News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SteveOgulukian

Better golf: Hamptons or Monterey Peninsula?
« on: February 13, 2015, 04:12:13 PM »
It 7 degrees in NY and we’re all drooling over the views of the Monterey Peninsula being shot from the blimp at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am.  Spring will be here, eventually, but we would all love in be in Carmel right now.  However, once the snow melts away, where would you rather find yourself golfing for a week (assuming accessibility was a non-issue)….in and around the Monterey Peninsula or the Hamptons?

If we were to place them head to head, the natural 3 on 3 would be CPC, Pebble, & Spyglass vs NGLA, Shinny, and Sebonack.  They can then be extended to include MPCC and Maidstone/Southampton or push the geographical limits further to include Pasatiempo and Friar’s Head.   I’m obviously skipping over plenty of great courses in the respective regions but it’s a start.  It’s safe to say that both options are as good as it gets, but who wins this East vs West battle in your opinion?

Fellow NY'ers, look on the bright side.....Sunday's low temp is 1 degree.  Courses will be playing firm and fast over the weekend, even Tallgrass.

jeffwarne

Re: Better golf: Hamptons or Monterey Peninsula?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 04:26:52 PM »
It 7 degrees in NY and we’re all drooling over the views of the Monterey Peninsula being shot from the blimp at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am.  Spring will be here, eventually, but we would all love in be in Carmel right now.  However, once the snow melts away, where would you rather find yourself golfing for a week (assuming accessibility was a non-issue)….in and around the Monterey Peninsula or the Hamptons?

If we were to place them head to head, the natural 3 on 3 would be CPC, Pebble, & Spyglass vs NGLA, Shinny, and Sebonack.  They can then be extended to include MPCC and Maidstone/Southampton or push the geographical limits further to include Pasatiempo and Friar’s Head.   I’m obviously skipping over plenty of great courses in the respective regions but it’s a start.  It’s safe to say that both options are as good as it gets, but who wins this East vs West battle in your opinion?

Fellow NY'ers, look on the bright side.....Sunday's low temp is 1 degree.  Courses will be playing firm and fast over the weekend, even Tallgrass.

Given that they're playing in short sleeves in Monterey Peninsula, and the weather sux here till late May, it's a no brainer.
Just returned from the glass repair shop because 30 seconds after my wife turned on the heater in her 6 month old car the passeneger seat window shattered from the heat/cpld contrast. Pretty sure that didn't happen to anybody on the peninsula today....
yes I'm angry and hate winter ;) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 04:33:11 PM »
They're having some car issues out there as well.....

http://www.golf.com/paul-mcginley-has-golf-clubs-ryder-cup-items-stolen

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 05:27:37 PM »
I have to go with the Holy Hamptons Triumvirate, and not at all because I'm a native New Yorker (I've never played any of them, although I walked Sebonack for the 2013 U.S. Women's Open and NGLA for the 2013 Walker Cup, and, in addition to a lesson on the driving range, have gazed longingly at Shinnecock for years). By contrast, I played both Spyglass Hill and Pebble Beach (on the same very-expensive day) this summer and managed to snap a few pictures of Cypress Point while I was in the neighborhood. I was slightly underwhelmed by both courses.

My principal rationale is that the Hamptons Three provide the purer golf experience--fewer houses, fewer cart paths, more isolation. (Although I'm all about public and public-access golf, the privacy of all three Hamptons courses rids them of much of the commercialization that somewhat taints at least Pebble Beach and Spyglass Hill.) Assuming we're comparing the two sets of courses only in warm seasons, I would say the weather in the Hamptons is also more consistently better. Finally, the Hamptons Three provide the better variety:  NGLA is as fun as they come (though I've heard the same about Cypress Point, albeit less so), Shinnecock is as "championship worthy" as they come, and Sebonack is the perfect mix between the two. I know Pebble Beach has plenty of championship chops, but I think most professionals would admit Shinnecock is the better championship venue--and course. And Spyglass Hill has a bit of an identity crisis.

FWIW, even by pure rankings, which none of us agrees with, the Hamptons still win, although it's admittedly quite close (the difference accounted for entirely by the difference in each set's "weak link"). Based on the latest Golf Digest rankings of the Top 100 courses in the United States, the Hamptons win 50 to 58 (lowest aggregate wins):

Shinnecock=4
NGLA=8
Sebonack=38          
Hamptons Total=50

Cypress Point=3
Pebble Beach=7
Spyglass Hill=48      
Monterey Total=58
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 05:43:13 PM »
The funny thing is the weather on the Monterey Peninsula today is likely to be better than you will find there on many of the days in July & August, when it is foggy, cold and windy. I know there are members at Monterey Peninsula who also have memberships at Corral de Tierra, a course well inland, so they will be able have a place to play in the sunshine during the summer months 

Bill McKinley

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 07:53:33 PM »
assuming good weather, I'd have to go with the Hamptons handily over the Peninsula.  That being said my argument is severely skewed considering I've been to Long Island 3 times and Monterey 0.  But in my mind, the shear volume of awesomeness can't be denied on the Hamptons
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 08:04:20 PM »
This is like comparing the irresistible force vs the immovable object.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 08:31:03 PM »
What happens when you go a little deeper into the lineup? The Hamptons can offer up Maidstone, Southampton and Westhampton in the next three slots with Atlantic and The Bridge also being solid selections. What does Monterray have as a counter?

