News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

GCA's, what would you design and build with free reign ?
« on: February 15, 2015, 08:08:30 AM »
Following on from the other thread on whether any architect has ever had free reign hand, and also from recent comments from Tom D lamenting that he's never had a the chance to build a course of a certain length (forget which), what would you build if you had the opportunity assuming that the site had no constraints, the budget wasn't an issue and the client left you too it ?

Niall
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:06:18 AM by Niall Carlton »

Marty Bonnar

Re: GCA's, what would you design and build with free reign ?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »
I think it's rein.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 12:49:50 PM »
Niall:

I've got several ideas still to do on my bucket list.

I get to check off the reversible 18-hole course this summer.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 01:04:40 PM »
Niall,

A decade ago, a guy came to me with the idea of a rustic multiple course resort, and my idea was to build 4 courses in different styles and lengths, mostly as 8000 yard futuristic course, 7000 yard mid 20th century course, 6000 yard early 20th century course and 5000 yard 19th century course (maybe with hickories and knickers mandatory on that latter)

That way golfers could almost experience the history of gca in one week or so.  I am not a fan of Tour 18 or Architects Golf Club, as I think that transition is too choppy, but four courses designed along general themes would be okay. 

I should have known the project would never come to fruition, because it was another dreamer looking to have others fund it.  He claimed to have many celebs in the fold, but I never met them. As I recall, his company was called fantasy creations or similar....in the end, that is just what it was!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 01:20:13 PM »
I think it's rein.
No, it IS about being King for awhile.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 01:54:14 PM »
Free reign for me is not what I want to build, but what surrounds the build.
I would like one new project where I do nothing else but work on that project every day start to finish.

I'm at the point now where I likely could manage to do this and not destroy the business that I've built.
It's what I would like most ... given free reign

That, for me, would be bigger than an unlimited budget, no site restrictions or any other aspect that impacts a golf design.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »
Free reign for me is not what I want to build, but what surrounds the build.
I would like one new project where I do nothing else but work on that project every day start to finish.

I'm at the point now where I likely could manage to do this and not destroy the business that I've built.
It's what I would like most ... given free reign

That, for me, would be bigger than an unlimited budget, no site restrictions or any other aspect that impacts a golf design.

I have thought this myself in recent years, but I don't know if I could do it.  I am so spoiled in having guys be able to shape what I ask for at the snap of my fingers! 

I know the greens would turn out differently if I tried to build them all myself, as at High Pointe, where nearly all of them evolved from what I started thinking to when I got off the dozer; it was actually a blessing that I wasn't good enough on the machine to build what I wanted to right away.  But it's impossible to think about that with an active payroll and a wife who doesn't like to travel much.  Perhaps one day the planets will all align correctly; that would be a lot of fun.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 07:14:32 PM »
I have thought this myself in recent years, but I don't know if I could do it.  I am so spoiled in having guys be able to shape what I ask for at the snap of my fingers! 

I know the greens would turn out differently if I tried to build them all myself, as at High Pointe, where nearly all of them evolved from what I started thinking to when I got off the dozer; it was actually a blessing that I wasn't good enough on the machine to build what I wanted to right away.  But it's impossible to think about that with an active payroll and a wife who doesn't like to travel much.  Perhaps one day the planets will all align correctly; that would be a lot of fun.

Tom,

I will leave the shaping to a more talented people (I have a few in mind) but I would like to finish all the features and tie-ins myself.

I will do this because I have no overhead, no mortgage and my kids are pretty close to being on their own.
I did live in Montreal through the build at Laval, so we've gone through this before.
Unlike you, my issue is finding the project.    :)

I doubt there is more than one or two renovation/restoration clients that wouldn't defer work for one year for the right reason.
So even that end of things is pretty straightforward.

With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 10:07:42 AM »
Niall,

A decade ago, a guy came to me with the idea of a rustic multiple course resort, and my idea was to build 4 courses in different styles and lengths, mostly as 8000 yard futuristic course, 7000 yard mid 20th century course, 6000 yard early 20th century course and 5000 yard 19th century course (maybe with hickories and knickers mandatory on that latter)

That way golfers could almost experience the history of gca in one week or so.  I am not a fan of Tour 18 or Architects Golf Club, as I think that transition is too choppy, but four courses designed along general themes would be okay. 

I should have known the project would never come to fruition, because it was another dreamer looking to have others fund it.  He claimed to have many celebs in the fold, but I never met them. As I recall, his company was called fantasy creations or similar....in the end, that is just what it was!

Jeff

Are you meaning four courses in one or is that an ambition too far ?!

Niall

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 11:17:40 AM »
It was four courses in one location in South Texas as sort of an upper end getaway.  Guy claimed to have the likes of MJ, and some other B Ballers on board as investors.  Was really a bunch of smoke and mirror, too good to be true type of deal.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 12:14:25 PM »
I think it's rein.
No, it IS about being King for awhile.

It's rein. It's about letting the horse go freely.

Now that's an image. Tom, Jeff, etc. as horses. ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 07:17:50 PM »

I am in this camp too.  Ideally it will be my primary business model, but it seems to be that so much time is spent in the lead up of building something with a lot of that lead up leading to...well, not building anything.  We will see, but I enjoy shaping and want to continue to do it as much as I can.  Like Tom mentions, your ideas of what you want to do evolve so much in the seat. Sometimes you go a totally different direction, but even when mostly 'staying the course' you will end up with at least a little wrinkle here or there that adds to the initial vision. 

As far as the content goes, it depends on the site.  Lots of shortgrass though, micro contours, options, and natural texture.

One thing I've always been interested in trying is the ultimate minimalist course.  Something dead flat with only 1-3' contours, slight tilts here and there, and free draining sand.  Very firm conditions and undefined playing corridors.  Deep and smaller bunkers placed where one is trying to find ways to skirt the ball close by them on the ground. Greens sitting flush to the ground and either using only pre-existing contours or making one or two simple design moves to create the strategy.  I think something really fun can be made on not much at all, and it would be pretty fun to prove it.  We did something along these lines at the Schoolhouse 9 in Virginia, and I'm looking forward to testing it out the first time they have a good drought. 

"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back