News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: GCA as a deciding factor on where you live?
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 09:18:20 PM »
If we chose to be snowbirds it would be a huge factor.

What areas interest you?

Bill:

I am not remotely near that point in life but for me the key would be finding a relatively affordable private club with a good golf course and a culture of walking.  I like to walk but not so much that I would choose to walk when my playing companions ride.  The guys I know in their 70's that walk regularly seem so much more fit than many of their counterparts on carts.

Places that have struck me as possibly fitting the bill include The Palms, Desert Forest and Hideout.  I am sure there are many others. 

Steve Lang

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 09:52:04 PM »
 8) gca deciding, no way, opportunity and quality of life yes.

but its really nice up along the 45th parallel in michigan in summer, ... really nice along the 30th parallel in TX the rest of the year and one needs a good airport or two snd then one can always buy some cheap farmland and hopefully have Mike Nuzzo design his next personal course for you, ala Wolf Point.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bill Brightly

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 10:01:09 PM »
Jason, just so I am clear, The Palms is in CA and Desert Foerest is in AZ, right? My wife is not moving that far away from our kids. I've heard good things about The Hideout, so I will check it out. At age 58, I'm a helluva lot closer than you in terms of seriously considering this... I just want the option to walk or pull, so I'm eliminating all the riding only options, including a really nice place in Bonita Springs with three good courses that my best friend just joined (without asking my approval! :) )

David_Tepper

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 10:08:05 PM »
If you don't mind being a bit isolated, Pauma Valley in north San Diego County is worth considering. It is a 50+ year old Robert Trent Jones course in a very pretty spot. The surrounding housing is not especially intrusive and not very expensive (at least for California!). The weather is certainly playable all year round.

http://www.paumavalleycc.com/

John Cowden

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 10:59:51 PM »
May I solicit any votes for a house at Pasatiempo, ten minutes from the beach, 45 minutes from Carmel, 30 minutes from the 'Niners, and 75 minutes from SF?  The perfect Mediteranean climate with 300 days of sunshine and temps rarely above 80-85. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2015, 11:16:25 PM »
"May I solicit any votes for a house at Pasatiempo, ten minutes from the beach, 45 minutes from Carmel, 30 minutes from the 'Niners, and 75 minutes from SF?  The perfect Mediteranean climate with 300 days of sunshine and temps rarely above 80-85."

JCowden -

Assuming one had bought both a home near Pasa and an ownership share in the course 20-25 years ago, that would be a fine choice indeed. At today's prices it is a much different and far more costly proposition.

On the other hand DeLaveaga,  the Santa Cruz muni, is not without its quirky charms.

http://www.delaveagagolf.com/

DT

Dave Doxey

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2015, 07:47:04 AM »
For me in retirement, escaping winter is the top factor.  Golf 12 months a year without layers of sweaters/jackets is great.  Pretty much every metro area has decent courses.

A bigger question is whether to drop a big initiation fee for a private club, given the financial struggles and bankruptcy problems of clubs today.  With more public access and declining greens fees, pay-as-you-go is an attractive option.  The key is finding a good regular group of players.  All I want is golf. The more holes the better. I don't want tennis, pool, health club, dining, or any of that overhead.  Certainly not a home in a "golf community".

Architecture is certainly a consideration, but not the main one. Doak 4 or better is good enough.  All courses, public or private, have  "feel" to them in both the play and the general service attitude.  It's hard to characterize, but that plays heavy into a decision as to where to play.

Steve Lang

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »
 8) isn't the old indian curse on santa cruz still in effect, for the inhabitants to wander aimlessly?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Craig Disher

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 11:13:21 AM »
To threadjack a bit, what is the best destination for warm weather golf in the Eastern US? Is Aiken warm enough? Is there enough complelling golf from a gca perspective? I haven't found anyplace in Florida that meets my criteria: access to multiple great courses, that allow pull carts or have caddies, but close enough to the water to get my wife to move with me...

Bill,
My wife and I had long discussions on this. Florida was out for a variety of reasons unrelated to golf. Aiken had great appeal but proximity to the ocean was a major consideration and we settled near Beaufort, SC. We have had no regrets. There are seriously good golfing opportunities here as well.

