News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Re:The Bridge at Bridgehampton and/vs. Friar's Head
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2003, 02:57:03 PM »
Tommy & DMoriarty,

The simple question is, was there anything that Gil wanted to do that he was prevented from doing due to permiting or EI ?

It is a simple question, but as I think I said above, I don't know the answer.  The only restriction of which I am aware is that the drainage which runs through the entire property was off limits.  Not sure whether Gil wanted to build in the drainage or not.  

I'll bet Gil would know . . .

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2003, 03:46:16 PM »
Tommy,

Thanks. Getting back to the subject of this thread, my impression is that Matt Ward is trying to say that if Dave Moriarty or anyone else were to say that they would like to play Friar's Head but would have no interest in playing The Bridge, that must be evidence of bias or an unwillingness to make up one's own mind.

Dave, in my view, reasonably points out that he has no interest in approaching the entire issue through the eyes of a golf course rater. He simply wants to go enjoy the best golf architecture he can find. Period.

It is quite true - or should I say theoretically possible - that The Bridge might be more interesting than Friar's Head and Dave might be missing something to play FH and not The Bridge. But, ultimately, one has to make decisions one what to play or not play and one has to rely on input from others to decide. No one can play every golf course, obviously!

I share Dave's interest in playing Friar's Head and guess what? It is partly based on WHO served as architect. I want to see how Bill Coore's greens turned out. I would like to see the bunker work. Etc.

Do I have a compelling desire to see The Bridge? Not so far. I haven't heard enough to make it a "must see". Among Rees Jones' courses, it sounds like Old Kinderhook inspires more enthusiasm. Wouldn't that possibly make for a more interesting day if I was in that neck of the woods?

I go back to saying one should take the time to visit and play courses one thinks would be enjoyable regardless of the criteria one uses to decide. If you happen to love Pete Dye. Fine. Go everywhere you can to seek out his work. If you like the meeting of land and see, pay the money on go play Pebble. If you like "hard" play Bethpage from the back tees.

But, unless you have unlimited time and money, you can't do it all.
Tim Weiman

DMoriarty

« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2003, 04:00:40 PM »
Tim,

Just to be clear.  I dont think I have mentioned Friar's Head.  Nor do I have any desire to get into a conversation about Friar's Head with Matt.  He hasnt played it and neither have I.

I am limiting my discussion to Matt's description of the Bridge, and hoping he will answer my questions . . .

I understand what you are saying, but I personally would like to keep my focus on the Bridge.

You can talk about whatever you want of course.  

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2003, 04:01:10 PM by DMoriarty »

LI_veteran

« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2003, 04:09:34 PM »
I have played the bridge once. I have played friar's head once. I have played atlantic twice. Am I qualified to enter this discussion.

The bridge is ok. It is a mediocre golf course. Doak would probably give it a similar score, plus or minus a point to what he gave atlantic. So, the potential range is 5-7, I would guess.

Friars head is better than ok. I would wager a fair amount that Doak's score for it would be 8 or 9, maybe even 10.

It is an accident of fate that they opened around the same time and are near each other geographically, but please guys, don't do friars head the disservice of comparing its quality to that of the bridge. Not close for any aspect.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2003, 05:22:17 PM »
LI Veteran,

Would you say that all three sites are equal ?

Would you say that the environmental issues affected the routing and hole design equally for all three golf courses ?

LI_veteran

« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2003, 05:57:05 PM »
I don't play on construction sites. I play on golf courses.

I don't play by environmental codes, I play by the rules of golf.

I have no idea what any of these places looked like 25 years ago. I know how they are this year, to play golf on.

I just don't see what relevance your question has to the quality of the experience I had on these golf courses.

If I were selecting an architect for a challenging site, both in terms of the geology and the enviro issues, then I might conceivably care about your questions, but I am not. I am just trying to play a little golf on our beloved island.

Happy Gilmore

« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2003, 06:16:13 PM »
To All,

I started this thread with an elaborate assessment of the courses and that's not changed a bit. Both have good land. Both had EI issues....one turned out mediocre or underwhelming and one turned out spectacular and overwhelming.....YOU DO THE MATH!

It ain't always about Rees vs. C&C, although given equal starts and equally open budgets there IS a VAST difference in results....again YOU DO THE MATH.

I do respect Matt, Dave, Bill, Geoff, Tommy, Mike, SS1, Pat and LI Vet..but fellas...bottom line:

FH>TB...Period

Let's play another 18!

