You left out "Of America".[/color]

BHoover

« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2015, 03:38:19 PM »
"I don't know, I thought my suggested name was pretty damn good--The Experience at Forest Dunes National Highlands of Michigan National"
[/size][/color]
[/size]You left out "Of America".[/color]

Thought that might be too much. Too over the top.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back