Andrew Bernstein

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 11:19:23 AM »
To threadjack a bit, what is the best destination for warm weather golf in the Eastern US? Is Aiken warm enough? Is there enough complelling golf from a gca perspective? I haven't found anyplace in Florida that meets my criteria: access to multiple great courses, that allow pull carts or have caddies, but close enough to the water to get my wife to move with me...

It can still get cold in the winter, but Pinehurst is still a viable option. You might not be able to play every day in January, but you can still play a  few days each winter month. Plus, it's only about two hours and change to Wilmington and the beach.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 11:24:58 AM »
As life-long residents of a reasonably attractive, low cost of living medium-sized Sunbelt city we're not going anywhere, either before or after retirement. But thinking in terms of where to play golf the rest of my life, I'd say "GCA" in the sense of a Doak scale or similar would not be any sort of factor.

There are plenty of golf courses which I could happily play several times a week for years or decades. Some of them might rate on the Doak scale but the majority are probably 1's or 2's at best. Much more important than "architecture" is the condition of the course, whether I'm allowed to walk and how easy that walk is, the pace of play normally experienced and general experience of the entire operation.

I would absolutely drive right past a "Doak 7" or similar course of high repute that required a golf cart or a caddie in order to play and gladly drive another 20 miles to get to a "Doak 1" at which I could pull my bag out of the trunk, head straight to the first tee and walk the course as I play. Assuming of course it was generally in dry condition with decently maintained greens. Architectural pedigree is at best a bonus and the quality of the routing and design more generally is not at the top of my list of important factors.

Jason Topp

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 12:27:53 PM »
8) isn't the old indian curse on santa cruz still in effect, for the inhabitants to wander aimlessly?

Based on my relatives that live there I suspect yes.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2015, 12:38:28 PM »
The last time I was on the job market was 10 years ago. I was interviewing with JPMorgan in NYC and Hershey's. I have always had great comfort with NYC, I had Rangers season tickets and series tix at the City Ballet for many years, the lack of time and access to a lot of golf certainly played into my decision to move to Central PA. Obviously the NYC area has loads of great golf, but assuming access and time is a different story.

Was GCA a deciding factor, not really, but access, time and the lifestyle afforded by a less urban area certainly tipped the scales.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2015, 12:51:46 PM »
Quality golf is definitely a requirement for me.  We live in northern New Jersey and, with our kids building careers in NYC we will likely always have a home here - that works for me as it's hard to top our area for spring-summer-fall golf on old classics.  For winter golf, we have decided on Jupiter, FL...great weather, great golf and great access from the NYC area.  Too soon to tell whether that will be a long-term option - I love it but my non-golfing wife is intrigued by the Charleston's and Savannah's of the deep south - I do have a 'GCA veto' but I know I could be very happy with the golfing options in those areas.  Some desirable locales don't really work on the golf front...we have many friends on Nantucket and love the island, but quality private golf is not terribly accessible - I won't pay those real estate prices and be forced to take up sailing! 

Sean_A

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2015, 01:09:16 PM »
David

I didn't mind moving to England partly because I knew the golf was good and plentiful.  But when choosing the specific area, golf had nothing to do with it. I think if I moved country again, it would be for a reasonable warm all-year climate so as a sideline that definitely helps the golf prospects.

Ciao

Sean,

Examples please, where are you going to find the kind of golf you love in a warm climate that's also equivalent to what you are use to from a cost perspective? Enlighten me and I might put that on my to be considered list. I mean it can't be Spain/Portugal, Florida, California etc so I'm kind of drawing a blank here.

DD

DD

Haven't given it much thought, but I accept that moving anywhere in the US will require a marked step down or two in affordable, accessible and easily reached golf...nothing in the US can touch what I can play within a daytrip from my house and certainly not for a 1/2 night trip by car.  That said, I would seriously consider the Carolinas. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2015, 01:18:23 PM »
Time from door to first tee is pretty important, especially in an area of erratic weather. The benefit of a short drive to play a few holes in the evening or do a few minutes of practice is considerable not only in golfing but also in relaxation terms.
Atb

Carl Rogers

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2015, 03:19:16 PM »
I got preposterously lucky, live 10 minutes at the most from an early Doak, Riverfront, in Suffolk, VA.
Tidewater VA has a number of reasonably ok to a little better than ok courses that are not expensive.  It is the major reason I have been able to continue playing and making some marginal progress in the game since I moved to the area in 86.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2015, 03:43:04 PM »
Well, the wife and I are currently looking at houses in Deal and Sandwich...