« Last Edit: September 03, 2003, 06:20:51 PM by Happy Gilmore »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2003, 06:21:24 PM »
Well put Happy. It's about time people responded to the original post although following the soap  opera of posts concerning TB was quite amusing ;)
Mr Hurricane

Nigel_Walton

« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2003, 06:29:40 PM »
I propose a contest.

In an open field (do they still have those in long island?), we bring together Tom Fazio, Rees Jones, Coore & Crenshaw, Tom Doak, Jack Nicklaus and, just to keep you lot honest, Donald Steel.

They can each design 3 holes within a 25 acre parcel. The holes can be of any par or distance so long as the first tee and last green allow for easy transition to the other architects' holes.

That ought to decide this debate once and for all!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2003, 06:51:00 PM »
Please don't confuse me for anyone that would be remotely interested in seeing what the Bridge looks like. I neither the time nor the energy because I will have probably been playing Friars Head #2 another five or six times.

I mean, figure it out Friars Head--The Bridge, Friars Head--The Bridge, Friars Head--The Bridge There is no question that the scales of judgement are heavily leaning to one side, and the only Bridge I want to see while on Long Island is Bridgehampton.

That is my totally bias opinion, and I'm sticking to it!

(Why on earth would anyone ever want to go see the Bridge?                )

My emoticons of laughter..........

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2003, 07:09:34 PM »
Tommy Naccarato,

Given the choice to choose between playing two golf courses,
and making your choice the one you have played, without ever having played the other, would you admit to being heavily predisposed or biased ?

How would you view those who followed your protocol in deciding whether they would prefer to play Shinnecock or NGLA ?

How about Hidden Creek and Atlantic City ?

Bandon Dunes versus Pacific Dunes ?

But, I understand, and could that be the root of the difficulty for an independent school to find impartial referees when playing against an opponent who belongs to a conference ? ;D

larry_munger

« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2003, 08:05:57 PM »
Have not played either but based on all I have seen and heard, if i had 10 rounds 10 at FH none at the Bridge, maybe just a cart tour, it's to hard to walk isn't it! :)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2003, 08:22:17 PM »
Tommy N:

Now -- now my good man from the left coast. ;)

I don't need bazillion yards of length and absolutely zero quality points based on serious architectural merits. That's a stretch and a reinforcement of a stereotype. All I said Tommy was the single-minded focus / obsession with "the look" to the near exclusion of how a course plays.

I have to say that from time to time the Juuuuuursee guy does "get it" although others love to stereotype me. Tommy --I thought you were a much smarter guy than one who mouths off that it's OK to have opinions on courses that they have not played. So be it. ;D

Tommy -- I don't say things, positive or negative, about any course until I have played it. I do make note of what people have said but really don't you think you're statement in your last post is a bit foolish given your passion for the game. ;)

One last thing -- I'll let you know how Ireland turns out as well.  ;D
Tim W:

"Thanks. Getting back to the subject of this thread, my impression is that Matt Ward is trying to say that if Dave Moriarty or anyone else were to say that they would like to play Friar's Head but would have no interest in playing The Bridge, that must be evidence of bias or an unwillingness to make up one's own mind."

You need to re-read what I posted -- not what you THINK I posted. I never said any such thing. All I said is that there are people on GCA who like to float broad generalities about architect's and then others chime in and basically parrot the same thing and on and on the ferris wheel turns. The reality is that very few people have played a wide sampling of an architect's portfolio and on top of that so few have played the course in question (The Bridge). If people chose to forego The Bridge and only play Friar's Head or any other course so be it.

Tim -- you say you've heard plenty of talk about one course and little of the other. That's the same theory that people said about the world being flat. Plenty -- likely millions said the world is flat UNTIL someone proved otherwise. Just like you said about your many visits to Ireland there are different courses for different folks. All I said is that people should avoid CONCRETE statements until they play the course. To do otherwise speaks volumes about the person making such ill-conceived statements.

David M:

Nothing wrong with having people having different tests.

I never made an issue about your tests in golf -- you were the one who raised the comment that my methodology was somehow inconsistent in how I apply it. I don't believe that and have said so a bazillion times.

People like to stereoptype people and I find that when people like me list courses that aren't 8,000 yards with OB and H20 on both sides of EVERY hole they must wonder what's happened to Ward -- I thought he only liked courses with 78+ course ratings and 150+ slopes. How nice to know people care so deeply and how equally nice for them to be so utterly wrong.

