News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Bacsanyi

Re: Interesting golf courses that have NEVER been mentioned on GolfClubAtlas????
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2019, 11:29:25 PM »
Has Frost Creek in Eagle, CO ever been mentioned?

Outstanding Weiskopf design in one of the most beautiful settings in the Rocky Mountains.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

JeffTodd

Re: Interesting golf courses that have NEVER been mentioned on GolfClubAtlas????
« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2019, 12:11:30 AM »
Ross Golf Club, Killarney Co. Kerry plays within and across the Killarney Races track. The turf of the track is not only an extension of the fairway, but also the thickest, most gnarly lie I can recall. It's a flat and otherwise unremarkable, yet inoffensive, nine-hole course that bends into some awkward contortions after it leaves the confines of the track infield on #4 before returning on #9. 

https://killarneyraces.ie/dining-membership/ross-golf-club/

Frisch Auf Valley, La Grange, TX is another nine hole course in a town better known for a ZZ Top lyric and a whorehouse. Central Texas, outside of the metro areas, is home to a lot of nine hole courses both on the public and private side. Most are straight forward, very basic golf, but Frisch Auf is one of the exceptions. The course plays into a shallow valley from the first tee, which sits alongside a small, half-timbered, German-inspired, clubhouse. There is some nice roll to the land, mature trees in appropriate places, nicely contoured greens, a blind shot, a few testy approaches, and real Vienna Beef Chicago Dogs in the clubhouse.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #127 on: September 17, 2019, 01:22:16 AM »

Outstanding Weiskopf design in one of the most beautiful settings in the Rocky Mountains.

Did this course used to be called Adams Rib?  If so, I saw it during construction, with part of it grown in.  It was a really fun looking layout in an amazing setting.  I remember one of the holes, a par 5, I think, had a bunker in the middle of a green.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Garland Bayley

« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2019, 03:55:26 PM »

Did this course used to be called Adams Rib?  If so, I saw it during construction, with part of it grown in.  It was a really fun looking layout in an amazing setting.  I remember one of the holes, a par 5, I think, had a bunker in the middle of a green.

Their website says used to be Adam's Rib. And, search only gives Rich Goodale mentioning Adam's rib, but he was quoting Genesis.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 03:59:03 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2019, 05:31:27 PM »

Yes, that's the same.  Yes, there is still a bunker in the middle of the 3rd hole.  The place has changed owners once or twice, but it's on a pretty good trajectory now.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

DFarron

« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2019, 02:55:30 PM »
Hawk's Nest, Wooster OH.....if Prarie Dunes and Muirfield Village had a baby it would be this course. Usually in horrible condition.....

Paul Jones

« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2019, 10:31:01 PM »
Louisiana has a lot of course that are less then good. Even Peter Dye said there is only so much you can do with a flat piece of land below sea level.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #132 on: September 24, 2019, 11:36:50 AM »
Louisiana has a lot of course that are less then good. Even Peter Dye said there is only so much you can do with a flat piece of land below sea level.

I figured this course would be on everyone's bucket list!  ;)

https://www.oasisatdeathvalley.com/furnace-creek-golf-course/

David_Tepper

Not sure about never, but I don't recall seeing discussion of Suneagles in Monmouth County, NJ. An AW Tillinghast course, it was for many years the Army's course at Fort Monmouth and not available for outside play. It has been public since the Army base closed a number of years ago. Anyone played it recently?

https://suneaglesgolf.com/ 

Garland Bayley

Search returns mentions on 34 threads. A brief scan would indicate there are 4 threads dedicated to Suneagles. You may be familiar with one of the posters from the past. Someone named David Tepper. ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Bausch

Not sure about never, but I don't recall seeing discussion of Suneagles in Monmouth County, NJ. An AW Tillinghast course, it was for many years the Army's course at Fort Monmouth and not available for outside play. It has been public since the Army base closed a number of years ago. Anyone played it recently?

https://suneaglesgolf.com/

I played it about 7 years ago.  Here is a pretty decent photo album:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/Suneagles/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

jeffwarne

Palatka GC (Palatka, FL)  This course is so much fun and great land movement especially in Florida.  This is the 3rd hole below, one of many great holes.

Palatka!
Wow
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

mike_malone

I have tried to sprinkle in lesser known good courses over the years so I can’t answer this question but I will say the breadth and depth of Philadelphia second tier courses is awesome.
AKA Mayday

mark chalfant

New Paltz 9 holes by Hal Purdy

very affordable $,  easy to walk

Nice greens with gentle contours and a variety of  scenic holes

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back