News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Bielawa

College Golf - Where would you play?
« on: May 17, 2014, 09:23:24 AM »
With NCAA's coming up, I got to thinking about why some schools have better programs than others.

If you had to pick a school to attend, how much impact would the quality of the home course have in picking a school?  Or would things like academics, coaching, geography, program tradition, co-eds, depth chart, etc... have more of a role?   Then after all of those decisions, where would you go to play?

Matthew Petersen

Re: College Golf - Where would you play?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 09:38:29 AM »
With NCAA's coming up, I got to thinking about why some schools have better programs than others.

If you had to pick a school to attend, how much impact would the quality of the home course have in picking a school?  Or would things like academics, coaching, geography, program tradition, co-eds, depth chart, etc... have more of a role?   Then after all of those decisions, where would you go to play?

I think #1 is what kind of scholarship offer you're getting. For golf, they're usually limited, if anything is offered at all, so that's significant.

The part of the country would be a big thing for me. Yale is an amazing course, I have no doubt, but you can't play there for a significant portion of the year.

Augusta State surely comes to mind. I know the National isn't their home course, and frankly the town of Augusta is not a big draw, but it seems like the guys on that team do get the chance to play there and at ACC from time to time.

Stanford gets points for location, weather, and a good course as well.

USC and UCLA would be hard to beat. Among their "home courses" USC counts LACC and Riviera. UCLA has Bel Air.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 09:40:53 AM »
Taking all factors into consideration, assuming that the individual would make the golf team, U. of Texas-Austin.  Its not-for-students golf course would not get high marks from this group, but it is the type where good players can develop their games.  With Austin GC, Spanish Oaks, and Barton Creek- Canyons nearby and likely accessible to the well-connected golf team, it is all the golf anyone could wish for.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 09:42:28 AM »
St. Andrews.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 10:15:03 AM »
1.  Yale
2.  Michigan
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »
Somewhere with a WARM climate AND great academics.  Stanford, USC, UCLA, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Florida State, etc....I would shy away from any northern schools.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Parker Reeves

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 10:28:52 AM »
First off, great question.  I used to coach golf at the Division I level and I think there are a ton of factors that go into a college decision as you said.  As a young player, one really needs to be able to look ahead and not just at the school name.  The player needs to evaluate their game and be honest with themselves about where they will be the best fit.  A highly recruited athlete will of course have lots of options and will be able to pick and choose more freely including looking at the other recruits in their class and determining where they would best fit in.  Along the lines of your thoughts, I've organized mine in the order I think they should take precedent.

Again, being honest with your self-assessment is key.  If you plan to play professionally or think you might, and honestly have the talent, then academics might be lower on your standards (not that this is how it should be...the chances of making a career out of the game are extremely small without a very high skill level and/or lots of money).

-Coach - This person is going to essentially be your boss for the next 4-5 years.  A player needs to understand the coach's philosophy and beliefs regarding the team and be willing to do whatever is asked of them.

-Many people will say go somewhere you know you can play.  I don't disagree with that thought, but I also feel that if you are afforded the opportunity to go to a program that might have better players than you, this can really help your game if you are the type of person who can be patient while getting better.

-$ obviously can be a determining factor.

-Location is also a major factor.  Do you want to stay close to home?  Get away from home?  Go somewhere warmer or cooler?

-Academics - I will put this in the middle as it really changes based on the person.

-School size - Are you looking for a smaller, private campus or a larger state-school type atmosphere.

-Tradition - To be honest, I would personally have a hard time making this the bottom of the totem pole if I were in the recruit's situation.  Basing your decision solely on the fact that that school has had success in the past is a tough one.  The coach may have changed, the players who had this success are likely not all still there, other schools may be getting the best recruits now, etc.  Tradition is important if the coach and facilities are the same or better than they were, but basing your decision on the name alone can be dangerous.

I know this doesn't really answer your question about where I would play, but it's just some food for thought.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:15:06 PM by Parker Reeves »

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 11:40:13 AM »
I don't think the quality of the home course would play much into this type of situation, at least IMO it shouldn't. The other aspects (academics, location, coaching, quality of program/competition) would all be more important. From a competitive golfers standpoint, I think you have to consider the quality of the practice facility at least as much as that of the course. I would look at the course to see if it fit my game more than I would for architectural interest. I totally agree with Parker's comment that it all comes down to best fit.

The vast majority of college golfers will never make it as professionals, and should prioritize academics and the school itself. Part of this is figuring out what to study and what schools offer those programs. For those that have the pick of any school they want, then it still comes down to prioritization--but most top schools have an adequate or better course and that's enough from a competitive standpoint.

Brian Finn

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 11:56:25 AM »
If I were an aspiring tour player, I would target the best year round weather, easy access to top practice facilities and several challenging courses.  I suppose Arizona State, UCLA, and Florida would lead my own version of that list.  Stanford would be an option as well. 

If I were using golf as a ticket to help gain entry into the best schools, possibly with a partial scholarship, I would steer more toward Yale, Northwestern, Duke, and a few others.  Of course, some schools like Stanford seem to overlap this category and the 'tour' track. 

If you take me 20 years ago when I was looking at colleges and said I could play golf at the schools I was considering, I probably would have gone to Duke or UNC.  Maybe even Notre Dame, where I always wanted to go anyway, but when I started in 1995, the golf course was reduced to 9 holes and it was a bit of a hike to Blackthorn.  Plus, the weather sucks. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 12:30:06 PM »
Southwest Oregon Community College
 :D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Greg Tallman

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »
1. West Virginia University
2. Clemson
3. College of Charleston
4. Texas
5. Stanford
6. TCU
7. LSU
8. Duke
9. Florida
10. Glenville State University  :)

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 01:16:55 PM »

And finally, and perhaps most importantly, the chicks are the hottest in the SEC.

