News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Gallagher

Re: GB&I courses you wish you hadn't played
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 07:55:31 AM »
Only one, Doonbeg. It happens to have 4 or 5 poorly conceived holes that wreck it.
 Every other course I've played in Ireland has been a pleasure to behold including The Island in a gale and Old Head in another gale. Both experiences taught me the true meaning of the term "Peltin' down stones."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2014, 09:12:48 AM »
I've never played a course in GB&I that I didn't enjoy.  Not even close. 

Ken Moum

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2014, 10:30:02 PM »
I hate to admit it, but I've played Jubilee twice and have NO interest in a third attempt.

Its just too damnmed hard for my limited skills.  Last year I played Elie and Jubilee on back-to-back days and the experience only cemented my feelings about it.

Even with writing down several 7s on the card when the real score would have been higher, I barely got within 25 strokes of the score at Elie.

While we were on the tee, the starter asked us if we'd let a couple guys playing a Leuchars Club championship match join us for their extra holes. We happily agreed, and even they had a couple of holes halved in double bogey or worse.  The match concluded when one of them couldn't finish a hole.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

jeffwarne

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2014, 04:40:02 AM »
I've never played a course in GB&I that I didn't enjoy.  Not even close.  

+1

If you've done your homework (GCA photo tours and reviews),
there are many, many hundreds of courses worth playing in GB&I.
Seems you'd have to go out of your way to find one you'd regret.

Of the ones mentioned, it would seem all have been panned quite a bit here so expectations would have to be checked quite a bit going in, so it would seem quite hard to be disappointed.
I played Mount Juliet way before GCA and didn't regret it all.
Beautiful estate and a beautiful spot-though not something I would've picked on my own.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:25:25 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Scott Warren

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2014, 04:41:00 AM »
Thanks Ken - I long suspected Elie was too bloody easy, since Mark Pearce got down to single figures playing there! ;D

Mark Pearce

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2014, 05:18:29 AM »
Scott,

Actually the key rounds in my plummet to single figures were played at Crail as well, including one (gross 83 against CSS of 77) on the ball-breaking Craighead.  No denying that Elie is very open to low scoring, though. 

Congratulations, by the way, though I suspect one side effect of fatherhood will be an inflated handicap.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

James Boon

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2014, 08:46:26 AM »
A friend of mine says, and I'm sure many of you have heard or said it also, "life is too short to play bad golf courses"!

However, I can't think of any courses I've played that I wish I hadn't? A few come close, but how would I know how bad they are without giving it a go myself first? There are therefore plenty I wont be going back to, but none I wish I hadn't played. Most of these are local to me, but there are a few better known courses I'm certainly not rushing back too...

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

astavrides

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2014, 08:54:41 AM »
I hate to admit it, but I've played Jubilee twice and have NO interest in a third attempt.

Its just too damnmed hard for my limited skills.  Last year I played Elie and Jubilee on back-to-back days and the experience only cemented my feelings about it.

Even with writing down several 7s on the card when the real score would have been higher, I barely got within 25 strokes of the score at Elie.

While we were on the tee, the starter asked us if we'd let a couple guys playing a Leuchars Club championship match join us for their extra holes. We happily agreed, and even they had a couple of holes halved in double bogey or worse.  The match concluded when one of them couldn't finish a hole.

K

Thanks for posting that. I had to walk in at Jubilee after 13 or 14 holes because I ran out of balls. At the time, I had only been playing avidly for a year or two, so I thought it was just me.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2014, 08:55:47 AM »
I've never played a course in GB&I that I didn't enjoy.  Not even close. 

Of the ones mentioned, it would seem all have been panned quite a bit here so expectations would have to be checked quite a bit going in, so it would seem quite hard to be disappointed.
Beautiful estate and a beautiful spot-though not something I would've picked on my own.

Not to go all Mucci on you but did you actually read what I wrote?   ;D :P ::)

Ryan Coles

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2014, 11:15:46 AM »
The Struie at Royal Dornoch.

