News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

What are your favorite and least-favorite courses...
« on: May 30, 2014, 05:03:23 PM »
... that you've never played.

A recent rash of very confident opining on courses that people have never played has got me thinking, what are your favorites? And which ones do you hate?

My favorite is Augusta National. With all due respect to Oakmont, The Old Course, and Cypress Point, Augusta National wins because it is without a doubt the course that I have the most local knowledge on of all the courses I haven't played. I feel like I know exactly where to hit it on most holes and exactly how to use the slopes around the greens to feed the ball toward the hole. Sure it's tough and I might not execute, but I at least won't try anything completely stupid. Well, unless I get behind a tree on 13, because in that case I'd be tempted to try something stupid that I saw somebody on TV do once.

My least favorite is probably Cog Hill Dubsdread. I've had so many great chances to play it, but never really thought about it. I'm not interested. It's a slog with no strategy and silly tiered greens and too heavily emphasizes the aerial game, and I say all that with the irrational confidence of a child who knows he will hate chicken tenders and therefore has no reason to try them. Honorable mention to Belle Meade.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Matthew Lloyd

Re: What are your favorite and least-favorite courses...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 05:20:43 PM »
Cypress Point is my favorite yet-to-be-played course -- my only hesitation in playing there if given the opportunity would be the 0.05% chance that it wouldn't live up to my expectations.

Out of the "great" courses, my least favorite yet-to-be-played course would be The Old Course -- I may be struck down while typing this, but history and lore aside, it just doesn't look that great to me. I'm quite certain I would proven wrong on this -- countless people have told me so -- but until I see it for myself, this gets my vote.

If I can officially prove/disprove my position on either course in the next 25 years I will consider myself a very lucky man.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 05:26:51 PM »
Yet-to-be favorite--Cypress Point
Yet-to-be least favorite--Harbor Town. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 05:39:38 PM »
Cypress Point is my favorite yet-to-be-played course -- my only hesitation in playing there if given the opportunity would be the 0.05% chance that it wouldn't live up to my expectations.

Out of the "great" courses, my least favorite yet-to-be-played course would be The Old Course -- I may be struck down while typing this, but history and lore aside, it just doesn't look that great to me. I'm quite certain I would proven wrong on this -- countless people have told me so -- but until I see it for myself, this gets my vote.

If I can officially prove/disprove my position on either course in the next 25 years I will consider myself a very lucky man.

Possibly the funniest thing I've read on this site.  (You are kidding, right?)

Sam Snead looked out the window when the train passed the course and said something like, what's that, an old abandoned course?   Bobby Jones picked up after several flails in one of the pits of despair on the Eden hole.   I was so excited about playing it the first time I couldn't get to sleep the night before!

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 05:40:35 PM »
Favorite: Peachtree

Least Favorite: Augusta National, For the exact opposite reason of Jason. The thing I enjoy most about playing a new course is discovering the flow and character of the course as it unfolds in front of me. While I would never turn down an invitation, after walking the course at least a half dozen times and watching the masters for the past 20+ years I don't think there would be much discovery while playing it for the first time.

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 05:43:17 PM »

Sam Snead looked out the window when the train passed the course and said something like, what's that, an old abandoned course?   Bobby Jones picked up after several flails in one of the pits of despair on the Eden hole.   I was so excited about playing it the first time I couldn't get to sleep the night before!

Hahaha, I know.  I am 99% sure I would be proven wrong about The Old Course.  My pick is totally irrational, illogical and I'm sure wrong.  But that's how I feel until I actually set foot on the grounds.  In this instance, I'm putting the burden of proof on the course.  I know, it's irrational.

Michael Felton

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 05:44:31 PM »
Favourite I think is probably either NGLA or Cypress Point

Least favourite is much harder to do, but I think maybe Pebble Beach. So much money to play it and it has houses on it. Plus I hear things like that if it was picked up and moved five miles inland no one would have ever heard of it.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 05:45:35 PM »
Favorite- NGLA

I have read the write up by Ran and so many others and then I saw it on TV and it struck a cord in me. Would love to just walk it, even if I couldnt play it.

