News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian_L

Golf in Iceland?
« on: May 31, 2014, 04:18:48 PM »
Hello All,

I will be traveling to Iceland in July and am thinking about playing a round or two of golf while I am there. I am driving around the island, so I am relatively flexible as to location. What I am looking for is a kind of golf course that I wouldn't find anywhere else (volcanoes, cliffs, Icelandic scenery, etc.). It doesn't necessarily need to be in good shape or have quality architecture (I will be playing with borrowed clubs two inches too short anyway, so I don't expect to play well).  A couple courses that were mentioned to me are:

Vestmannaeyjar Golf Club - http://www.gvgolf.is/
Hella Gold Course - http://golficeland.org/wp/category/s7-golf-courses/hella-golf-course/

But I am very open to other recommendations. Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Ian

Steve Okula

Re: Golf in Iceland?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 05:28:38 PM »
I've never been to Iceland, but I'll throw out a fun fact: Iceland has the highest number per capita of golf courses in the world, with 50 courses and a population of around 322,000, amounting one course for every 6,440 ctitizens.

In comparison, the U.S; has only one golf course for every 20,000 or so.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 06:22:45 PM »
Edwin Roald, sometimes of these parts, is the best known Icelandic architect and I love some of the photos he's thrown up of Icelandic courses at the odd conference. Perhaps he might see this.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 08:02:53 PM »
I've never been to Iceland, but I'll throw out a fun fact: Iceland has the highest number per capita of golf courses in the world, with 50 courses and a population of around 322,000, amounting one course for every 6,440 ctitizens.

Cool fact there!

Jason Hines

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 12:04:17 AM »
Hi Ian,

I have only played two courses in Iceland and I will tell you that Steve’s quoted statistics ring home with the population where as each course was packed with people.

If you are looking for lava beds and you are staying around Reykjavic, I would go with Keilir.

http://keilir.is/english/the-golf-course/

The front was laid out in through a lava bed and the back 9 was and unassuming layout along cliff tops.  The other course I played was:

http://www.oddur.is/golfvellir-go/

I can’t say one was better than the other, however, Iceland in and of itself is such a unique place that where ever you play will be an experience.

Where ever you go, do us a favor and snap and post some photos around your experience!

Ian_L

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 12:32:09 AM »
Thanks Jason, will do!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 04:47:38 PM »
Vestmannaeyjar seems to be the one always mentioned.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 06:00:24 PM »
The other advantage is that sunrise is 4 hrs after sunset in July and I am guessing that even in the four hours between that there is enough light to play.

Ian_L

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 10:10:56 PM »
The other advantage is that sunrise is 4 hrs after sunset in July and I am guessing that even in the four hours between that there is enough light to play.

That's right - I've heard that many courses offer midnight golf if you call in advance. It doesn't sound like too many people here have played in Iceland, but I'd be curious to hear about that as well.

Angela Moser

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 05:07:11 PM »
Hey there GCA community,

do you have any new insights on golf in Iceland? I am planning a trip and wanted to know which of the golf courses are any interesting or maybe you have some cool stories about your time there. It would be cool, if you could share.

Thx!
Angela

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 01:12:10 AM »

So Iceland can keep up with South Dakota. Big Deal.

;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Neil White

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 07:00:24 AM »
Hey there GCA community,

do you have any new insights on golf in Iceland? I am planning a trip and wanted to know which of the golf courses are any interesting or maybe you have some cool stories about your time there. It would be cool, if you could share.

Thx!
Angela

Hi Angela,

You might want to contact Edwin Roald - [size=78%]mailto:info@edwinroald.com[/size] - if you haven't done so already.

Neil.

Bill_Yates

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 04:36:29 PM »
Contact Iceland GCA Edwin Roald. He's a great guy who can answer your questions and who knows all of the courses - many of his design.
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

Tim Leahy

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
50 golf courses and at least from the links in this thread they look very cool. Golf and Icelandic women, I have a new stop on my bucket list. If anyone beats me to it please post some pictures. Golf courses or Icelandic women.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Ian_L

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 12:40:03 AM »
Hi Angela,

I played Hella Golf Course when I was in Iceland and had a great time. I played on a weekday and never ran into another golfer. From what I recall, the course was not an architectural gem but had several interesting holes, and some great views. Looking back at pictures it looks more like a links that I remembered, although it is certainly not a true links.

A few photos linked below, apologies as I can't seem to imbed propertly.

A unique 1st tee shot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bm1i5qrodvgrd35/IMG_1251.JPG?dl=0

1st green:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3yhl8o95y1qh2l/IMG_1252.JPG?dl=0

Looking back at the 18th hole:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4ou0n9e6kzzmjm/IMG_1298.JPG?dl=0

A "cape" hole perhaps??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cx4w505wtbm4lb9/IMG_1290.JPG?dl=0

Some interesting fairway features...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kejpejsrwvfybpr/IMG_1278.JPG?dl=0

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:43:29 AM by Ian_L »

Charles Lund

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 01:07:33 AM »
Thanks for starting thread.