Played it between rounds on the championship course (which is my all time no 1) and didn't enjoy it. In 2005 most fairways were lined with impenetrable gorse. In 3 return visits, haven't given it another chance.

I suspect it's a lot better than I give it credit for but I prefer Golspie and Tain.

jeffwarne

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2014, 11:24:58 AM »

Sorry it was supposed to have a "+1" (and now does)
I was agreeing with you ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2014, 12:28:02 PM »

Sorry it was supposed to have a "+1" (and now does)
I was agreeing with you ;D

Ha ha, I'll go Mucci on myself!

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2014, 12:47:34 AM »
The worst golf course I have ever played is undoubtedly Marple GC, a couple of miles from my home. I played there a few weeks ago in an inter-club match. Not only were the greens in worse condition than the semi-rough at most courses, but the place is a death trap, with blind tee-shots over crossing fairways!

Do I wish I hadn't played it though? No - the beer, company, and food was good, and the all-in price was £9.00. Even playing a crap course beats a night in front of crap telly...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:51:25 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2014, 02:08:14 AM »
Ryan give it another go.
Cave Nil Vino

Greg Taylor

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2014, 03:41:10 AM »
Cashen Course at Ballybunion... The E***n... Doonbeg... first two because the wind was up and they were beyond hard... and the latter because I forked out serious wonga and it wasn't value for money... I've played the West course at Wentworth but a freebie... if I'd have paid whatever it is they ask it would be the same story I suspect.

Bad golf is better than no golf though...!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 09:41:06 AM by Greg T »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2014, 09:03:59 AM »
Cashen Course at Ballybunion... The European... Doonbeg... first two because the wind was up and they were beyond hard... and the latter because I forked out serious wonga and it wasn't value for money... I've played the West course at Wentworth but a freebie... if I'd have paid whatever it is they ask it would be the same story I suspect.

You better hope Pat Ruddy doesn't see that!   I will never forget his lash out at Tiger Bernhardt in these very pages.   

Carl Johnson

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2014, 09:35:26 AM »
Carnoustie.  As a golf tourist from America my experience has been limited to about 25 "name" courses.  I actually scored pretty well (for me) at Carnoustie, but found the course too long (we were required to play at about 6,900 that day), too flat and too boring (except for the opening couple of holes or so).  On top of that, the marshalls were "not friendly."

Greg Taylor

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2014, 09:41:35 AM »
Cashen Course at Ballybunion... The Eu***n... Doonbeg... first two because the wind was up and they were beyond hard... and the latter because I forked out serious wonga and it wasn't value for money... I've played the West course at Wentworth but a freebie... if I'd have paid whatever it is they ask it would be the same story I suspect.

You better hope  doesn't see that!   I will never forget his lash out at Tiger Bernhardt in these very pages.   

Amended....!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2014, 09:48:31 AM »

Played it between rounds on the championship course (which is my all time no 1) and didn't enjoy it. In 2005 most fairways were lined with impenetrable gorse. In 3 return visits, haven't given it another chance.

I suspect it's a lot better than I give it credit for but I prefer Golspie and Tain.

I've been a member at Dornoch since 1981 and fully agree with you, Ryan.  Actually, most of the current 18 holes are not bad (and some are superb), and much of the gorse has been cut down, and the views up to the town and down the Kyle of Sutherland can be fantastic, but the routing is a complete disaster.  I've tried in vain for the past 10-15 years to convince the Council to use the huge amounts of money they have accumulated from visitors to turn the Struie land into a world-class 27-hole complex--a 3600 "championship" 9, built around the"Hiseman" 5 built ~10 years ago ; a cunning 3200 "sacred" 9, incorporating most of the surviving Old Tom Morris Holes; and a beginners/geezers 2,800 9 that could stand on its own or be mixed and matched with the other 2 nines, as appropriate.  Alas, more of the powers that be want to spend their dosh on a new clubhouse (as if that were needed!) rather than better golf.  Tis a pity....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

John Crowley

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2014, 09:48:59 AM »
Windy Hill in Glasgow.
The jerk (client) i was playing with had something to do with it.