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
Tim Martin -

There are 36 very good holes at Monterey Peninsula CC, the Preserve and the Pacific Grove muni.

DT

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 09:40:10 PM »
Steve,

Wow, great question. I grew up in New York and have lived in Southern California. Last time I was in LA I stood on a pier and asked a similar question. Would I rather be in New York or LA?

By a thin margin I decided in favor of LA.

But, I will always remember flying from LA to New York just to play golf at Shinnecock. My host, believe it or not, was the waiter at the restaurant in Long Beach where I did a lot of business entertaining. The guy was about 75 years old and in his youth caddied at Shinnecock. Apparently, he was so well liked that several members told him he was welcome to play any time he visited and could even bring a guest.

I was happy to oblige!

The Hamptons or Monterey??? Pretty tough choice.
Tim Weiman

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 11:26:29 PM »

I have played every day of the year on the Monterey courses, I am not sure I could do that in the Hamptons.

If you added Fishers Island to the fray there would be no argument.

Bob

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 07:56:15 AM »
Great golf both coasts. More depth east.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve Lapper

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 10:37:35 AM »
If year-round weather is the determinant, then Monterey.....obviously...duh!:o

Top two in each might argue for a tie, or at least a reasonably close comparison (Shinny & NGLA V. PBGL & CPC).

After that, it is all Hamptons and by a considerable margin. The likes of Friars Head, Sebonack, Southampton, Westhampton, Atlantic, East Hampton, Montauk Downs and The Bridge simply blow away the likes of MPCC, Spyglass, Spanish Bay, Poppy Hills, The Preserve, etc....

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 11:12:19 AM »
I'm an overseas member at one of the main courses mentioned on this thread so I'm probably biased, but, for me, it's tough to beat the Hamptons for just amazing architecture. Monterey and Norcal will win on just about every other metric...

Succinctly and well said.

+1

Mike_Young

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 11:19:38 AM »
There is no answer.... :)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

David Stamm

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 04:24:38 PM »
If year-round weather is the determinant, then Monterey.....obviously...duh!:o

Top two in each might argue for a tie, or at least a reasonably close comparison (Shinny & NGLA V. PBGL & CPC).

After that, it is all Hamptons and by a considerable margin. The likes of Friars Head, Sebonack, Southampton, Westhampton, Atlantic, East Hampton, Montauk Downs and The Bridge simply blow away the likes of MPCC, Spyglass, Spanish Bay, Poppy Hills, The Preserve, etc....

Can Friars be fairly listed? Friars is 50 miles to Montauk.

Monterey is a very small area compared to the courses "in the Hamptons" being mentioned. I say compare Long Island vs SF Bay area down to the Monterey Peninsula. That's roughly the equivalent distance wise.  I think LI would still come out ahead, but there would be some fun comparisons.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

DFarron

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 05:24:43 PM »
Sorry it is Monterey 6 and 5 over Hamptons.... Cypress over Shinnecock, Pebble over National, Spyglass over Maidstone. MPCC Shore equal to or better than both Sebonac or Friar's Head and we haven't even factored in the weather.

And I love Shinnecock and the National!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 03:54:09 PM by DFarron »

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 05:29:02 PM »
Sorry it is Monterrey 6 and 5 over Hamptons.... Cypress over Shinnecock, Pebble over National, Spyglass over Maidstone. MPCC Shore equal to or better than both Sebonac or Friar's Head and we haven't even factored in the weather.

I must have played a different Spyglass than you did.

David Stamm

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »
Sorry it is Monterrey 6 and 5 over Hamptons.... Cypress over Shinnecock, Pebble over National, Spyglass over Maidstone. MPCC Shore equal to or better than both Sebonac or Friar's Head and we haven't even factored in the weather.

I must have played a different Spyglass than you did.

I agree. The Maidstone is far more fun and enjoyable and leaves you with an unforgettable experience. Spyglass? Um....no.....

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2015, 07:59:47 PM »

DF,

Monterrey is in Mexico.

Bob

Brian Finn

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 08:09:56 PM »

Maidstone beats Spyglass 6&5, and I may be among the biggest fans of Spyglass.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 08:51:45 PM »
Brian,
I think you played it before the recent work. Plus, we are not just talking about the merits of Maidstone, we are talking about Maidstone v Spyglass.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 10:24:42 PM »
This is a truly funny thread.  Why do we have to do all this ranking of region vs region, particularly these two.  Anyone on this board would kill to play either line up.

Jim Tang

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 10:49:15 PM »
Both are true golf meccas and among the ten best regions in the world to play golf.  It's a push.

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2015, 10:51:02 PM »
This is a truly funny thread.  Why do we have to do all this ranking of region vs region, particularly these two.  Anyone on this board would kill to play either line up.

Bill,
I've got you on NGLA and Shinny tomorrow at 9 am-enjoy
I'll take the peninsula for the next 3-4 months ;) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back