News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

The tree that almost cost Wie
« on: June 23, 2014, 11:27:23 AM »
Was the reasonably large pine tree that almost cost Wie a lost ball on the 16th hole a transplant or did it appear naturally?  What is the future for that tree?  If i visit in five years will it be taller than me?

Greg Tallman

Re: The tree that almost cost Wie
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:07:25 PM »
Keep stirring but you know full well they did not decide to travel down this path only to ignore volunteer seedlings throughout the course.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 12:13:04 PM »
Keep stirring but you know full well they did not decide to travel down this path only to ignore volunteer seedlings throughout the course.

Seriously, you believe this is the result of a natural seed floating along and taking root.  I honestly do not know what is natural and what was planted.  I hope the tree survives and lives a long and fruitful life.

How long does it take for a pine to grow to that size?

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »
If you have a mild winter (which last winter was certainly not) a seed can become a little tree of that size in a year or two. I'd guess that (if it grew from seed) has been there a couple years at this point.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 01:34:12 PM »
she pulled her ball out from under some wiregrass, not a tree

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 05:17:26 PM »
Ben,

Someone's barking up the wrong tree!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

John McCarthy

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 05:28:30 PM »
Other possible headline:  Wee Tree Causes Wie to Flee
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 07:22:13 PM »
JakaB,

I thought that it was an embedded ball and that the sapling gave the camera a point of reference.

Now, for all those complaining about the scrutiny put on the leaders in terms of rules violations, is the offsetting positive that the constant camera action precludes losing a ball ?

Nigel Islam

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »
JakaB,

I thought that it was an embedded ball and that the sapling gave the camera a point of reference.

Now, for all those complaining about the scrutiny put on the leaders in terms of rules violations, is the offsetting positive that the constant camera action precludes losing a ball ?

I think competitors save many more strokes than they lose from the scrutiny. Not only do popular pros hardly ever lose balls, but they often bounce shots off the crowd and back into play. The occasional incident when viewers call in is offset by this. The caveat is disqualifications often result from the latter.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back