News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

David_Tepper

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:25:39 PM by David_Tepper »

Ryan Taylor

Re: LINKS Magazine's Top 10 "Worth Discovering"
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 03:00:33 PM »
I can vouch for the Valley Links. Some pictures from my round: (October 2010)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:04:11 PM by Ryan Taylor »
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 05:37:08 PM »
Old Silo is a fun design, but in my experience, the course conditions can be hit or miss. I've played the course probably four or five times and there were a few times the greens weren't great and the bunkers were a mess. However, it's still a fun round.

There are some pretty big elevation changes for a few of the drives and approach shots, many of which offer great views of the hole and/or course.   There are plenty of trees pushed out around the edges of the course, but they're not really in play, which in my mind is a good thing.

The silo on No. 16 is neat and only comes into play if you severely pull your drive, if I can remember correctly.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 12:22:01 PM »
Matt, agreed on Old Silo's conditioning issues. In recent years, they've started to grass over some of the more superfluous bunkers on the course in an effort to cut maintenance costs a bit. I think they had almost 100 when the course opened, which just seemed excessive and proved too much to maintain.

I've played it a few times, most recently last summer when the conditions were outstanding. It's almost certainly one of the two best public courses in Kentucky and a blast to play if the conditions are reasonable. The redan-ish 7th and the half-par 13th and 17th are real standout holes architecturally, while 6 is tough to beat for wow factor. It's a really good course with some outstanding moments, and I'm glad to see it getting some recognition.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Ash Towe

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 07:48:54 PM »
I played at Paraparaumu earlier this year.  It is one of the top 3 courses in NZ.  The hidden gem might be Royal Wellington.  It has been recently renovated and I have not played it yet. Friends, whose opinion I trust speak highly of it.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 08:56:51 AM »
Pine Duynes deserves to be on this list.
I have played it many times and always been pleasedwith the effort to get there.Very economical days golf.
Rustic indeed certainly no frills attached simply just good golf and a wonder of how much better it could be with just a little more money.
The greens are always very grainy, not a critique just a fact,great driving range and a layout that is wonderful.
Well worth the trip gents.
I am always open to organising another a trip there with anybody who is interested.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 02:28:44 PM »
Thanks for the update, Jason. I haven't played at Old Silo since 2009. I think a lot of their issues, including maintenance, stemmed from some mismanagement. I can't speak for the superintendent, but I think they ran through a few pros in the mid-to-late 2000s.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back