News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Waidmann

Re: What are your favorite and least-favorite courses...
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 09:14:44 AM »
Favorite - Cabot Links (I believe it would exceed my expectations in every way.)
Least - Medinah #3 (I believe it would meet my expectations of mediocrity.)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 09:49:38 AM »
NGLA.         TEHAMA

Joe Hancock

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 10:01:42 AM »
NGLA.         TEHAMA

Pat,

You've never played NGLA???
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Kevin_D

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 10:18:06 AM »
Favorite is, without question, Pine Valley.  I have dreamed of playing it since I was a caddie and would hear the St. David's members talk about occasional trips there.  So many amazing looking holes.  Disclaimer: I am a bit nervous if this happens about bringing my A game.  (note: earlier this year the answer might have been NGLA, but now I've played it - and it exceeded my very high expectations!).

Least favorite - I am going to take this question to mean least favorite highly ranked course.  Using Golf top 100 world, that has to be the current #50 - Trump International Golf Links Scotland.  While I think the Donald did a great job at Doral, and I know Ran sings its praises, the look of the course just doesn't appeal to me.  It seems over-bunkered and the mowing lines look jarring.  Perhaps this is just how it comes across in photos.  I am not opposed to giving the course a try, but if/when I go to Scotland, courses steeped in history will be a lot higher on my list of priorities than TIGL.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 10:47:23 AM »
NGLA.         TEHAMA

Pat,

Next week will be a first for both

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2014, 11:00:47 AM »
Favorite - Cabot Links (I believe it would exceed my expectations in every way.)
Least - Medinah #3 (I believe it would meet my expectations of mediocrity.)

+1 on Cabot Links, it well exceeded mine. 

Joe Hancock

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2014, 02:31:11 PM »
NGLA.         TEHAMA

Pat,

I'm flabbergasted....just flabbergasted, I tell ya! I could've sworn that, over the years, you must have a hundred or more rounds at NGLA considering the level of knowledgeable detail on specifics such as elevation, design intent, etc. concerning the place that you've contributed.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2014, 02:55:29 PM »
NGLA.         TEHAMA

Pat,

I'm flabbergasted....just flabbergasted, I tell ya! I could've sworn that, over the years, you must have a hundred or more rounds at NGLA considering the level of knowledgeable detail on specifics such as elevation, design intent, etc. concerning the place that you've contributed.

Joe

Careful Joe, this could be a trap!   ;D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2014, 03:02:41 PM »
NGLA.         TEHAMA

Pat,

Joe

I'm the kind of moron that takes a man at his word.....Pat's reputation is above reproach.....right?

Kevin_D

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2014, 03:44:30 PM »
NGLA.         TEHAMA

Pat,

Joe

I'm the kind of moron that takes a man at his word.....Pat's reputation is above reproach.....right?

There must be some catch, like "this year"

Joe Hancock

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2014, 05:10:24 PM »
NGLA.         TEHAMA

Pat,

Joe

There must be some catch, like "this year"

"Never" has no loopholes.

Joe

Jason Thurman

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2014, 05:29:46 PM »
I am going to take this question to mean least favorite highly ranked course.

I'm actually just looking for least-favorite course. No need for it to be highly ranked. However, lowly-held courses generally don't elicit the kind of vitriol that would make someone dislike them before playing.

I don't hate Cassell Creek Golf Course in Winchester, KY, for instance. It looks pretty mundane, but I'm mostly indifferent to it. Cog Hill, on the other hand, makes my life a little worse just by existing.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2014, 05:36:24 PM »
Favorite: TOC. Nudging out North Berwick (but these two will be off the list this August! :) ) Fishers Island, and Cypress Point.
Least: Oak Hill. If it really as over-treed as people here say, my head will explode.

Tim Martin

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2014, 05:58:48 PM »
Fave: Pine Valley
Least Fave: Atlanta Athletic Club

Judge-Atlanta Athletic Highlands is just way too hard for the average player. All your eye picks up off the tee are nests of flanking fairway bunkers. Errant approach shots leave limited options for recovery and there are an awful lot of holes that can wreck your card without very precise shot making. Kind of soulless really. It will be interesting to hear the feedback at this years US Amateur. On the flip side there is a ton of really cool Bobby Jones history and memorabilia to be taken in and a great clubhouse.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:01:17 PM by Tim Martin »

Paul Gray

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2014, 06:28:28 PM »

"Never" has no loopholes.

Joe

Since when has that stopped him?   ;D
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Nigel Islam

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2014, 10:41:11 PM »
NGLA for favorite

Belterra in Indiana for least favorite

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back