Pretty simple actually ;) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 01:38:59 PM »
I'm surprised Panhandle Bill hasn't chimed in with UCSB or Cal Berkeley. Cal has won championships, produced walker cuppers and has playng privileges all over the bay area. Hosts their tournament at Meadow Club.

Ryan McLaughlin

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 03:04:42 PM »
I would say a school that has their own facilities.  Stanford for instance has some of the nicest as do a number of the SEC/Big 12 schools.   Lockers, team rooms, etc. would be the draw.  Academics...well that might come into play.  Some say that USC and UCLA would be good due to the courses they have access to.  That is correct having worked at one that both schools played at, but they were always guests and certainly treated that way.  UCLA has a corner of the intramural field that has a bunker and some artificial turf.  Not really ideal for serious practice.  Long Beach State has a very nice facility at the back of the range at El Dorado Park that is very nice. 

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »
I am interested in Jim Kennedy's suggestion of St Andrews. Would any potential tour player come to Europe to study and play golf at undergraduate level? Is there any study programme (sorry, English spelling) that compares in any way with those in the States? What are the cost implications.

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 03:20:29 PM »
Mark,

St. Andrews would be an excellent call.  It's a very good school.  I don't believe athletic prowess helps you gain undergraduate admission in GB&I however.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Andrew Buck

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 03:58:30 PM »
I would take visits to Stanford, Harvard, Illinois, Georgia Tech and probably Alabama.

Stanford really has it all, academics, courses, quality program.

Harvard is Harvard , plus playing the country club on a regular basis would be nice.

While my local bias is in play with Illinois, I'm pretty sure there isn't a better coach in the country than mike small, considering their regular top 10 finishes and players going to the tour despite being lower level junior players than other top programs.

Georgia tech has history, weather and a good array of courses.

Alabama is current king, but their sports culture and atmosphere would be fun as well.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 03:58:55 PM »
Pepperdine. You get to live in Malibu on the most beautiful campus in America and they play all the top teams up and down the west coast.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Pat Burke

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 04:11:44 PM »
I was an idiot in high school, and didn't have the grades, so went to JC.

When I figured things out, my school choice was simple.  A school close to
home and work, where I would get some aid, but be able to keep working.
I was an asst Supt at a private club, so I took lots of night classes.

I played at a close by DII school, it fit my narrow needs.

Had I choice, UC Santa Barbara (back then).  Great school, great home courses.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 04:56:34 PM »
Pepperdine. You get to live in Malibu on the most beautiful campus in America and they play all the top teams up and down the west coast.

with all that liberal thinking...

It's funny that y'all fall into the trap of naming the best D-1 schools, as though you are going to play.

To get good, you need to be in the starting line-up. If you can't make the starting line-up of your school, get a day job. Ball State is better than Okla State if you're not one of the top fifty amateurs in the country (same goes for Stanford, et al.)

Are you matriculating for the course alone? Wake plays at Old Town, Yale at Yale, Williams at Taconic, and the list goes on for classic tracks spooning with local institutions.

You could go to Manhattanvillle College in Purchase, NY and have a bunch of westy-chesty clubs nearby, but you won't have access unless you get a job there.

If I had a do-over, I'd caddie at Old Town from 1983-1987 instead of doing so much work chartering a fraternity chapter that just got its arse booted off campus in December.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Martin

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »
A lot of great courses are very supportive and generous with opportunities to have local colleges play their golf courses. An example is that Wannamoisett allows Bryant College to play there. I don't know where the Pepperdine Waves play and practice but I can't imagine there is a nicer spot to be than Malibu. That would be my pick. :)

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 05:45:45 PM »
With the price of college, the choice really comes down to money and playing opportunities.  Currently Cal is able to field a strong team because it is a very reasonable cost for California residents and there are more top level juniors at the moment.  A team only has 4 1/2 scholarships to provide.  At the moment, USC is heavily handicapped because a 1/2 scholarship still makes that school more expensive than no scholarship at Cal.  There is a good chance that not one Cal player has a full scholarship and scholarship money can be based upon performance.  Quite a few privates are forced to guarantee scholarships in recruiting players and this is one game where a prolonged slump can happen at a poor time for a program.  On paper, USC had a great team last year, but then some TPI people decided to change 2 players swings and they have failed to crack any eggs since.  On the other hand, Cal had 2 non featured players become their best players last year.  Cal should be strong for a few upcoming years because they are getting really good developing  players who accept that they will have to compete for a spot in the line-up every week.  This is not unlike Houston in the early 70's, except they had around 20 players on scholarship in those days before Title 9 changed the Men's game.

Ryan McLaughlin

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2014, 06:00:03 PM »
Not sure where Pepperdine plays at but I would imagine it requires some driving.  Maybe Sherwood, Calabassas, Woodland Hills even westsiders like Riviera and Brentwood.  

At Santa Barbara City College we had La Cumbre, Sandpiper, Birnam Wood, and Valley Club...go figure.

This is what I'm talking about

http://stanfordmensgolf.com/SVTC_photos.htm

I would never go to class.

BHoover

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2014, 06:03:23 PM »
I think it's an easy choice--Stanford (or Cal) because of weather, accessible courses, academics. If I had to pick somewhere East, it's a toss-up between Duke or Wake.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back