I am traveling back from Ireland to Copenhagen, Sweden, and then iceland.  I will be in Iceland from June 27 to 30, with 22 hours of daylight. 

Charles Lund

David Cronheim

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 01:55:30 PM »
Forgive the blatent copy/paste of an e-mail I sent to my friends after my wife and I got back from golfing in Iceland in June of this year. I'm too lazy while taking a 5 minute work break to edit it...

---------------------

We played the following golf courses:

Westman Island GC (18H off the coast on Westman Island, reachable by plane or car ferry): one of the most dramatic and beautiful golf courses I've ever seen, it's set in the crater of an extinct volcano that faces out to the Atlantic Ocean with views of the skerries (small rock islands) offshore. It's a quirky, fun links course with tons of vistas, a few holes with lava fields and a number of holes that play on huge cliffs directly above the ocean. It's a must-play if you go to Iceland because there's truly nothing like it in the world.
DBC's Rating: 9.5/10

Keilir GC (18H just south of Reykjavik): A short 15 minute drive from the capital, Keilir has two very different nines. The front nine plays through a massive lava field with most of the greens looking like lava-punchbowls. Oddly - there are no bunkers on the front nine. The back nine sits on a cliff atop a small peninsula sticking out into the ocean. If it weren't for the views of the glaciers, you'd think you were in Scotland with pot bunkers and long water views.
DBC's Rating: 8/10

Geysir GC (9H near the Geysir geothermal area/Thingvellir/Gullfoss Waterfall, i.e. the "Golden Circle"): The course was designed to be maintained by a single person (and it shows), but it's worth a visit because it's so close to the geyser and Gullfoss waterfall, both of which are "must-see" attractions. The course itself is set along and across a raging river with beautiful heather lining much of it. It's as close as Iceland gets to a heathland course like the Surrey Sandbelt courses. You'll certainly see the geyser go off though at least a dozen times while you're playing. Nice clubhouse and light play mean you'll whip around in under 90 minutes. Bring bug spray!
DBC Rating: 5.5/10

Brautarholt GC (9H (soon to be 12H) just north of Reykjavik): Brautarholt wins my award for my favorite 9-hole golf course in the world, though 3 additional holes were seeded and almost playable when we visited in June 2016. It's a new course with a decidedly more modern clubhouse and upscale vibe. The owners are dying to have more Americans visit and seem to appreciate that they had something special. When you drive in, you will be absolutely stunned at the movement in the property and the long views across the ocean. Again, if not for the views of the glaciers and huge surrounding mountains you'd think you were at the edge of the world in Scotland or even Mid Ocean. You see and/or play along the ocean on every hole and the holes are definitely architecturally interesting in way that none of the other courses we played were. Someone with some skill gave some real thought to green sites and contours. It's not an exaggeration in the least to say that no fewer than 6 holes would merit discussion as amongst the most beautiful in the world.
DBC Rating: 9/10

Sudurnes GC (18H a ten minute drive from the airport and 20 minutes from the Blue Lagoon): Set along a rolling strip of oceanfront land, Keilir feels like a rolling Scottish links course. It's dramatic by anyone's standard for the word, but is the flattest and least interesting of the 18 hole courses we played.
DBC Rating: 7/10

Other courses we didn't play, but think are worth considering based on the comments from the folks we met and our own research:

Oddur GC (near Reykjavik and Keilir) - another lava-field course that got rave reviews
Vik GC (out past Westman Island on the mainland)
Akureyri GC (northernmost golf course in the world)

18H courses we saw and would probably skip:

Hella GC

A few general notes on golf in Iceland:

1. Be ready to carry your clubs. There are no caddies and few, if any, golf carts. Most places seem to rent pull carts.

2. Dress for the weather. Expect highs in the mid 50's and wind. I was perfectly comfortable in a light rain jacket or windstopper sweater and corduroy pants.  My wife wore rain pants and a jacket. When not golfing, a rain jacket and bean boots are a good call since a lot of the walking trails can be wet or slippery.

3. Many of the golf courses go by more than one name and that name may include non-English character letters. That can be a problem when trying to enter them into the GPS. Bring paper directions and have a map so you at least get a rough idea for where you're going.

4. Greens fees are really inexpensive. I think the most we paid for 18 holes of golf was $60pp. Midweek mornings are the cheapest.

5. A few non-golf places that you absolutely must visit are:

Gullfoss Waterfall*: the largest waterfall in Europe. It's a two-step waterfall that make Niagara Falls look unimpressive.

Thingvellir*: part historic site (home of the early Iceland parliament) and part natural wonder (the tectonic plates are coming apart here creating massive chasms)

Geysir*: geothermal area with bubblers, geysers and the famous "Strokkur" geyser that erupts nearly constantly.

