News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Dolton

Royal Norwich
« on: March 14, 2015, 04:05:56 AM »
Just read that Royal Norwich is to move to a new site. Is the course worth playing before they move?
And any news on the designer of the new course?

Adam Lawrence

Re: Royal Norwich
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 06:07:22 AM »
I don't know the existing course. The plan is to sell the site for housing and build 27 holes on the site of a nearby pay and play. Ross McMurray of EGD is the architect, but it'll be several years before the project comes to fruition.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 07:58:00 AM »
I have played the current course and thought it had some fun holes, and was of interest. It dates from 1893, and James Braid renovated it in 1923. How the 4th and 8th holes cross over is pretty unique, and the back nine is fun, with some good holes. The 12th & 13th holes have a unique piece of history in that John Hudson had consecutive holes-in-one on them in 1971. What makes this more remarkable is that while the 12th is a par 3 (198y), the 13th is a par 4 (today measuring 328y). It is reviewed in my book Golf's Royal Clubs.

The place they are moving to is about 8 miles away (from memory) and an existing facility that EGD will renovate. I know little about the course where RN are moving to, or what the plans are, but EGD have been earmarked for the project for a number of years while the planning/financing/permissions have been under negotiation.

Scott

Josh Stevens

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 12:32:32 AM »
Played it a few years back as we had friends in Norwich.  Nothing to write home about - pleasant enough, but flat clay based faming country of little interest. Close to town so that is something. Weston Park is much in the same vein I think - I had lunch there once but didn't play.

Proper golfers would trundle north to Hunstanton or Brancaster and so I guess that explains the merger

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back