News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Balzer

Top 5 Course Played In Texas
« on: May 09, 2014, 10:36:25 PM »
My Top 5

Preston Trails
Starr Hollow
Pine Dunes
Escondido
Spanish Oaks

Sam Morrow

Re: Top 5 Course Played In Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 10:40:45 PM »
Wolf Point
Whispering Pines
Austin Golf Club
Carlton Woods-Fazio
Old American

Lots of tough choices but I will go with these 5. The top 3 are locked in but I could easily interchange a dozen or so courses in 4 and 5 spot.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:11:06 PM by Sam Morrow »

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 11:14:43 PM »
I have a weird and small sample of Texas courses and nearly all of them I have only played once, but sitting here now, I would say:

1.  Texarkana Golf Ranch (I think it was on the Texas side)
2.  Dallas National
3.  The Bandit
4.  Fazio Canyons - Barton Creek (if that is the one away from the hotel)
5.  Pecan Valley (it was shortly after it hosted a USGA event so it probably was at its peak)

The Texarkana course was in really rough shape so who knows how valid my ranking is but I thought it was a very cool layout on ideal rolling land (albeit seemingly pure clay).

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 11:27:19 PM »
 8)  Jason, Cherish your memories of Pecan Valley.. di you know its NLE?

You need to get around TX a little more...

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Gene Greco

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 10:50:57 AM »
    Have only played a small sample of courses in Texas back in the 80s:

1. Pecan Valley
2. Midland Country Club
3. Lubbock Country Club
4. Odessa Country Club
5. Reese Airforce Base
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 11:35:54 AM »
For those who are interested in that sort of thing, The Dallas Morning News has its list of the best Texas courses coming out tomorrow (5/11).  It is my understanding that there will be a feature article on Jordan Spieth.  Bill Nichols, the paper's golf writer, has been following Jordan for some time and I am sure there will be some interesting insights into the young pro's very special make-up.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 01:38:42 PM »
Looking through my files I was surprised to find that Texas was one of the 6 states in which I have played 5 or more courses (the others are CA, MA, FL, CT and SC).  I was further surprised that TX was tied for 2nd (with FL and SC) in my top 5 of all these states.  Maybe it just shows how pitiful my choice of golf courses has been over my lifetime, but maybe it also shows how good Texas golf might be.  My list:

Brook Hollow
Dallas National
Memorial
Champions (Cypress)
Tour 18 (only time I have have played Amen Corner.....)
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 01:54:16 PM »
Jason, did you like the Redan at the Bandit?

There's a hole there with zero Redan features named "Redan" on the card.

My favorites:

Wolf Point
Champions Cypress Creek
Barton Creek Crenshaw
Austin Golf Club
Dallas Athletic Club

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 09:15:51 PM »
Bill,Blue or Gold at DAC?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 09:37:49 PM »
Bill,Blue or Gold at DAC?

Don't remember, 20 yrs ago, but there was a tough par 4 to a water protected green. 

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 10:23:28 PM »
Sounds like Blue.I prefer Blue but a lot of people like Gold better.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 11:41:54 PM »
Sounds like Blue.I prefer Blue but a lot of people like Gold better.

Blue is very, very good. For many I think they consider it to be the wrong side of Dallas though.

MWagner

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »
Escondido Golf Club
Colonial CC
Champions Golf Club-Cypress
Boot Ranch
Rawls Course at Texas Tech

Honorable mention
Newport Dunes
Ridglea CC-Mens Course
TPC San Antonio Oaks
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:26:13 PM by MWagner »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 09:32:59 PM »
I enjoyed Champions very much, mostly for the company -- Sam Morrow, my son David, and my last round ever with John "Tiger" Bernhardt.  I honestly wasn't that impressed with the course itself, a lot of repetition and big, flattish greens without a lot of contour. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 10:04:34 PM »
I enjoyed Champions very much, mostly for the company -- Sam Morrow, my son David, and my last round ever with John "Tiger" Bernhardt.  I honestly wasn't that impressed with the course itself, a lot of repetition and big, flattish greens without a lot of contour. 

That was a great day, Tiger kept driving it past me and giving me so much shit about it.

