News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Is the 18th at Oak Hill a great hole now?
« on: August 17, 2003, 06:55:38 PM »
Does Micheel's dramatic approach to the final green stamp it as a great hole? If so, (though logically I don't know why that would be), isn't this the prime example of the advantage that courses enjoy that host major championships when it comes to how their holes are perceived?

tonyt

Re:Is the 18th at Oak Hill a great hole now?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 07:23:18 PM »
Good question.

Afterall, when Oak Hill #18 is seen or mentioned, it will often be with the addition of: "site of first time winner Shaun Micheel's shot of the year to within inches".

Kind of a nice way to have your hole introduced, and takes the focus off the architecture of it until you already feel warm and fuzzy inside  :)

buffett_guy

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 07:27:36 PM »
I guess Phil is still the best Micheel without a major?

Chris Kane

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2003, 07:32:53 PM »
Could Micheel's shot into 18 be the greatest approach shot into the final green of a major championship?

Ran,
I don't think so, though it wouldn't surprise me if it is viewed that way by the "masses".  Non-GCA issues dominate the common perception about golf courses, and the championships played there are at the top of that list.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2003, 07:41:50 PM »
Ran,

It's always been considered an excellent golf hole, and this certainly doesn't hurt.

Short-term, that approach shot will make Oak Hill a higher-ranked course in many people's eyes.  Ten or twenty years from now, though, people will wonder if it's such a great course, how did they wind up with that leaderboard at the end?

In truth, who wins a championship has very very little to do with whether it's a great course or not.

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2003, 07:45:48 PM »
In truth, who wins a championship has very very little to do with whether it's a great course or not.

Thank you, Tom.

A corollary to the above is that a single shot has very very little to do with whether any hole is great or not.

Cheers,
Darren

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2003, 08:02:29 PM »
Ran,

Could you revisit this question in the context of Jerry Pate and the 18th at The Atlanta Athletic Club ?   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back