John Crowley

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »

I've been a member at Dornoch since 1981 and fully agree with you, Ryan.  Actually, most of the current 18 holes are not bad (and some are superb), and much of the gorse has been cut down, and the views up to the town and down the Kyle of Sutherland can be fantastic, but the routing is a complete disaster.  I've tried in vain for the past 10-15 years to convince the Council to use the huge amounts of money they have accumulated from visitors to turn the Struie land into a world-class 27-hole complex--a 3600 "championship" 9, built around the"Hiseman" 5 built ~10 years ago ; a cunning 3200 "sacred" 9, incorporating most of the surviving Old Tom Morris Holes; and a beginners/geezers 2,800 9 that could stand on its own or be mixed and matched with the other 2 nines, as appropriate.  Alas, more of the powers that be want to spend their dosh on a new clubhouse (as if that were needed!) rather than better golf.  Tis a pity....

Rich,
I agree, Struie does have potential with several really good holes and that the new clubhouse in not where the club's GBPs should be applied.

OChatriot

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2014, 10:30:33 AM »
I wouldn't say I regret playing there but my biggest disappointment was at the Belfry Brabazon course.
Still perplexed as to why it was ever chosen as a Ryder Cup venue. Surely GB and I has much better to offer? I hope it will never return there. And it's a golf tourist trap: expensive with a very average hotel. The food is to forget too.

Now for the course, for all it's reputation, it's a cramped and claustrophobic affair. The design is boring, some holes are worth noting and at least look visually good (4th, 8th, 9th), but some are just plain silly (6th) or just bad (11th). The famous pair of 10th and 18th are not especially good, the fun is merely found in reading the plaques that mark famous shots. They do not compete one second with dozens of better holes you find at so many classic gems all around the Isles. A total over-hyped miss. Avoid.

We were a society. They threw us first on their Derby course which is dull, short and lacks character. Thanks.  We then took 5.5 hours to go round the Brabazon...
Thankfully we got to play the PGA National course which is fun, visually beautiful, tough, varied and makes you travel in wide open spaces. Inland links style, with lots of options everywhere. (but do not try to catch the 2nd green in two! It's tempting, but the right contour of the green pulls balls in the water, including mine obviously...) Only downside is the 18th which is a bit disappointing. Narrow, over bunkered, watered, but hey, you are then back to the clubhouse and next to the Brabazon...it must be contagious.
This one is a hit and should you travel to the Belfry save yourself time and money and play the PGA course.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2014, 09:02:04 AM »
I've played 71 in GB&I and the only round I regret is one I played at Lytham & St Annes... not because of the course, but because it was pouring rain and I mostly just remember looking at the ground as I trudged along... plus, I lost a few quid to the Baildon Butcher.  :(

Oh come on...it wasn't that bad  ;D ;D
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Chris Cupit

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2014, 10:46:58 AM »
Kilkeel in Ireland.  It was the second course for the Amateur when Royal County Down was the primary course.  Obviously that's like having dates on successive nights with Christie Brinkly and David Brinkly (yes, showing my age)  :D  I am pretty sure Kilkeel featured not one, but two, 90 degree dogleg left holes, which not surprisingly fit in perfectly with my normal driver shot pattern.

There was some course, The Rolls of Monmoth which was pretty but not the reason I traveled overseas.

Nairn though only because is was played in a pouring down rain with a temperature of about 40.  We should have just drank or continued our drive to Dornoch.

The "best" course I've played over there that I would not go back for was Gleneagles.  Didn't do anything for me and if stranded there I'd grab my wedge and head out to the "wee links" par 3 course instead.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2014, 12:33:10 PM »
Which course at Gleneagles, Chris?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back