Blimey Adam, you don't mess about!

A couple of hours after posting this you appear to have bought one 100 yards from RCP. Impressive!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2015, 03:49:32 PM »
Our first offer was accepted. Long, long way to go, and it's a bit more than 100 yards away :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2015, 04:52:56 PM »
David I have often mused on this and think I'm most likely to stay in Europe, close to the Atlantic or at least the sea. 

But have heard good things about Thailand and will likely visit next Jan but probably not including Golf.

I have a clinet who has palns for a new golf Course in Cuba - so will watch developments there.

Haven't ruled out N America yet so watching this thread with interest.

We have talked about downsizing in London and getting second place by the sea.

Will try Portugal again for winter golf.  Was fine in February but the overwatering that early in the season is hard to take.

Biarritz.  A lot of average to good Golf  Chiberta, Hossegor etc. But sublime location and big enough for it's own Cinema.

The other half would love Italy, but the med doesn't float my boat and I know nothing of the Golf.

I am realistic about my language skills and don't want to be a little brit so

I do wonder about winters in

Cornwall, surfed and golfed at New Year in St Ives.

Ballybunion or Lahinch, palm trees grow but never been in winter.

Nairn.  The area is famed for it's mild climate.

But I do need both seaside and a city nearby.

So The Lothians and Fife need visiting in Winter. 

Deal yes indeed but the seaside is a disapointment, assuming like me you might ever want to splash in it.  However the other half thinks we'd get more use from something nearby.

Bournemouth area. Will feature on a Mad March tour soon.  It's time to face up to the fact that we're incipient wrinklies!

Next Bank Holiday weekend is Brighton, a world class town but poor coast and golf options (Pullborough 40mins?).  We'll see.

More research needed,  I could have written most of this post 10 years ago and I'm still no closer to knowing ,even if I am much closer to the day when decisions need to be made or forever lost.

David to get the Links ticket I think you need 2 years residency close to St Andrews, be on the electoral role and registerred with a GP.  I.e. you have to committ to there before you get that benefit. However much I like St Andrews as one of our waitress/students said "For all the talk of a City you have to remember its really only 3 streets big."
Let's make GCA grate again!

David Davis

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2015, 07:10:57 AM »
Tony,

Thanks for the encouraging words. 10 years of searching for enlightenment and no further than when you started.

You sure know how to shed light and hope on the entire process.

Please keep me up on your search and what comes out of it.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Scott Warren

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2015, 08:05:54 AM »
Muldoon, Arble et al. Just Google "Mornington Peninsula" and be done with the search, FFS!

Amazes me you all want to spend so much money to live and play golf in sub-standard places.

If you live even a 10hr drive from friends/family, how often will you see them? Just choose the right place and enjoy life!

GLawson

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2015, 08:22:56 AM »
Scott,

Just curious, one round left to play in your life:  Royal Melbourne or Kingston Heath?

Best,
Gordon

Scott Warren

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2015, 08:27:53 AM »
RMW, no contest.

James Boon

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2015, 09:00:16 AM »
David,

I would think Deal would suit you, but I hear they let a Yorkshirman in recently so perhaps standards are slipping?  ;D

GCA is certainly an influence for me. My wife and I are moving soon and when looking around large areas were instantly ruled out as it was just too far to drive for regular golf where I'm a member now, which luckily does provide interesting golf from an architectural, history and challenge perspective. Its also playable all year round with occasional temporary greens for frost.

We recently went to the Isle of Skye and while there I bumped into another architect who lived in the East Midlands like me but had relocated to the Isle of Skye. We had serious discussions regarding doing something similar, and while there are many factors to consider in some such move, I just couldn't do it as despite a few options (fun 9 hole course on the island, a couple of 9 holers on the mainland, regular day trips to Askernish by ferry...), there just wasn't the right golf course nearby for regular play.

To answer another question, we have therefore come up with a long term plan which involves getting a small holiday home in Scotland and spending 3 months in spring and 3 months in autumn there, then summer and winter here at home (way in the future as retirement approaches or perhaps earlier if I can get more freedom workwise). That would give me golf at Notts GC for half the year and probably Royal Dornoch for the other half?

Thankfully my wife realises what a big part golf is in my life and so is happy for this to have an impact on such large decisions in life!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back