Least favorite - Seminole

I am sure it is awesome and I love Donald Ross courses- but I live in Florida - and for the most part - I think the golf sucks down here.
I am sure this would be the exception, but without playing it, it is the course I am least interested in.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 05:47:23 PM »

Hahaha, I know.  I am 99% sure I would be proven wrong about The Old Course.  My pick is totally irrational, illogical and I'm sure wrong.  But that's how I feel until I actually set foot on the grounds.  In this instance, I'm putting the burden of proof on the course.  I know, it's irrational.

Get your passport and start preparing the trip, you really do have to go.    And read some books on the Old, it will seduce you.  That's what happened to me.  I knew the names of all the bunkers before I got there.  

BHoover

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »
Favorite yet-to-be-played: Royal Melbourne -- from what I've seen on TV and read here on GCA and other sites, there's nothing about RM that doesn't interest me, except that it's literally on the other side of the planet.

Least favorite yet-to-be-played: Pebble -- of the great courses I can think of, this is probably the one I have the least interest in playing. Seems too corporate and like a golf factory and the hefty price tag doesn't make it any more appealing.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:54:06 PM by Brian Hoover »

Paul Gray

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 05:59:40 PM »
Favourite has to be Swinley Forest and I'm a little annoyed that my anticipated game there has just fallen through. Then again,  I've not ventured onto so many great courses so I could just suggest half of Scotland, Australia, Nebraska and so on!

Least favourite, in Britain at least, has to be Wentworth. Just to keep Pat happy, I'll give an honourable mention to Trump Aberdeen!

In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 06:34:10 PM »
Favorite- North Berwick
Least Favorite- Liberty National
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Rees Milikin

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 07:09:30 PM »
Favorite: Sand Hills - This CBS video did it for me, not to mention comments from those who have played it: http://youtu.be/jCXQmH48CZs
Least Favorite: TPC Sawgrass - For a well known course, I have little desire to play here.  However if it returned to its original intent, I would change my mind.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 08:32:07 PM »
Fav unplayed would be CPC and Augusta.
Least fav would be Pinehurst 2. Bores me to tears on tv. No place I want to visit.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 10:12:07 PM »
Favorite...Sunningdale Old

Least Favorite...Carnoustie
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 10:18:57 PM »
Favorite unplayed...Royal Melbourne and or Kingston Heath
Least favorite unplayed...Oakland Hills South
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Chris Luce

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 10:37:15 PM »
Favorite unplayed...NGLA or possibly Dornoch.
Least  Favorite...Firestone

Sam Morrow

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 10:40:22 PM »
Favorite unplayed The Old Course
Least Favorite Unplayed Baltusrol

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 10:42:56 PM »
Favorite-Forest Dunes
Least Favorite-Arcadia Bluffs

-Ben Cowan

BCowan

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 10:55:31 PM »
Favorite-Forest Dunes
Least Favorite-Arcadia Bluffs

-Ben Cowan
;D

Favorite- Royal Melbourne or Prairie Dunes
Least- Augusta National or Pebble

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 07:22:06 AM »
Least : liberty National
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 08:19:30 AM »
Favourite - Old Macdonald
Least - Wentworth 

And for China

Favourite - Tiger beach (soon TD's course)
Least - Stone Forest (have walked, it's a world heritage site FFS...)
@Pure_Golf

Bill Gayne

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 08:41:03 AM »
Cypress Point and Troon.

Dan Herrmann

Re: What are your favorite and least-favorite courses... New
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 08:48:34 AM »
Favorite never played:  Old MacDonald (airfare is too expensive these days :( )
Least favorite never played: FDR, Philadelphia PA
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 07:51:01 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 09:00:24 AM »
Fave: Pine Valley
Least Fave: Atlanta Athletic Club
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back