Seljalandsfoss Waterfall: Only about 10 minutes from the landside ferry to Westman Island. It's a huge waterfall that you can actually walk behind.

Aquarium on Westman Island: you can hold a puffin. Enough said.

Blue Lagoon: this might as well be Iceland's national shrine. Every town will have geothermal baths, but this is the largest and most well known. It's a tourist trap for sure, but a very good one. The water is full of silica and you'll leave feeling very refreshed and with smooth skin for days. The swim-up bar is definitely awesome as well. It's very close to the airport as well.

Reykjavik Marina: lots of museums (we liked the Maritime Museum. Museum of Iceland History, Volcano House, and Aurora Center best) and boat tours for whale/puffin watching. I believe helicopter tours of the volcanoes and glaciers leave from the downtown airport that's very close (borderline walking distance).

*part of the Golden Circle

6. Reykjavik is actually a really fun city. There are plenty of bars, restaurants and museums. We stayed at the Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina. I'd highly recommend it. It's a fun, trendy hotel right in the heart of the waterfront in Reykjavik. Hard to go wrong with picking a restaurant. Note that food can be a bit pricey, but includes gratuity which is "never expected, but always appreciated."

7. 24 Hours of Daylight - it never really gets dark in midsummer. Midnight would not be dark enough for streetlights or car headlights in the USA. It can be a bit disorienting because days have no beginning and end to them. It just feels like a block of time. Midnight golf is definitely doable. You won't see the Northern Lights in the summer, though.

8. Hotels book early - there are very few hotels so book early to avoid getting shut out. Most of the country consists of vast open spaces so there just aren't that many places to stay. The Icelandair Hotel brands seem to be the best pretty much everywhere.

9. Driving is easy - there aren't very many roads and it's difficult to get lost except that entering things into the GPS can be a bit of a pain.

10. The food is pretty good, especially if you like seafood or lamb. Expect lots of root vegetables like carrots, onions and lettuce.

Lastly, here's a link to all the photos from the trip.

Regards,

DBC
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 03:19:51 PM »
Fabulous summary and linked photos David. Thanks for sharing.

An Icelandic trip always seemed appealing but add in golf as well and it becomes even more tempting. The photos on the Brautarholt website - http://www.gbr.is/en/ - make it look as amazing as you describe. Westman Island certainly looks dramatic, interesting as well.

I've read in the past of some kind of annual midnight sun open comp held in Iceland and found this - http://www.arcticopen.is

Future Buda venue!?😄

Atb

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 03:26:01 PM by Thomas Dai »

David Cronheim

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 04:00:25 PM »
Thomas,

Brautarholt is perhaps even cooler than it looks in photos. The owners could not have been more excited that pair of Americans had decided to visit. They had a 2 guys from San Francisco visit a few months earlier based on the same Golf Digest article that drew us to Iceland - they thought it was amazing that we had come from America to play their little course.

Westman Island is probably even cooler than the photos do it justice. It's such a massive landscape that it's impossible simultaneouslt to properly capture both the view out to the ocean and the crater of the volcano in which the course located.

Brautarholt feels like a more modern links-style course (think Whistling Straights, Erin Hills, Chambers Bay) rather than a true links course. Westman Island has that perfect amount of "rough around the edges" befitting a course whose first few holes were from the 1930's. Its quirkiness comes more from the landform and less from architectural foresight.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Gary Sato

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 10:27:26 PM »
Last week, Michael Keiser Jr. on a podcast interview with Mitch Lawrence said the Keisers are looking at a site in Iceland? 

Brad Tufts

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 12:12:53 AM »
Maybe the fabled (or Faldoed) Black Sand property?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Angela Moser

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 02:49:37 PM »
wow. Thanks David.

Thats a full review for Iceland. Can´t wait for Brautarholt. Sounds like a great track and great people.

JJShanley

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 03:26:43 PM »
I've always wanted to Icelandair it back to Scotia.  It's a hassle to get from GLA to my folks' house in Edinburgh, but I'd do it once for the sake of it.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 11:19:41 PM »

I listened to it today.  He did say the Black Sands?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 10:21:58 AM »

I listened to it today.  He did say the Black Sands?

That's very interesting. I visited Black Sand with Steve Smyers when he was working on the project. It was a quite remarkable site; huge expanses of bare sand (black, of course), moving around like crazy.

Steve had been there a few weeks previously and staked his routing. We were trying to walk it, and climbed up a dune to where he said he had sited the 16th green. He couldn't find the stake at first, but eventually spotted it. Only about nine inches to a foot of stake was still protruding above the surface -- there'd been five feet or so about three weeks before.

That's how quickly the sand moves around the property. It could host a fabulous golf course but the engineering involved in stopping the sand from moving will be heavy duty
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back