Let's answer a few of your questions -- the last time I played SFGC was close to a decade ago. So, I have not played the course since the recent work was completed. From my memory fo the course the question of placement and working the ball off the tee was a big plus to the player who could do such a thing time after time. No, the greens are not as savage as you might find at other Tillie courses -- Fenway and Somerset Hills come quickly to mind of other courses of such length but you still had a fine allotment of different holes and there was enough movement of the holes to keep the player honest at a number of the tees.

The same holds true for the Valley Course because, again, if memory serves, there are enough stout two-shotters to keep the the interest of the longer players. I last played there about five years ago.  

David -- if you came to Long Island I would certainly have you play Shinnecock Hills - the finest course I have played in the States. National would also merit a visit. I also like Garden City GC but on my most recent visits to the club I have become concerned with the "softness" (beyond the rain we have experienced this summer) and that can take away from the outstanding characteristics that make playing there so special IMHO.

I would also have you visit Bethpage Black and as a corollary to that visit also sample the Red Course which is often underappreciated because of the "buzz" the Black generates.

As far as a fifth course I'd have to say playing The Bridge is out because of what you have heard from others and knowing you as I do I think you would probably not gain much from playing there -- let's not forget all the negative crap that people have thrown forward to pollute the waters. With that said -- I enjoyed the layout and I have pointed out over and over again the aspects the course has and those that it doesn't. Clearly, there is plenty of "buzz" about Friar's Head and if I happen to play there it would be interesting to see what everyone is saying.

Given the nature of what I believe you may find compelling I'd probably opt either for The Creek or Piping Rock. Architecturally speaking they have more aspects YOU would find noteworthy than The Bridge although for my $$ I'd rather play The Bridge. Let me also mention that neither The Bridge, Piping Rock or The Creek would make my personal top 100 listing for a numebr of reasons although they are fine courses in a number of ways.

David, given how much you love Rustic Canyon (I do too with one small difference that's been discussed previously) and how it was designed I just believe you would find The Bridge to be too demanding on the tee game and a course that doesn't have enough variety in the routing and shot values to interest YOU. I believe there are quality holes but there are flaws -- as there are with others on the Island (see Maidstone as example). To be totally frank -- that's a guess because until you played it I can't say for sure. It's no different than you telling me if I would like a course or not before I actually played it (remember my e-mail to you regarding Jacobsen's new layout at Moorpark).

David -- you're right -- we do have different approaches to how we assess golf courses. That's healthy -- all I ever said was that people need to play courses for the sure fire way to know whether they will like it or not. All in all, we're not that much different -- it's just like Tom Doak said in "Confidential Guide" -- if people agree about 80% of the time chalk up the rest as a difference of opinion.  

DMoriarty

« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2003, 08:50:00 PM »
Given the nature of what I believe you may find compelling I'd probably opt either for The Creek or Piping Rock. Architecturally speaking they have more aspects YOU would find noteworthy than The Bridge although for my $$ I'd rather play The Bridge. Let me also mention that neither The Bridge, Piping Rock or The Creek would make my personal top 100 listing for a numebr of reasons although they are fine courses in a number of ways.

David, given how much you love Rustic Canyon (I do too with one small difference that's been discussed previously) and how it was designed I just believe you would find The Bridge to be too demanding on the tee game and a course that doesn't have enough variety in the routing and shot values to interest YOU. I believe there are quality holes but there are flaws -- as there are with others on the Island (see Maidstone as example). To be totally frank -- that's a guess because until you played it I can't say for sure. It's no different than you telling me if I would like a course or not before I actually played it (remember my e-mail to you regarding Jacobsen's new layout at Moorpark).

Matt, I guess I should have asked these questions a long time ago.  This is what I have been trying to get at this whole time.  The Bridge just doesnt sound like my cup of tee.  I trust your judgment on that.   If I am wrong, it is my loss.  But I do feel pretty comfortable with my assessment based on your comments and am glad that you agree with me.

As for me being influenced by the anti-hype about the course, I dont think that would be the case.  I have skipped most of the discussion about it in the past.  Even if I hadnt, I dont doubt my ability to think for myself.  

And thanks for your recommendations.  I have played Bethpage once and walked it a few times.  I thought it a very good course, although probably for different reasons than the USGA.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2003, 12:28:35 PM »
David --

If you DO get out this way I'd love to tee it up with you at a few other "hidden" gems -- see my thread under Charles Banks as a case in point.