Paul Jones

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 10:14:53 PM »
1. Wolf Point
2. Whispering Pines
3. Brook Hollow
4. Oak Hills
5. Austin Golf Club
5. Champions (Cypress)

I think Wolf Point is the far leader with Whispering Pines stand alone second.  You can switch up Brook Hollow, Oak Hills, Champions and Austin GC - they are all really good courses that I would love to be a member of...

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:47:32 PM by Paul Jones »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Paul Jones

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 10:21:10 PM »
A few more notes...

I forgot Oak Hills - and I just played it - it will be in my Top 5.

Fantastic Munis:
  • Memorial Park - Houston
  • Brackenridge Park - San Antonio

Barton Creek - Not a muni, but a real nice high end resort with 3 good golf courses (never played the Palmer)

I found the following to be very high end and similar:
  • Escondido
  • Carlton Woods
  • Dallas National
  • Briggs Ranch
  • Cordillera Ranch
  • Vaquero
  • TPC Craig Ranch

Old School feel:
  • Colonial CC -  little underwhelming
  • Dallas Athletic Club - cant remember which course I played, but enjoyed it
  • Austin CC - great club
  • Riverhill CC - great greens and history

The following courses are on my short list to play:
  • Preston Trails
  • Boot Ranch
  • Spanish Oaks
  • River Oaks
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:39:19 PM by Paul Jones »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Paul Jones

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 10:45:02 PM »

Bill,

I loved the Par 3s at Champions (Cypress).  I probably like the course more than most, but it was not until I played it a 2nd and 3rd time.  That is another thing I like about Champions - they have a great membership.

When I talked to Nuzzo about playing Wolf Point, he told me I could invite 2 people to join me.  I invited Tiger, but he could not make.  He was pretty weak and had plans to go to NY.  He later told me that he wish he could have made the trip with me.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 10:52:17 PM »

Bill,

I loved the Par 3s at Champions (Cypress).  I probably like the course more than most, but it was not until I played it a 2nd and 3rd time.  That is another thing I like about Champions - they have a great membership.

When I talked to Nuzzo about playing Wolf Point, he told me I could invite 2 people to join me.  I invited Tiger, but he could not make.  He was pretty weak and had plans to go to NY.  He later told me that he wish he could have made the trip with me.

Maybe it's because I had a lot on my mind, but I honestly have a very poor recollection of the holes, which to me re silts in a lower personal ranking.  The courses I love, I remember every hole quite clearly. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 10:53:34 PM »

Bill,

Maybe it's because I had a lot on my mind, but I honestly have a very poor recollection of the holes, which to me re silts in a lower personal ranking.  The courses I love, I remember every hole quite clearly. 

On every tee you made a comment about another long par 4.

Paul Jones

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 09:57:35 AM »
For those who are interested in that sort of thing, The Dallas Morning News has its list of the best Texas courses coming out tomorrow (5/11).  It is my understanding that there will be a feature article on Jordan Spieth.  Bill Nichols, the paper's golf writer, has been following Jordan for some time and I am sure there will be some interesting insights into the young pro's very special make-up.

Lou,

I found the link - http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/databases/20140510-top-100-courses-in-the-lone-star-state-and-top-50-you-can-play.ece

I really enjoy this list each year.

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 01:58:47 PM »

Bill,

On every tee you made a comment about another long par 4.

When a solid tee ball goes 210 Max, every par 4 is a long one.   :-X

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 01:59:38 PM »
1. Colonial
2. Spanish Oaks
3. Whispering Pines
4. Champions (Cypress)
5. BraeBurn
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 01:52:31 PM »
1. Whispering Pines
2. Colonial CC
3. Dallas National
4. Brook Hollow
5. Barton Creek (C&C)

Wolf Point is at the top of my "To Play" list. One day....

And Brookhaven holds a special place for me too as it was the first time I broke 70.
Mr Hurricane

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 02:10:57 PM »
1. Whispering Pines
2. Colonial CC
3. Dallas National
4. Brook Hollow
5. Barton Creek (C&C)

Wolf Point is at the top of my "To Play" list. One day....

And Brookhaven holds a special place for me too as it was the first time I broke 70.

Jim, I think you and I are the only two who prefer the Crenshaw Cliffside course at Barton Creek to that manufactured piece of crap, Fazio Foothills.  Fazio Canyons is okay but I prefer Crenshaw's course with all its front to back sloping greens, maybe eight.  Very natural layout.  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 07:01:19 PM by Bill_McBride »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back