News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mike Hendren

Firm and Fast and the Small Ball
« on: May 29, 2014, 09:36:50 AM »
Was the 1.62" ball better suited for firm and fast playing conditions in GB&I?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Firm and Fast and the Small Ball
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »

Was the 1.62" ball better suited for firm and fast playing conditions in GB&I?

Good question

Certainly it's better suited for the wind

Bogey

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
While the same weight, I assume today's ball rolls out farther than the small ball.  Frankly, I could have used a square ball at Walton Heath.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Nigel Islam

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 10:12:59 AM »
What year did they go away from the small ball?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 10:14:37 AM »
I found the short game shots more difficult with the small ball, but it was definitely a bit longer.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 10:35:47 AM »
I would actually assume the opposite.  I would think the larger ball would be less affected by bumps and easier to control the roll out.

Kind of similar to why a lot of mountain bikes are going to 29" wheels vs. 26" wheels, albeit at a much smaller scale.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 10:38:23 AM »
The very best players in the north of Scotland in the 1980's played the small Pinnacle.  It bored through the wind like a knife through butter and when putting, the hole looked like a bucket in comparison.

PS--my 1st hole in one was at Spyglass #12 with a small ball (dunlop 65) when it was illegal in the USA.  Does this count?
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 10:42:06 AM »
While the same weight, I assume today's ball rolls out farther than the small ball.  Frankly, I could have used a square ball at Walton Heath.

Bogey
with the smaller diameter it meets less wind resistance and flies farther. Since, for most golfers the fflight portion is longer than the bounce roll sector, the small ball was longer. This should be true no matter the conditions.

Having both a 1.62 and 1.68 ball was the genesis of the one-ball rule, which is largely outdated.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 10:42:52 AM »
The small ball also flew on a bit lower trajectory, which was better suited to the UK than the US.

The changeover for The Open and The Amateur was in 1979.  The small ball was not phased out for normal club players for many years afterwards.  It wasn't done on a target date per recent Rules changes; instead, there was a natural progression of the small ball being deemed off limits for competitions by the better players, who had switched to play the bigger ball for bigger competitions.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 11:12:05 AM »
The small ball was better in the wind..mass per unit volume and all that. ;)
It also apperaed to sit down in the rough more than the big ball, I guess for the same reason, but the wind was the big difference when I changed over.
I played some of my early Junior golf playing tha small ball and remember the change over very well.
It was at the time the Penfold Ace was still a great ball and I played the big ball Penfold for a number of years before taht company went belly up.
At that time changed to Dunlop, maintaining my British loyalty and didnt move from them until Nike started making golf balls, at about the same time that Dunlop quit producing a high end competitive ball to play with.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 11:20:14 AM »
Virtually June and I've not played a firm and fast course yet this year, links courses included. Firm and fast is only possible if Mother Nature plays ball.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 12:03:11 PM »
Dunlop 65's & Warwicks, Penfolds, Uniroyals, Slazengers names to recall from many moons ago.

Also, many years after the 1.62" disappeared from the shelves - but not from shagbags - a 1.72" ball was available for a period - the Topflight Magma. Anyone ever play it?

atb

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 12:13:01 PM »
I just remember how impossible it appeared to get that ball in the air from the fairway.

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 12:39:07 PM »
According to John Jacobs' memoirs, had it not been for WWII, Britain would have abandoned the small ball in the 1940's. None other than Roger Wethered led a movement to abandon the small ball after WWII. However, given the damage, destruction and financial loss that so much of Britain suffered in WWII, the R&A decided not to make the golf ball manufacturers in Britain absorb the expense of retooling their factories to produce the bigger ball.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 02:33:24 PM »
Dunlop 65's & Warwicks, Penfolds, Uniroyals, Slazengers names to recall from many moons ago.

Also, many years after the 1.62" disappeared from the shelves - but not from shagbags - a 1.72" ball was available for a period - the Topflight Magma. Anyone ever play it?

atb

I thought the Magna was 1.80"?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 05:20:34 AM »
There was a pretty widespread belief in British golf for many years that learning with the small ball hindered our players' ability to compete with the Americans. One of Henry Longhurst's best known Sunday Times columns was on the subject, and headed 'This Miserable Pellet'.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back