George Pazin

Re: The Bridge at Bridgehampton and/vs. Friar's Head
« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2008, 05:04:28 PM »
bump
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Michael Felton

« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2021, 06:13:07 PM »
I qualified this week for the Ike this year. The Ike is at The Bridge. The nice touch is qualifying for that means I also qualify for the Met Mid Am this year. That's at Friar's Head. I'm very excited. Went hunting for a thread to see if I could find photo reviews or reviews of either course. Nothing jumping out at me, but I did find this thread and it's a doozy! Great stuff :)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2021, 06:39:28 PM »
I probably met Jeff in the first season of The Bridge, and there has been HUGE changes at The Bridge because of Jeff, the Owner, and others:

https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-jeff-warne/

Friars Head has had many changes too.

It's a tough neighborhood, but Southampton GC is THE gold standard in fun renovation/restoration/updates:

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Michael Felton

« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2021, 07:41:46 PM »
Thanks Mike! That was fascinating! Looking at the google maps views it certainly seems to follow a lot of what we hold dear here. Width in abundance and it doesn’t look wild with respect to green to tee walks, which seemed to be a lot of the criticism I read.

jeffwarne

« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2021, 07:55:54 PM »
Thanks Mike! That was fascinating! Looking at the google maps views it certainly seems to follow a lot of what we hold dear here. Width in abundance and it doesn’t look wild with respect to green to tee walks, which seemed to be a lot of the criticism I read.

Congrats on qualifying Michael!
Bold call on the bump-always interesting to see such passion and anonymous keyboard courage. ;)
The market has certainly seen it differently ;)  than Happy Gilmore but he wasn't wrong with his criticisms, nor Matt with his defense.

Michael, we reduced the walk by well over a mile and eliminated more than 700 feet of green to tee walks.
Friar's Head is a fantastic course and its lofty ranking is well deserved as the course while outstanding in its debut, has continually evolved for the better as well.
Despite the improvements at The Bridge(highlighted by Mike's link) one of the most coveted aspects of The Bridge is the relaxed culture, artsy artsy/hip clubhouse scene highlighted by an emphasis of fun, junior golf and The Bridge Golf Foundation.

Different strokes for different folks
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 07:49:36 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

archie_struthers

« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2021, 10:27:31 AM »
 8)

wow,   Hard to say how much some of those old lurkers are missed by me...quite a commentary

David Wuthrich

« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2021, 10:49:10 AM »
Jeff, well said!

Blonds, Brunettes or Redheads, all beautiful, every person has their favorites! ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2021, 11:02:29 AM »
8)

wow,   Hard to say how much some of those old lurkers are missed by me...quite a commentary

You caused me to go to the beginning and read some. Waste of time!

Arble and Warne provide orders of magnitude more valuable commentary than Mucci and Paul.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Franklin

« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2021, 01:39:18 PM »

Bold call on the bump-always interesting to see such passion and anonymous keyboard courage. ;)
The market has certainly seen it differently ;)  than Happy Gilmore but he wasn't wrong with his criticisms, nor Matt with his defense.

Michael, we reduced the walk by well over a mile and eliminated more than 700 feet of green to tee walks.
Friar's Head is a fantastic course and its lofty ranking is well deserved as the course while outstanding in its debut, has continually evolved for the better as well.
Despite the improvements at The Bridge(highlighted by Mike's link) one of the most coveted aspects of The Bridge is the relaxed culture, artsy artsy/hip clubhouse scene highlighted by an emphasis of fun, junior golf and The Bridge Golf Foundation.

I loved my time at both courses. I only saw TB after the work was done lowering the tees and shortening the walks. The laid back vibe is my cup of tea. Love the clubhouse too.
Mr Hurricane

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2021, 01:50:30 PM »

Reading back, my post from—GASP!—EIGHTEEN YEARS AGO!…(how fucking scary is that?!?!). Wow! What an immature response I had back then!  Especially how my want & need to see everything has refined & evolved!

Jeff, You are to get saluted for what you have accomplished & achieved there at The Bridge all of these years later!

Has my opinion of Rees Jones’ architecture changed?  No. Honestly, it hasn’t…. But recently, I was thinking about The Bridge how it’s interestingly routed amongst him the old race track with portions of the track itself still in existence, but with an added effort to change and evolve the golf…. That’s something to see!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back