News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Smith

Any clue what happened to the Himalayan GC in Nepal?
« on: May 03, 2015, 03:17:43 PM »
Has any news filtered out to anyone about what the earthquake did there?  On that site anything could have happened.  Of course everyone there has a lot bigger problems than golf...
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Tom_Doak

Re: Any clue what happened to the Himalayan GC in Nepal?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 05:10:09 PM »
Greg:

I had an email yesterday from Deepak Acharya, the pro and superintendent at Gokarna Forest in Kathmandu, who arranged my trip there.  He says the main needs are blankets [because everyone is sleeping outside for fear of aftershocks], food, and water ... and, eventually, capital to rebuild things stronger.  He didn't say anything about the golf courses or his own resort, because they are low-priority right now.

Generally, though, the earth shakes but it doesn't move very much, so golf courses themselves are rarely seriously affected by earthquakes [other than irrigation line breaks in severe instances].  The vertical structures attached to the courses are another story though.

P.S.  I have asked Deepak what he thinks is the best way to contribute to relief efforts, and will post here when I hear back from him.

Pat Burke

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 06:14:06 PM »
Greg:

I had an email yesterday from Deepak Acharya, the pro and superintendent at Gokarna Forest in Kathmandu, who arranged my trip there.  He says the main needs are blankets [because everyone is sleeping outside for fear of aftershocks], food, and water ... and, eventually, capital to rebuild things stronger.  He didn't say anything about the golf courses or his own resort, because they are low-priority right now.

Generally, though, the earth shakes but it doesn't move very much, so golf courses themselves are rarely seriously affected by earthquakes [other than irrigation line breaks in severe instances].  The vertical structures attached to the courses are another story though.

P.S.  I have asked Deepak what he thinks is the best way to contribute to relief efforts, and will post here when I hear back from him.

Thanks Tom

Sam Krume

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 12:58:27 PM »
I believe from recalling what I saw on BBC news  that the fairways are being used for emergency shelter( with tents provided) and that the club says that the most important thing was to house the people that had lost everything.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 05:22:14 PM »
I believe from recalling what I saw on BBC news  that the fairways are being used for emergency shelter( with tents provided) and that the club says that the most important thing was to house the people that had lost everything.

Sam:

The news reports were about Royal Nepal GC, which is right by the airport in Kathmandu.  That has indeed been turned into an emergency shelter and will likely continue to be for weeks if not months longer.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 05:50:14 PM »

Sam:

The news reports were about Royal Nepal GC, which is right by the airport in Kathmandu.  That has indeed been turned into an emergency shelter and will likely continue to be for weeks if not months longer.

Related stories...

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/04/nepalese-golf-course-is-transf.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/nepal/11567782/Royal-golf-course-transforms-into-a-refugee-camp-as-it-shelters-Nepals-earthquake-survivors.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Sam Krume

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 03:13:14 AM »

Sam:

[/quote

Thanks for the clarification Tom..got my courses confused or maybe just not paying as much attention to the news as I should.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back