News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Trump's plans for Turnberry
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2015, 03:17:27 PM »
Oh where oh where have the micro-contours gone. Big machines on fairways again.
atb

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2015, 07:32:31 AM »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 07:34:39 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2016, 10:45:55 PM »

With the remodelling of The Ailsa almost complete, we have seen an incredible transformation on all aspects of the famous links.
There are now 87 bunkers intricately positioned around the course which have been modified to provide a fair but testing playing experience. The fairway bunkers are now less penal and have been returned to a more natural style which resemble the original work of Philip Mackenzie Ross from 1951. The greenside bunkers have retained the more recent revetted style and will ensure an appropriate penalty for those misplaced approach shots.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2016, 05:24:42 AM »
Thanks for posting Brian. Certainly appears to be an improvement. Hopefully the whole job will be to this apparent standard.

Jon

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2016, 06:42:23 AM »
I was there last week and posted a report on the GCA site a couple of days ago. It's superb, totally spectacular.

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/spectacular-new-look-turnberry-almost-ready-for-its-debut
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2016, 07:04:24 AM »
Adam,

Did you get any extra photos of some of the re-bunkering? Would be interested to see some if you did.

Ally

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2016, 07:12:49 AM »
Adam,

Did you get any extra photos of some of the re-bunkering? Would be interested to see some if you did.

Ally

Yes, not great one. I'll put them up on my Facebook feed later
Adam Lawrence

Niall C

« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2016, 06:45:42 AM »
Adam

Thanks for the update. First time I've seen any photos of the finished work and it does look excellent. Re the 280 yard carry on the back tee at the 10th, is there a bail out area ? Likewise with the new par 3 9th ?

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2016, 06:57:34 AM »
Adam

Thanks for the update. First time I've seen any photos of the finished work and it does look excellent. Re the 280 yard carry on the back tee at the 10th, is there a bail out area ? Likewise with the new par 3 9th ?

Niall

Not really on the ninth; on the tenth the carry depends on what line you take -- the tee is way over to the left, creating a diagonal carry. So even from the back you can bail out to the right if you want.
Adam Lawrence

David Davis

« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2016, 07:35:50 AM »
The changes look amazing! Even better than the mock up digital fly overs. Can't wait to see this in person.

Looks like Martin Ebert and crew have done great things here.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Niall C

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2016, 10:19:17 AM »
Even better news. Turnberry have just got there drinks licence for the drinks buggy.

Can't beat traditional Scottish golf !

Niall

Michael Graham

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2016, 10:27:34 AM »
Even better news. Turnberry have just got there drinks licence for the drinks buggy.

Can't beat traditional Scottish golf !

Niall

Good luck finding a suitable cart girl in Girvan.

Niall C

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2016, 10:53:12 AM »
Steady on there tall chap, one of the denizens of this very site lives in Girvan and if his wife gets to hear..........

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2016, 04:28:59 PM »
The natural sand area on the 4th of the Ailsa is looking good.

Michael Graham

« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2016, 04:16:42 AM »
One of the first 'reviews' of the newly re-opened Turnberry...

http://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/trump-turnberry-1st-review-of-the-new-ailsa

I've only played Turnberry once five or six years ago, there were some interesting holes and the scenery is undeniably lovely but I was rather underwhelmed. I look forward to getting back to see the changes in person, although at £250 (Mon-Fri) for a non-resident it could be a while.

P.S £3,500 for a night in the lighthouse! I hope you get to be Trump's running mate for that sort of money.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2016, 04:49:01 AM »
They had a media event the last couple of days (my colleague Toby was there, I was on holiday in France!) so there'll be quite a lot of Turnberry stuff coming out in the next few days
Adam Lawrence

Greg Taylor

« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2016, 05:33:17 AM »
Andrew Cotter's Twitter feed has some pics too, but they aren't great.

Need some aerial shots!

Niall C

« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2016, 06:03:01 AM »
"It's good... Real good.. I would go as far to say that 10 & 11 are the best 2 looking holes in the UK (that I have seen anyway). Some of the changes will get criticised like 4&5 and the new 14th has its issues but I think the positives out weight the negatives."

The above from someone who played it over the weekend. I look forward to playing it but not at the rack rate, that's for sure.

Re the sandy waste areas, at my club up the coast we did some quite extensive gorse removal over the winter to leave some lovely sandy waste areas. Already they are beginning to self seed with grass (no gorse as yet but I'm sure it will come). Adam recently did a piece or an editorial in Golf Architecture mag about not enough sandy waste areas in UK courses but the question I have is how do you stop them going back to grass or whatever ?

Niall
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:17:33 AM by Niall C »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2016, 08:39:08 AM »
I wonder what effect wind erosion will have on the newly opened up sandy 'waste' areas?
Atb

Norbert P

« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2016, 01:44:33 PM »
  For Turnberry's sake,  Trump running for POTUS may be a blessing.

BTW, are they selling "Make Turnberry Great Again!" hats?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

James Boon

« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »
It was difficult to get past the opening of the review...

"We played it today in near perfect conditions – blue, cloudless skies and almost no wind."

No wind isn't perfect for a links course, philistine! ::)   ;D

Cheers,

James
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 02:50:31 PM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2016, 06:14:22 PM »
I wonder what effect wind erosion will have on the newly opened up sandy 'waste' areas?
Atb

WOuld it not be ironic if having destroyed one nearly unique moving dunes system on the east coast he inadvertently created a new one on the west coast ::)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2016, 03:34:35 AM »
Atb
WOuld it not be ironic if having destroyed one nearly unique moving dunes system on the east coast he inadvertently created a new one on the west coast ::)

Perhaps a method to alleviate wind erosion might be to cover the sandy area concerned with a large red baseball cap! :)

Atb
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 03:37:54 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2016, 04:28:10 AM »
Re the sandy waste areas, at my club up the coast we did some quite extensive gorse removal over the winter to leave some lovely sandy waste areas. Already they are beginning to self seed with grass (no gorse as yet but I'm sure it will come). Adam recently did a piece or an editorial in Golf Architecture mag about not enough sandy waste areas in UK courses but the question I have is how do you stop them going back to grass or whatever

Niall

This is something that has puzzled me for some time. When I look at really old pictures e.g British Golf Links I am amazed how the sandy areas stayed grass free at a time when there were minimal green staff. Some of these features were famous for years. They were not all coastal, Royal Eastbourne and Sandy Lodge had significant sand areas. Today as you say grass growth seems to happen instantly.

I can only conclude that we have introduced MORE varieties of grass that will quickly colonise such areas.  About the only places where you see significant 'blowouts' today are off the golf courses in large areas of natural Dunes.  e.g. the West of Ireland in particular Donegal. I presume there is a type of fescue that dominate and newer varieties haven't' been introduced.

Without wishing to get into difficult discussions it should be pointed out that pure sand is inert and does not support much in the way of nature. Insects and plants do not survive and you will only see birds at the waters edge. The only other possibility I can think of is that rain today contains more nutrients that feed the grass growth?  However with prevailing winds I can't see how the rain that falls on Western Ireland is significantly different from that falling on Eastern Ireland, Scotland, England or Wales?

Anyone know more?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Josh Stevens

« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2016, 04:43:24 AM »
Those bunkers look a bit wild, I thought Donald was a fan of the neat and tidy clipped look?

Would less fertiliser and more sheep and rabbits deal with the grass in the sandy wastes?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back